Why the Double Edged Sword is the Best Weapon in the Game

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Han Lee, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Han Lee

Han Lee Guild Leader

HaniPoo
    Level 16 Human Priest

HaniBalls
    Level 1 Dwarf Warrior

HaniButt
    Level 1 Dwarf Warrior

This deck has reliably gotten me to a 70-75% win rate at the 1600-1700s in the current map rotation. Double edge sword is really a powerhouse, capable of both dancing and penetration (twice in one go!). If you have two double edged swords, that means 4 dances and 4 penetrations with 2 blunt attempts at penetration that sometimes go through, and sometimes don't. To make up for the lack of power that bejeweled elves have, we have a reliable friend with the strongarm. The rest is regular old play, unless you can draw dancing cut and teleport self at the same time. This transforms your regular old penetrating dwarf to a teleporting ninja penetrating dwarf that leaves your opponent dazed and hungry (what?).

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  2. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

Looks a little bit like the build I used to get the first time above 1500 elo, which is discussed very detailed here: Uncommon Stab Elves
    I would prefer elves :p and with that I dont like Perilous Ringmail or Spiked Tlahuiztli anymore. I would prefer Xander's Mail or Dependable Mail. A problem with the build I had is finding myself waiting for better draws, since the Double-edged Swords can provide some really bad draws. Because of that I prefered the mails which let me sit back and wait for the opponent doing the first step. How are your experiences? Did you try Tough Leather Cap? On elves I would prefer the Angry Jack's Helmet, but on dwarves I would prefer the additional movement of the cap. If I would spend a major token on boots, I would spend it for Sliding Boots, because all three cards have a great synergy with your warriors.

When I was able to add a solid support priest, I hit the 1600s for the first time, if I remember correctly. Maybe it was getting the third Aegis. ;) Anyway, for me the priest should also fit into the concept, so I used a St. Olf's Fiery Pike and would have used Huetotl's Firebrand if I had one. But I am not sure, what I used as devine items together with that. I think having the mass frenzy is the most important part and then the movement, which I miss on your build. You should try something with Team Walk, like Sliding Boots or Captain Cedric's Boots. My priest back than had a lot items which helped to draw the mass frenzys and team walks more often. I think for some time I used Shuddering Relics, but that was not that great. I think I switched to Vampire's Blade and some Incense Of Roiled Air. Especially the later one helped a lot, because the opponent will most likly do the first step and being able to punish bad positioning is the big upside of this build.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    FDrybob likes this.
  3. Han Lee

Han Lee Guild Leader

The most important part about this build is the Blind Rage (also the worst part, if you can't get in range and are stuck with pure attack cards). There are 3 of those in this deck, which is vital because it turns your dead cards into strong hacks (Backbiting Strike + MF + Blind Rage + reliable mail for damage reduction). I used to use elves all the time, but I found that I couldn't stack enough buffs since my priest didn't consistently give me mass frenzy (I dislike st olf's fiery pike with a passion but would use a firebrand if I ever got one ^^). I begrudgingly switched to dwarves as a result (that said, it didn't really change my win rate much, just more fun to play because I hit harder).

I prefer boots of safety to team walks in the current map rotation. There are a lot of juke points available where you can bait your enemy --> teleport to kill his weaker support characters. Or if you're playing vs wizards, these boots enable you to rush like no other boots can (there probably are, but I like the teleporting ninja concept xD). That said, if I do get 2 Sliding Boots, will try it out!

Obernoob likes this.
  4. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

CT5 likes this.
  5. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

CT5 likes this.
  6. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

Double-Edged is definitely top-tier, but I wouldn't call it the best weapon in the game. The introduction of Slice And Dice in EttSC has replaced it in many of my builds :)

Fifjunior7 and CT5 like this.
  7. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

@Pawndawan You forget to link the Stab warriors: Uncommon Stab Elves :p
    I think it has better synergies with Cautious Mobility and has great synergies with itself, as has the Double-edged Sword with itself. But they have different use cases. Slice And Dice having better synergie with Cautious Mobility is funny, because the Double-edged Sword is way more cautious. ;)

Han Lee likes this.
  8. Han Lee

Han Lee Guild Leader

Slice and dice is great for close combat when you have blocks, mobility, and card draw. This means that it can synergize with things like nova axe, laser rapier, and bjss. With double edged sword, you can often engage and control more territory because of the range two. Rather than being a close range killing machine, this territorial control allows for further control of enemy movements. And then you use teleport and juke the enemy's support character/wizards. Really, boots of safety is the key to making this build as effective as it is. I tried sliding boots and it severely lacks in the juke factor, which often wins games by a landslide instead of a simple tradeoff.

9. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

as I said:

Interesting concept. If I think about it, it is the same why the Vibrant Pain is as good as it is. You just jump over therir tank and attack their support characters. Maybe I should try that boots.

Han Lee likes this.
  10. Han Lee

Han Lee Guild Leader

Have since replaced healing hand mace and bloody command for better healing and more team moves, and it's been much more effective. Knife Of St. Blenko and Perfect Command.

11. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

12. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

Perfect Command, especially if you're running dwarves. Heck, pretty sure I'd go with Perfect Command for elf warriors too, if I ever use a human priest for that and want to spend a token.

13. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

Interesting, we had the same dicsussing during the Champion of Cardhuntria tournament. Having two solid team moves on the priest with Perfect Command is definitly sweet. But there is the sweet upside of a Sprint Team. Maybe it is one of that cards where you just remember when it was really broken, like first turn placing both warriors beside the opposing wizards. Often enough Dash Team is as sweet.

CT5 likes this.