Hidden gems

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by piotras, Oct 24, 2013.

1. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

So, the idea about this topic is to post less popular items you personally like a lot and tell us why you find them good. There is a lot of great discussions on the forums about items and their combinations, tactics etc. and it would be great if we could capture that spirit here.

Don't post things which are very popular and/or obviously good (so no Bejeweled Shortsword's or Bern's Untouchable Mail's etc. please), but rather concentrate on things that shine in a particular build or scenario or the way you play them.

To start off I'll talk about a divine weapon True Strike Spear which I find great, cheap and very well rounded weapon. First of all it has no token associated with it, which allows me to save tokens for divine items as I like to priorities these on my generic priest set up. It comes with Tricky Stab which I consider a good ranged attack, although somewhat lacking in damage department. Four of them is a decent number as divine weapons go. It very often wins me games when I know that a low life opponent has a block and synergise well with Flanking Move to strike the final blow over even a bigger distance. I wish I had two of these spears but it also works well with a generic Healer's Spear and such. This sort of pure stabber/Flanking Move priest also allows me to use Spellthwart Shield, which is another very good tokenless item for a character who rather stays at a distance behind a sturdy dwarf :)

2x Bad Luck is a great addition too as it can:
    - well, (surprise surprise) bring bad luck to die rolls (let's say you want that Arcane Aura or Frenzy Aura for a bit longer, cast it on yourself)
    - check for blocks on enemies
    - change the direction in which the opponent/ally is facing to prevent/help block
    - can push out cards and traits attached to a character (don't remember other attaching cards which do not harm you, so it's not as bad to cast on yourself, for example to remove that enemy encumber).

So, what's your hidden gem?

spacedust and Flaxative like this.
  2. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Mushroom Warrior

3. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

Good idea for a thread poitras. :)

4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Awesome thread idea!

I don't know how hidden these are, but I'll talk about a couple inconspicuous items I've got with which I'm madly in love.

I'm running Robes Of Lightness and Untrained Stoutness on my dwarven wizard, for the same reason: traits. I'm obsessed with them. That the former item allows me to reduce my decksize by two for zero tokens is amazing. Hover is surprisingly relevant at times, avoiding lava mostly, and since I took the blessing cards out of my priests' decks it's no longer ever a drawback. And, like any attachment, it can push off the bad ones. The racial skill gives me two traits I love in the current meta (Immovable) and one handicap that's usually an easy pill to swallow (Trip). In combination with traits on other items, my wizard's got an actual deck size of 27 cards or so, increasing my effective number of Winds of War/Whirlwind Enemies by about 50%.

spacedust likes this.
  5. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

Indeed an awesome combination!

6. zelink551

zelink551 Goblin Champion

I think Escapist is one of my favorite Elf Traits. The combination of Slippery and Elvish Insight together is great. Slippery is general can be amazing trait for elves of all kinds. Because while +1/2 speed can be somewhat negligible, being able to dance about the battlefield both on and off turn is FANTASTIC

7. vacantskies

vacantskies Kobold

I really like Redrune Staff. I designed my mage to shutdown other mages and the mobility and counterspelling is great.

Sam Jones likes this.
  8. kogi

kogi Ogre

To add to this Runestone

9. Rockshard Robes I find useful for MP where a mage needs resistant hide. Finding it combined with another useful ability at no power cost is a nice bonus.

Edit: Can't get the link working using the A Card Hunter Card function.

Mod Edit: Fixed it for you - use the "orb" - or Card Hunter Item function

10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

My wizard's using a bunch of those :)

11. Gentlecow

Gentlecow Orc Soldier

For multi-player at least, I think Wall Of Stone was overlooked for a long time... but I think it is starting to find its way into a lot of decks now. And is likely to stay there as long as they don't change/fix it to allow terrain attachment removal to work on it.

12. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

something that would really suit a trait-heavy playstyle with a wizard involved would be the Trembling Staff, although a rare (somehow got 3 of those), throw in some focused pyromancy and you could deal quite decent DOT too :)

13. Pokemath

Pokemath Mushroom Warrior

I'm not sure how mainstream the Sharp Spertum is, but it's great. Don't you love it when your opponent chooses to use something with an Obvious Maneuver and you get a Devastating Blow? I also love the Rod Of Palver Pree.

14. Gentlecow

Gentlecow Orc Soldier

15. PIZZA

PIZZA Orc Soldier

I have had a character walled off at the start of the match, unable to joint the fray for 4 rounds, because of the terrain attachment immunity.

16. Sisquinanamook

Sisquinanamook Orc Soldier

Personally I like shutting off my opponents chars with this card. But I am only playing PvE so far (tried one or two MP matches... I am not that good). I thought it common tactic to use Wall of Stone, didn't know it was overlooked?

17. kogi

kogi Ogre

18. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Really? Randimar is currently offering me those. I've used Wild Run in the past, but I generally avoid cards that force me to discard.

19. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

I like wild run, I use it mostly to escape or to trap, gives a great head-start when used on the first round (when your oldest card is always a race-specific move card) and of course you can use it as the last card in your hand without loosing anything

I can imagine Off-balance Boots being good for a fragile elf wizard or a mobile warrior