Why Staff of Flames is the best staff in the game

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by Gingrich Yurr, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Gingrich Yurr

Gingrich Yurr Thaumaturge

Staff Of Flames is the best staff in the game. Let me explain why.

First of all, don't be fooled by the 1 damage written on Ember Spray. It is a cone attack, meaning it can hit up to eight squares. So in reality, this attack does 8 damage, and another 16 damage over time. Likewise for Fire Spray, it doesn't do just 2 damage, it does 16 damage, and 32 damage over time. So Ember Spray does a total of 24 damage and Fire Spray 48 damage. Since this staff has three of each, it does 216 damage in total!

So we have established the raw power of the staff. But raw power isn’t everything, as I’m sure you all know. So what else does this staff have to offer? It counters Smoke Bomb. Smoke Bomb is the bane of all wizards, many a wizard have been known to be helpless just because of a simple Smoke Bomb thrown by the opposition. Not anymore. Every attack on this staff is still able to hit the eight squares even if a Smoke Bomb is present!

In addition, this staff doesn’t care about Clumsy at all. Clumsy is the worst handicap of all handicaps. Look how easy it is to kill those powerful, but Clumsy Goblin Hulks, just because of that one accursed handicap. This staff doesn’t care either. Before your attacks, you can change your facing, meaning any foolish foes trying to sneak behind your wizard while Clumsy is attached is in for a big surprise.

Now let me show you the perfect build for this magnificent staff.

Suicide

Level 1 Elf Wizard

As you can see, there are 8 Ember Sprays, 9 Magma Sprays, and 10 Fire Sprays. There is even a Burning Fingers thrown in if you need you need the extra range, though you shouldn’t need it if you play the deck properly. The key to this deck, apart from the staves, are the Muscle-bound Boots and the Novice Footwork skill. These give you 3 Muscle Throughs in total. Use it to rush right beside an enemy, and push them 1 square away from you, just in range of your attacks. It always works, and nobody expects it. There is even a Clumsy that we can nullify with our attacks and a Vulnerable which is for the most part, harmless. After all, you are 1 square away from the enemy! There is no possible way they can hit you from that range, apart from wizards. Weapons containing step attacks like Vibrant Pain and Bejeweled Shortsword are rarely used, as are weapons with range two attacks like Double-edged Sword. Lastly, using an elf wizard is crucial to this build, as you really need that extra mobility to get close to the enemy as fast as possible.

Try it out, and use it all the time in ranked. It will be difficult at first, and you may lose a lot of games, but you will be able to improve with practice and time. Good luck.

2. Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  3. HerselfTheElf

HerselfTheElf Orc Soldier

2 range attacks can't harm your wizard in smoke. So only the rare step attack will be a problem. Awesome build, too bad I don't have the items for it. This build is why I have step attacks, everyone calls me crazy and prefers to use Pressing Bash, but I'll stick to it should I ever run into this nearly unbeatable build.

4. Rohndil

Rohndil Hydra

Oh my, it's already April. How time flies!

5. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

I guess you just haven't looted Staff of Guttering Flames yet, not only does it do 16 more damage it also has some added utility from simple bash. But the real power comes with Staff of the Fire God because Fireballs hit 25 enemies! Doing 4 damage now and 2 damage later. For a total of 150 damage each. Having 2 of those, you don't even need to see the rest of the cards to know it is good, though if you have searing pain you can get 3 fireballs from it!

Potato Priest likes this.
  6. Gingrich Yurr

No, you are wrong, if you are trapped in the middle of a Smoke Bomb and use Fireball you will just hit yourself. Also it cannot counter Clumsy. Staff of Flames is clearly better.

7. Fireball is nothing compared with the power of volcano. Because volcano will reliably cover every occupied square (which is, of course, every square) with lava, it will often deal over 1000 damage just in the first turn of operation!* Also, because it converts every tile to lava, it completely counters Gingrich Yurr's build's reliance on smoke bomb. Combining it with Firestorm (720 damage**) on Wym's Lavastaff for dual minor tokens was a major oversight on the part of the devs.

*Depending upon map size
    ** This takes into account that the area of effect for firestorm is 11x11, the fact that it does 6 damage, and that you have to occupy the square in the middle for -6 damage to the enemy.

8. Gingrich Yurr

My build does not rely on Smoke Bombs, it merely counters Smoke Bomb. You know what Smoke Bomb can counter? Volcano. Also, Firestorm forces you to do self damage unless you have Resistant Hide which you can only have one of in your deck. The Spray cards on the other hand, unlike Volcano and Firestorm, can be used in any situation, and cannot be countered. Hence they are far superior to Wym's Lavastaff.

9. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

No one, and I mean NO ONE wants to damage themselves. If you use firestorm or volcano you might damage yourself, which is why you DON'T USE THEM. There is a reason why hardly anyone ever uses firestorm or volcano, including in SP. Don't tell me you are using armors to reduce the damage because that means you are playing armors just for reducing self damage, and most of the armors people use to reduce the damage discard themselves after use like toughness or rusty armor, or even cloth armor.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  10. vitreo84

vitreo84 Goblin Champion

You forgot that staff of fire god has also some Magma spray :) so you can use the magma spray when you are smoked and then wait and save in hand.. waiting for smoke to disappear.

11. Robo11500

Robo11500 Mushroom Warrior

That is all good but what if you opponents have a Resistant Hide in hand, are we just considering that you don't have a team, how will this wizared deal with this.

12. Gingrich Yurr

That is correct, however most people use wizards with 4 times Smoke Pin, and 2 times Smoke on the Water, meaning Smoke Bombs will never run out. Also, what if you have Clumsy? Hence, I cannot put four terrible cards into my deck just to get two fantastic Magma Sprays, even though they are indeed very good.

Don't worry, I have a warrior with many Sundering Strikes to get rid of Resistant Hide. Sundering Strike is, of course, the best way to get rid of Resistant Hides.

13. vitreo84

vitreo84 Goblin Champion

Clumsy last only 1 round usually and you can use a cone to turn around for that problem. and about wizard team i can tell you that you have about a 50% chance to meet a warrior team and about a 50% to meet a wizard team. so since againist warrior team is playable you can afford it. Or maybe you can discard it with leadership! :D or you can use inspirational think to draw the cone and discard the bad fireball.

and what about cone of cold? it can hit 3 + 5 + 7 + 9 + 11 + 13 square=48 square ... meaning that it can hit up to 48 creature for 48 damage in a single turn :) and if you use it more time in a turn you deal instant damage. instead with burning you have to wait for it.

ParodyKnaveBob and Potato Priest like this.
  14. vitreo84

vitreo84 Goblin Champion

Sundering strike to discard only armor? mah... i think that an assault of some perplexing ray to discard entire hand is much better! discard entire hand and solve problem from the root! :D

15. hello world

hello world Hydra

The trick is playing 1/1/1 to being able to remove everything tbh: Nova Axe is a bomb and with the new expansion you can get 6 Purging Strikes on a warrior, making it an highly tuned purging machine.
    The priest can then pick Sundering Strikes for armor from items like Ripping Mace and Blackhammer and the wizard can use multitarget attacks like Deadly Spark, Scatter Laser and Magma Spray to remove the blocks from a safe position.

As a bonus, Laser Thrust and Scatter Laser make getting Meltdown for terrain removal trivial, so you don't have to pick St. Ulrich Bones for the Cleansing Ray and can instead use more armor hate like Touch Of Death and Vampire Kiss.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  16. vitreo84

vitreo84 Goblin Champion

The best card to remove block on wizard is the punishing bolt!
    :D if opponent have many card in hand usually have many block so will block the bolt. If you are unlucky and the block fail he will take some damage... and of course he will take damage if he has no block. Instead card like dissolve armor if used to check for block often make the block fail so you only deal 1 damage. Of course is a bad idea using a bolt on a target with no card in hand since it will have no block and there is no reason to check for block :D
    And in a deck with no armor removal... there is a very good card! devastating blow!!! why removing armor if you can deal massive damage? any reliable mail will be useless! :D on an opponent full of reliable mail devastating blow can deal just 1 less damage than a sunder and with weaker armor or failed block damage is even more.
    It is really a devastating card!!! :D maybe only the werewolf armor can reduce damage a bit... but devastating is still devastating! :D sunder is much weaker in comparison! :D removing opponent armor you simply allow them to save the other card that they have in hand giving opponent a much simpler choiche! :)