[Contest] Pengw1n Presents: the Hallway of Horrors

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Pengw1n, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Updated: Yet another MM test version - > Here!

This is my entry in the custom map contest mentioned here.

Setting: You (the player) meet this grumpy guy at your local game store, who claims to be God's gift to Card Hunter. Naturally, you want to prove him wrong and suggest you play him in this module that is included in the latest issue of the Mauve Manticore.

Can you beat the rude stranger who doesn't even bother introducing himself, since he claims everyone who matters would know who he is? Can you stick it to the man and earn your place in the Cardhuntrian Pantheon? Can you become a card playing God?!

Custom Rules: I would suggest not bringing either Whirlwind or Whirlwind Enemies, as that can easily break the map due to how some enemies are spawned in supposedly locked positions. Firestorm and Volcano builds probably makes this less of a challenge, but that is up to you as the player what kind of challenge you want in the end.

Variable Difficulty: The map is balanced around a lvl 18 mp party with the free starter pack (the Adventurers) - and some additional gear, while still being quite hard. If you find the map too easy/hard you can change the number of Golems (or even type of Golem) that spawn. There are spawns points for 1-4, where 3 is the number I went for in the release and 6 spawn points for Traplings, where the full number is used. Number of Guardians is 6, and I would suggest using them all - as that's part of the maps structure and supposed to be avoided rather than killed. As a last note, remember to change Victory Points from 12 if you apply any changes to the monster inclusion. Every Copper Golem is worth 2, and every Trapling 1 - do *not* count the Guardians.

Challenge: For the truly godlike - can you beat the map without striking a single enemy? I challenge thee!

Hints: This is not a straight up stand and fight adventure. Not thinking will result in failure, if you're not running some kind of legendary twink patrol.

Hallway_1_s.png Hallway_2_s.png

Enjoy!

/Pengw1n

Attached Files:

Jayce likes this.
  2. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Funniest thing about Mr. Anonymous. He brought a familiar deck box to the table.

3. Pengw1n

Nudge nudge wink wink.

4. Pengw1n

I added a MM version that I would appreciate some testing before submission. Have at it brave custom-ers!

5. marmaris74

marmaris74 Kobold

The Chef is insane. I killed 2 golems on the first turn just by him, with no one but my Mercenary receiving any damage.

6. Pengw1n

Seems the chef can make it a matter of luck. Tuknir said the same thing. Might have to switch him out for a more generic character (another mercenary maybe), but more likely to add a 4th golem.

7. A couple of things:

- It's way too easy to kill the Golems. I killed them all during round two, with all my characters still alive
    - major issue: Guardians draw 9 cards which will make the Flash freeze!!!! This is exactly what happened to me during round 3. It does not happen always, but it will happen occasionally when monsters draw something like 6+ cards. You need to fix this by splitting the monsters in multiple groups so that you get the card drawing down as much as possible.
    - suggestion: add a random tile (hidden under some clutter like dice bag etc.) in the top-left part of the map (outside the current map). This trick will change the center point of the map so that player party is at the center of the screen at the start.

8. Pengw1n

Yeah, Garcotto seems to be to powerful - and removing any sense of urgency of movement. Since this is supposed to be a running fight, it seems like he has to go. I never had the freeze happen to me in all my testing (now and before), but splitting the guardians is a possibility if that helps avoid issues for some people. I'll test the random tile for my next version to see how that works out, good tip!

9. Pengw1n

New test version:

• Map is focused on starting party as suggested.
    • Guardians are now split into 2 groups (the trait bug still seems to happen occasionally).

• Garcotto has been degraded to a regular mercenary.

Feedback wanted on difficulty and sense of urgency. I'll possibly remove the 2nd mercenary all together if still found to simple to beat the golems if there's no need for a retreating battle, another possibility is to shorten the corridor (-1 guardian on each side) and having the traplings start closer.

Appreciate any feedback :)

Attached Files: