You guys really need to hire an author to write an in game story

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by epicteus, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. epicteus

epicteus Kobold

I feel like this is such a waste. It looks like the game could be set up to be an awesome D&D style adventure, with added adventures possibly user created with a real time DM.

instead it looks like this is just going to flash browser, chinese farm game.

Harandir likes this.
  2. DevourKing

DevourKing Kobold

I really enjoyed the story. Was humorous and easy to follow in that, I just wanted to play cards.

User adventures, whilst still in Beta, may not be out yet. But they will come. Real time GM, sounds pretty cool.

Harandir likes this.
  3. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

I really enjoyed the meta-story, which is really more about Gary & Melvin. I'm sure we'll see a more cohesive adventure story in future expansions - as I heard it, the adventures were designed before they even decided to HAVE a story and tieing the adventures together is sort of a patch-job.

So, while I agree with you - there's a reason for it. Think they can do a bang up campaign (with both story and meta-story) for the future!

4. Jotun

Jotun Mushroom Warrior

The whole point is not to have a D&D style adventure. Making it about DnD players is much more fun/unique.

Zoorland and Mad Mulligan like this.
  5. Card Hunter Joe

Card Hunter Joe Blue Manchu

It's worth going back and reading the stories in the original D&D modules like B2. There, um, wasn't much.

6. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

I think the story is very nice as is, and as Joe said, it's actually kind of representative of old modules.

However, I can see where the request is coming from. I too would like to see the map scenario system eventually become sophisticated enough for the community to make modules/adventures that might be a little more narrative focused. Features like a player "DM" controlling the monsters, more than 2 players, or separate inventories for custom campaigns would all be bonuses.

7. Lockon

Lockon Mushroom Warrior

Again, the module's story is just background. The characters we care about is Gary, Melvin and you know who(Not spoiling for the newer guys.) and their Card Hunter related drama and headache.

8. jjfoley

jjfoley Mushroom Warrior

**EDIT** Dang. I just found out that Kevin did NOT get a chance to write the story for the game after all was said and done. Sorry for the misinformation (below). But I still enjoyed the story!

What cracks me up is I know the professional they hired on a contract basis to write the story. Kevin Kulp is one of the best storytellers I know. He's very active in the D&D community, having been a moderator on ENWorld for years. He had the pleasure of being the moderator for a forum at a recent con where Wizards of the Coast gave a preview of D&D Next. He spoke on a panel a few PAXEast's ago about how to run a long-term role-playing campaign (having kept a weekly game with friends running for over a decade.) He's recently had an RPG system published (Owl Hoot Trail, http://www.pelgranepress.com/?cat=208) and is about to KickStarter another RPG system called TimeWatch which I had the pleasure of playtesting.

In other words, you're not seeing the remnants of something that could have been. The story is exactly what the creators wanted, and ties in perfectly to the meta-D&D theme of the whole experience.

9. kogi

kogi Ogre

What I really want is my own map, where I can host custom campaigns which anyone can play.

10. Runan

Runan Mushroom Warrior

I think the story is cool. Really enjoyed it.

11. jjfoley

jjfoley Mushroom Warrior

Dang. I just found out that Kevin did NOT get a chance to write the story for the game after all was said and done. Sorry for the misinformation (below). But I still enjoyed the story!

I edited my above post to reflect this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.