[SUGGESTION] New Card Instruction - 'Charge'

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by adajon, Oct 27, 2015.

?

What do you think of this idea?

1. Great! I can't think of anything that could be altered.

2. OK! Here are some things that could be altered (please reply with suggestions).

3. Awful! You might as well just delete the thread and give up now.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. adajon

adajon Thaumaturge

My proposal is that a new card instruction be added to Card Hunter, with some new cards to host it. This would be 'Charge', and the layout of the instruction would be as follows:

'Charge [number] when [something happens].'
    'When Charged [number], [do something].'

So, basically, when a specific event defined by the first part of the instruction occurs, the card 'charges' by a specific amount. This could be shown by a number in one corner of the card, similar to the duration counter of trait and handicap cards. When this charge reaches a specific level, a different event would immediately be carried out.

It might be easier to give a few example cards to demonstrate this. (Note: these are just examples, so may not be balanced.)

Name: Emergency Power Reserve
    Type: Trait
    Instructions:
    Trait. Attach to self, Duration 3.
    When you take damage, Charge 1. When Charged 5, Heal 8 and discard this card.

Name: Backfiring Magic
    Type: Handicap
    Instructions:
    Trait. Attach to self, duration 2.
    When you deal Magic damage, Charge 1. If that damage is over 6, Charge an additional 1. When Charged 4, take 5 unpreventable Arcane damage and discard this card.

Name: Kinetic Generators
    Type: Armour
    Instructions:
    (On a roll of 3+) Armour 2, Keep.
    Whenever you move 1 square for any reason, Charge 1. When Charged 10, draw 3 cards. When Charged 20, draw 3 cards and disable subsequent charges (this could be shown, perhaps, by placing a red 'x' on the aforementioned 'charge counter').

I think this would be a fun feature to add to some new cards, and might add in a little more strategy when planning what to do. What do you think?

2. This charging mechanic could *sort of* be replicated by having different cards representing different levels, and with cards replacing themselves with ones with higher levels -- sort of like how the security robots play one card (charging their lasers) that effectively replaces itself (firin' their lasers as a mandatory action).

That form might screw with certain "generate a random card of <x> type" mechanics, though (although admittedly that's only for Laser and Magic Laser AFAICT).

billiska likes this.
  3. adajon

adajon Thaumaturge

I see what you mean - this would work very well for some types of card, like armour, as it is (generally) a continuous card and is not (generally) discarded when used. Here are some example cards to demonstrate what I mean:

Name: Uncharged Altruistic Breastplate
    Instructions:
    (On a roll of 4+) Armour 3, Keep.
    When you Heal an ally, Charge 1. When Charged 4, generate a 'Powered Altruistic Breastplate' card and discard this card.

Name:
    Powered Altruistic Breastplate
    Instructions:
    (On a roll of 4+) Armour 4, Keep. When this armour prevents damage, Heal your nearest ally that amount.
    When you Heal an ally, Charge 1. When Charged 6, generate an 'Overclocked Altruistic Breastplate' card and discard this card.

Name:
    Overclocked Altruistic Breastplate
    Instructions:
    (On a roll of 4+) Armour 5, Keep.
    When this armour prevents damage, Heal your allies that amount and deal that much unpreventable Holy damage to the nearest enemy.

Using your idea would allow Charge effects to be continuous, and not just single-use - for example, charging a trait card to upgrade it and cause it to grant a better extended effect. However, it would mean that multiple levels of charge couldn't be granted from the same card:

4. Mama Mia

Mama Mia Hydra

Totally dig this idea! But you don't want to confuse this with Rocket Charge or Brutal Charge or plain Charge. Charge is a good name this card instruction but maybe it could be called something else...

seth arue likes this.
  5. adajon

adajon Thaumaturge

I agree... I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps something simple like 'Power Up'?
    For example, 'Power Up 1 when you take damage. When Powered to 5, Heal 5.'

6. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

How about "Empower"?

7. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Grow, Strengthen, Load, Swell, Bloom, Expand, Develop

8. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Bolster, Infuse, Progress

9. mikey76500

mikey76500 Hydra

What @adajon, @seth arue and @Flaxative said. I personally think that Charge, Rocket Charge, Brutal Charge, etc should have their names replaced with "Tackle", "Rocket Tackle", "Brutal Tackle", etc., but, that might be hard work for Jon and BM to do [and to be honest, they have more important things to do], so, Power Up is definitely the best sounding alternative to this.

Great idea, otherwise; just needs less broken examples.....which I can't state here, I think. Better suited in the Card ideas thread.

10. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Load could actually wirk, considering I'm also imagining things that could get *worse* when you load them.
    Ex:
    Improvised Armor:
    Armor 3, 3+, Keep
    If this armor prevents a melee attack, load 1. (Place a load token on this.)
    When this has 3 load tokens, discard and place an Ill-fitting Armor card in your hand.

timeracers likes this.
  11. adajon

adajon Thaumaturge

Yes, 'Load' would work in this circumstance - but it would not make much sense for, well, any non-armour card really. A more general term would be better, which could work for everything in any circumstance, good or bad.

12. Dwedit

Dwedit Goblin Champion

Major problem, there's already a charge :)

13. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Read previous replies, this was already addressed.