[Contest] Splat

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Sir Knight, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Here is a second entry for the first map contest.

. . .

Oh, whoops, I dropped my Card Hunter set and EVERYTHING went all over the place! Maybe it's still playable. I hope you brought your multiplayer figures . . .

Splat.jpg

My only regret is that I could not include a real Neo-Yughto for this "trash heap."

Attached Files:

2. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

Fantastic idea and design. thumbs up

3. Sir Knight

Thank you, thank you.

It could be "splattier," but I have to connect pieces to allow you to run around the map. I think it's possible to dodge and hide (and get trapped) in interesting ways here. I particularly would like to know what happens when you try to Teleport, but I don't have relevant cards yet.

4. tuknir

I have a small complain: you forgot to put some fishes on dry land :p

Going try it later today ;)

5. Sir Knight

Ahem. Look a few squares below the rightmost edge of all those monsters.

6. Card Hunter Joe

Card Hunter Joe Blue Manchu

This is a very cool idea.

7. Sir Knight

I want to submit this thing for Mauve Manticore because a "broken board" map really needs to happen. This means deciding on a fixed party. But I had a terrible time figuring out what would work, so you can see I just gave up the first time (and used the multiplayer party). Anyone have suggestions?

These enemies are thematic for the "trash heap" idea, and as you can see are powerful melee attackers. The setup discourages ranged characters (like Lumbrezz the Mad) because the Festering Zombies may get Resistant Hide. Also, well, ranged attackers would turn the trapped Hell Mantis into a joke.

So I was hoping to get mostly-melee characters who enjoyed a game of chase around the twisty passages of the broken board, picking off enemies and dodging Festering Guts, and trying not to lose Armor to the Hell Mantis's Acid until they were ready to rush it. This did not happen.

Any help?

8. tuknir

Lord Batford was great ranged atacks and alot of dodge and ducks (so kinda of a ninja), give him a check

9. tuknir

i did a map some time ago where 2 lord batfords where having a martial arts match and where atacked, 2 lord batfords work rly good,alot of dodge,ducking and "shurikins" action, and having both, they can use the raise the alarm card.

10. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Various dogs have great movement and blocks, but they're also probably too fragile to take on the mantis or the zombies.

11. Sir Knight

The ranged thing, again, would cause problems what with the enemy ONLY being a threat if you get close. Poor Hell Mantis.

But dogs? Hmm. War Dogs? Rooting through the trash heap? Lemme check.

12. Sir Knight

Okay, it turns out it's not very fun to play a group of War Dogs. They may do enough damage, but you need a whole bunch of them to do so, and it gets visually confusing. This map is big and you can lose track of characters, particularly if they all look alike.

It looks like the "doing enough damage" thing is really critical. And I would like it if the characters had Armor for the Hell Mantis to shred (or the Tan Mold to swat away). Thus, see the attached. You now play as Chef Garcotto (high damage, but Clumsy, which can mess with you during movement), Krelvin (high damage, Armor), and Sharp Cucelden (high damage, range 2, Armor, high movement, but clearly can't survive the battle on his own).

Yes? No? I hope it plays quickly enough that one can judge whether it's working.

Attached Files:

13. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Thaumaturge

I liked the new version each of the several times I played it. That said, I never ventured out of the small arms I started in - there just wasn't any incentive to do so. While the map is cool, the current setup leaves most of it unused, and I won each of the games by hovering around chokepoints and killing the smaller mobs until pretty much just the mantis and/or a couple festering zombies were left. Concept is awesome, execution was fun, but it definitely doesn't seem like it uses the space it's in to maximum potential. Maybe tweak things so that the smaller mobs are more spread out in the weird bits, and your guys are tossed in among them? Perhaps about six random spawn spots for PCs, evenly spaced, with random spawn spots for enemy mobs at least 2-3 spaces away?

14. Sir Knight

The spawn spots for the player are deliberately grouped so that there's a good statistical chance of two characters landing next to each other. Not guaranteed, sure, but I think I'd be annoyed if I always had to scroll across the entire board to manage each of them.

Hey, I've got it. First adding one more spawn cluster to the bottom section (the "grassy" one). Then move all these a little closer to the middle. Then move ALL 1x1 enemies out further in the branches.

So the map is now about you dealing with a flood of small enemies behind you, pushing you toward the big enemy in the middle. With some reinforcements crawling in from the empty parts of the map. Perhaps? I'll go create that.

15. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Thaumaturge

That sounds fun! Look forward to playing it.

16. Sir Knight

Behold! (The attached.)

I don't know if I've solved the problem, but I've definitely changed the game. To ensure that the party, wherever it drops, winds up in immediate and interesting danger, I increased the number of enemies to fill all available spots. Most enemies start in the periphery, but the Tan Mold stays in the middle--this way it doesn't get stuck out on an edge with a couple of Slow cards paralyzing it. (Thank you, playtesting.)

That's 12 Giant Cockroaches now. That's a lot, but note all of these characters can kill a roach with one hit. To alleviate the boredom of sitting while they go through so many cards, I added a Dog Boy to increase player draws. The Dog Boy is trapped on a "splat" up at the top and cannot get into battle. (Which is fine since he's worth 0 Victory Points.)

I think it's playable. I THINK play goes like this: you handle a flood of Giant Cockroaches, hoping not to lose anyone important, and then use your remainder strategically to take down big melee enemies.

Attached Files:

17. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

It's very fun :)

18. Sir Knight

Ooh, yay. Thanks. If I don't run into more oddities, I'll submit this thing to Their Mauveness.