TK's thoughts

Discussion in 'Castle Mitternacht Playtest' started by HisRoyalHygiene, Aug 28, 2016.

1. HisRoyalHygiene

HisRoyalHygiene Guild Leader

I took a bunch of notes while playing and they don't really fit anywhere so I'm just going to throw them all down here.

Love the theme! Item names are fantastic! Definitely a powerful array of new cards, perhaps too powerful? Disappointed with the lack of helms though :p

Odd stuff:
    Talissa's trident makes Elf Maneuvers playable again.
    The anti-burst stuff doesn't make a whole lot of sense as the summer balance changes made burrft unplayable. Is @Flaxative intending to de-nerf burst any time soon? :p

Vengeance
    It's Sparkling Cloth Armor on an attack card. Unlike SCA, isn't easily removed. I was surprised that this effect stacks. I presume vengeance is here to counter the...

Mighty new control staffs
    Gusting Feystaff and Prankster's Feystaff allow for the ultimate control wizzies. The former being (majortoken)(minortoken) seems a bit inexpensive to me.

Walpurgis Night
    Love the name! It has the unexpected effect of drawing a card for every player affected. This makes sense because it is a trait but seems odd as the trait isn't 'played' by the character, so it feels like it should be similar to other attachment cards. I also find the wording on the card a little confusing. And it seems odd that it's not blockable by enemy characters.

Boo!
    I love the theme of this card but it is crazy powerful. Even with purge available as a counter, I'd be running this every chance I get.

Sacred Shroud
    Oh nelly, this is powerful on a tanky priest. a 3+ dice roll gives 2 armor and up to 6 health healed. As it triggers on both melee and magic, I think it's more powerful than barbed platemail and it's only a silver card. can't believe you can get 2 on a (minortoken) item.

Investigate/Gumshoe's Gumshoes
    A character who retreats can run behind cover and heal when his allies are damaged... this card is OP against cardo and I'd love to try it against other players but getting 3 on a (minortoken) seems excessive.

2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Thanks for all the thoughts.

The card does say everyone draws a card on it. And it's unblockable because of that (like Dwarven Battle Cry). We don't want effects where your whole team draws cards but the enemy blocks, effectively netting you absurd card advantage. (And the reason for the draw effect here in the first place is so that everyone gets a card associated with their form to play with immediately. It seemed more fun?)

By introducing anti-burst *counterplay* we can theoretically reenable burst toys at a later date. Note that these mechanics also make Blesscano a bit less good, specifically the cano part.

You correctly pointed out a lot of the strongest effects in the set, and in some places you suggested that they might be too strong. What do you think; can they be balanced with number/quality tweaks in our broader playtest? (I.E. could Vengeance with lower damage be more fair?) Or do you think some of these effects are so bonkers we need to fix them/possibly remove some cards entirely at this stage?

3. I feel that everything can be brought in line with numbers tweaks. I don't think there's any mechanic so broken it's unsalvageable.

CT5 and Flaxative like this.
  4. HisRoyalHygiene

I tried to avoid direct suggestions as I haven't tested most of these against other players but here are my thoughts:

Boo
    Fright's damage is two-fold: aside from not being able to attack for a round, it usually means a large number of cards are discarded at the end of the round. I think Panic (a 1 character pre-nerf whirlwind that causes the user to lose a turn) would be better and thematically congruent.

Shroud
    could probably activate on a 4+ roll but because I've only played against cardo, this is just theoretical.

Investigate
    I really like the effect of this card and think it should be left as-is. But as it is in line with other gold cards making it gold would be appropriate imo.

Spark of Undeath
    Blind Rage, Brains and Infected Bite. Super powerful - could do with something negative, perhaps Nightling or Encumber (for theme) or more damage to the character (2 is easily shrugged off)? Festering guts would also be on theme. A duration 1 version of it would be a lot of fun to play! Obviously I'm just throwing ideas out here, I honestly don't know how I'd change it.

Silversmith/Fey Silversmith
    I could not see a situation where I would run this. I think silversmith could easily become a bronze card to be in line with most other damage amplifying traits (bruiser, slicer, spark generator etc)

Vanguard
    Fantastic. This is what Cardhunter is all about. It really requires some thought for positioning to make sure the extra movement goes to the character you want. Congratulations to whoever came up with this card's idea.

5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

It isn't supposed to be free move. You think that a plain Run with heal 2 every time an ally takes damage, is Gold?

It's supposed to be bronze, actually. Thanks.

6. HisRoyalHygiene

I think that would be a silver... and much less interesting :p