FTL: Advanced Edition announced

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pengw1n, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

An awesome free update to an awesome game, presented with a very fancy trailer.

Phaselock likes this.
  2. zelink551

zelink551 Goblin Champion

What is FTL? I've heard about it as a sort of spaceship simulator but you've piqued my interest!

3. Pengw1n

Yeah, that's pretty much it. More of a spaceship romp with hectic battles and text adventures with different outcome based on what ship, gear or crew you have et c - lots and lots nasty ways to die.

4. zelink551

zelink551 Goblin Champion

worth the 10$ deposit?

5. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Yep, it's easily worth $10. I love this game.

6. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Agreed, its a lovely piece... until the ship burns T.T

7. Farbs

Just open all the airlocks! That's what I usually did anyway. Heck, for a while I toyed with leaving them open the whole time so that fires never started and intruders quickly perished. Of course I had to keep a couple of doors closed so that my own crew survived, and things got pretty dicey when they needed to move around, but it sort of worked.

spacedust likes this.
  8. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

That's what I did, and then the next missile hits the door control...and the next one hits the O2... :eek:

9. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Defense drones generally work well against missiles.

It's a great game!

10. Turbo164

Turbo164 War Monkey

It's on my wishlist, will probably pick it up next time it's on sale.

@zelink551 and other undecideds: search Youtube for a Lets Play (like most games, there's a bunch, including Game Grumps if you're a fan of their comedic ineptitude :p ). Watching it in action looked much more fun than just reading/screenshots.

11. growlithe169

growlithe169 Kobold

Sweet I'm excited. When I first saw this thread i thought it just got released but still Early 2014 is pretty good.

12. Farbs

Does the $5 you might save actually mean anything to you?
    What if it never goes on sale again?
    Also buy from the developer: http://www.ftlgame.com/

13. Turbo164

Turbo164 War Monkey

Well if I planned on playing it tonight, I wouldn't mind spending an extra $5.

But since tonight I will probably be playing Cardhunter and/or Borderlands 2 and/or Dota 2 and/or LoL and/or Puzzle Strike and/or working overtime and/or writing more of the DnD campaign I'm dm'ing and/or starting one of the 30 games already purchased in my Steam library that I have not launched since purchasing them... Don't really see any harm in waiting for it to be cheaper and/or me to run out of already paid for forms of entertainment.

Same reason I haven't bought Starcraft 2 [or heck any consoles since the Gamecube]; it's something I'll probably want to have played before I die, but my hours are filled as-is and by the time I am ready to play it, it might be cheaper. Or I will have died, and my family would rather have the money than a license key. Or the sequel will have come out.

So yeah, I'll probably play FTL in 2016 or whenever. I'd happily pay $10 then, or if it happens to go on sale before that, I'll pay $5, and let it sit between Dawn of War 2 and um...Halflife or whatever.

Sorry if this sounds cynical, there's just not enough hours in the day for me to justify paying extra for something just so it can collect dust longer. :(

14. Farbs

That seems reasonable, yeah. Sorry for taking a swipe at you there.

As someone trying to make a living from games, the new "Just buy games when they're heavily discounted" and "I have so many games bought at insane discount that there's no point buying any more" attitudes are really worrying. Of course, our being free to play probably doesn't help matters. Regardless, whereas $20 seemed a reasonable price for a low budget game just a few years ago, now people balk at paying more than $5. It's terrifying.

15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader Staff Member

Are you sure that it's not just that there are more people buying more games, and thus more people in the market who have a smaller budget per game? I would guess that anyone who bought games for 20$ a few years ago would still buy comparable games for comparable prices today. Just a thought—I haven't done any market research :)

16. Farbs

Honestly I have no idea!

17. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Cliff Harris (Cliffski, Democracy 3, Gratuitous Space Battles) thinks $25 is a fine price for a quality indie game, or maybe $29.99 would be even better. In my opinion, good games are always worth their price. Please don't ever sell yourselves short, Card Hunter is an excellent game and would absolutely be worth $25. The way this game takes hold of you, any price is soon cents per hour of game time. A trivial cost.

18. Pengw1n

Indie pricing would make an excellent discussion (I mean it - maybe we should?), but let's not derail from our space adventure here! ;)

19. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

FTL is so good. iPad edition will rock my world when it comes out!

20. Farbs

Has anyone tried playing any FTL mods yet?