Custom Game Contest - Entries Closed!

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Farbs, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

UPDATE: Entries are now closed. Judging will begin shortly and will most likely take a couple of days. Thanks for participating everyone, it looks like you've made some really interesting stuff!​
    zen_pizza_board.jpg
    WHAT IS THIS?
    It's a short contest where we build awesome custom scenarios.

WHAT CAN I WIN?
    Winner receives 1,000 pizza
    Every entrant receives adulation and levels up in game design skillz

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?
    We want people to make cool things, and I want to play those things!

This contest also serves as a rough draft for future contests, so what we learn here will help us set up similar, more formal events in future. Or maybe they'll be less formal. I dunno. We're learning.

WHEN IS THIS HAPPENING?
    The contest runs for a week, so from now until September 26th 2013
    I won't be strict about timezones

HOW DO I ENTER?
    1. Start a new thread in the Custom Games section of the forum
    2. Make sure your thread title starts with [Contest], so if your scenario is called Trouble With Troggles your thread title would be [Contest] Trouble With Troggles
    3. In your thread's first post include your scenario (.scn) file and a screenshot
    I recommend you post early drafts for feedback, then update the first post with your final entry when you're done.

ARE THERE MORE RULES?
    Yes!
    • Entries will be judged by Blue Manchu, but possibly just me.
    • Entries must be single player scenarios only. These can be party vs monsters or monsters vs monsters, but not party vs party.
    • Entries must be created and posted within the contest period. Please don't enter epic adventures that you've been quietly crafting for months.
    • Multiple entries are permitted, but please try to keep it within reason.
    For further clarification, read/shout in the thread below.

WOO?
    Woo!

Neofalcon, Banezilla, Z3stra and 5 others like this.
  2. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

Here is my entry. Where is my adulation?

Jokes aside, I look forward to seeing the entries!

Farbs likes this.
  3. progammer

progammer Ogre

4. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Cool, I've been thinking about some new maps - time to get a-cracking!

5. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

erm, might wanna put a limit per forum account somewhere. Mainly to prevent me from spamming lvl 1 to lvl 50 plant vs zombie boards. ;)

6. renders

renders Kobold

I think I'll give it a try later too,1000 pizza could help me unlock all the campaign missions

7. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Ding! Just got inspiration for this contest.

If any of you competitors are telepathic and try to steal my brilliant idea, that hydra's gonna eat you.

8. Farbs

9. Pengw1n

Any possibilty to adding this as a in-game news bit? If there's room for 2 or scrolling newbits on the landing page? I just told some people from the mp lobby about this competition yesterday.

Edit: A suggestion would also be to announce this in the fb group, as well as in announcements. Not sure everyone's browsing the custom forum if they're not currently making a map.

10. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

This time limit is really rough on us slow folks. I've got two ideas that I think would be interesting, but I'm having trouble finding the right monsters to use.

Idea 1: I need a 2x2 monster with only Run for movement; rest of the deck is irrelevant.

Idea 2: I need someone who draws a lot of Bash or Simple Bash (Strong Bash won't work). Also, they can't draw any team moves (the deck used by Servants and Dog Boys has 3x Bash and 6x Team Shift).

Any suggestions? Melvelous isn't loading, so I can't use him for #1. I might be able to invert the board of #2 to get Servants to work.

11. Sir Knight

Kobold Avengers have various Bash-y cards, but they can do a large amount of damage (Shambling Bash). Muscular Zombies are similar. Hmmm . . . were there any gelatinous nasties with Bash?

As to fast large enemies, I just used a bunch of 2x2 enemies in preparing my map, and I couldn't find any. I'm wracking my brain for any enemies (other than Melvelous) who would fit thematically as large AND fast.

12. Farbs

Pengw1n - Thanks for the suggestions! We're deliberately starting this out small, to see how it goes and to collect feedback like this. If (or much more likely when) we run something like this again we will probably promote it a bit more.

Pengw1n likes this.
  13. Z3stra

Z3stra Kobold

Here is my entry. I hope you enjoy it :)

Attached Files:

14. Pengw1n

Are we allowed multiple entries - and if so, even if allowed - do you WANT us to?

15. Farbs

Multiple entries are fine this time around, but I guess if someone spams out a lot of trash then some of their entries might not get played. I'll update the OP.

16. Sir Knight

I am suddenly inspired to create a "trash heap" map. Hmm. How many hideous graphical mismatches can I fit on one board . . . ?

17. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Protip: the broken board doodads are on the Tavern palette (took me forever to find them the first time).

18. Gabbek

Gabbek Orc Soldier

So much fun making those scenarios! I think you got me addicted... :)

19. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I made one and i like it. But it really is a pain and i feel for people that do this professionally.
    Is that enough dodads? What if i change this thing... no now i have to change those things as well... How did i ruin it all!

20. Gabbek

Gabbek Orc Soldier

Is that enough dodads is always the question :D I guess there should be some people for making *just dodads*... that would make everyone's life easier ^^ hehehe
    PS: Forgot to mention on this thread that I've made my entries!