When (or how) are quests unlocked?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Sir Knight, May 14, 2013.

1. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Note that I said "quests," not "adventures": I'm talking about the challenges where you replay old adventures with conditions like "all drawbacks."

Anyway, I've unlocked adventures up to level 10, and I have nine characters progressed to the point that nobody would get XP from low-level adventures anymore. I look at my map and I still don't see the little "medal" icons for quests.

Is there something I'm missing? The only thing tutorial-related that I haven't done is multiplayer. I accepted my free adventurers (grudgingly: I would rather have had the pizza so I could avoid unwanted adventurers clogging my roster) but I have not played any multiplayer matches. Don't tell me that multiplayer is the trigger for single-player quests.

What have other people experienced?

2. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

I was wondering what had happened to them. I think I have done all of the tutorial in order, including Multiplayer and still no quests.

3. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

As far as i know there should be a trigger for them but as i haven't unlocked them i can't tell for sure. Personally i would love to have them back from the start like they used to be.

4. Sir Knight

Egad, Wozarg hasn't unlocked them? This is bad. It's probably a bug.

5. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

I have adventures up to level 14 unlocked and I've played multiplayer as well. Quests are still missing.

6. Sir Knight

7. Drew Nelson

Drew Nelson Mushroom Warrior

I didn't get the quests unlocked until I beat all campaign missions. Then Melvin introduced me to quests and they opened up for all missions.

8. Sir Knight

All?

Huh. That's got to be a temporary measure. I mean, there's the entirety of the rest of the map for Blue Manchu to fill out in the future: if we'll have to wait (e.g.) 50 missions in order to get quests some day, that would be bad.

Also, I do protest: I want quests sooner than the end of beta! C'mon, those things give you more rare items and they get you to play lower levels again: they both improve your game AND encourage people to have fun.

Zoorland likes this.
  9. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

Hello all,

Just to confirm what has already been said. They are revealed when you complete the campaign, i.e. complete the "CardStock II Secret Preview" adventure. After that Melvin introduces you to them in a "you want to know what really hardcore Card Hunter players do?" kind of way. I don't think I really mind either way when they're unlocked.

The quests also don't give experience, just a guaranteed rare item. Is this the same as before? Because it would be nice to not have to play through an adventure with, say, a new party of elves to complete a quest then through the exact same adventure with the exact same party of elves to get them experience. Okay, that's an extreme case and I'm exaggerating but since I've already completed the campaign in order to unlock the quests is there any problem with levelling up new characters quickly?

Anyway, I hope that helps and I'm really enjoying trying them at the moment. They are a great way to add replayability to the campaign.

10. Lance

Lance Goblin Champion

I've unlocked every Adventure level 13 or less, and no Quests. I've been wondering about this myself, but didn't see anything in the forums. I just thought I missed something. But I agree if I have to unlock all of the Adventures, then I'll be sad.

11. Platouf

Platouf Mushroom Warrior

Hello,

I unlock the quest when I finish the card stock II preview, the last adventure in the story. I think that is good for replaying. The first time i was chain-losing the quest when trying to do "one health party quest" and lost tons and tons of gold for retrying this. Now, I know that I need better item and strategy for this quest.

Friendly,
    Platouf.

12. Sir Knight

Let's look here:
    So we're getting opposite opinions here. The thing is, though, that "leveling up new characters" takes exactly as long as you'd think: play an adventure, play the next, and so on. If for any reason you don't want to use your main party, well, tough: your main party is at 20 (or, in the future, a whopping 50), so that's how much leveling you'd have to do again AND THEN do the quests.

Oh, and the quests won't give you much worthwhile reward, since you have 20 levels (or 50) of decent items already.

Oh, except some players will have sold all their zero-talent gear when they got enough talents that it didn't matter any more (level 36).

Yeah, I know that the idea could be to "give you something to do once you've moved beyond the content," but it's not very practical: you shouldn't "move beyond" a single thing until level 36 or so. If, say, they unlocked adventures one at a time 15 levels below you, then that might almost be fine: it might balance "giving you a way to earn nice loot" with any hypothetical feeling of "I've moved beyond the content and will only go back if encouraged."

13. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

I'm not sure I understand the point you are trying to make, which makes me think that I didn't do a very good job of explaining why I would like quests to give XP. Here is my thought process:

"Oooh, I've finished the campaign and now BM have introduced these things called quests. That's really cool as now I have something more challenging to try for all the adventures I've already completed. Oh look, this one requires a party of only warriors/wizards/dwarves/elves/etc. I'll go and recruit some new party members since I won't be able to use the old ones. Oh, quests don't award XP. That's a shame as I now have to play through (a) the quest requiring only elves and (b) the regular adventure to earn XP to make sure my elves aren't still at level 2 when I reach a level 14 quest requiring only elves."

I should point out that I'd have no problems with the quests unlocking earlier (although if they did I might change my stance on whether they should award XP) and that I'm much less interested in the multiplayer aspect of the game than the single player campaign, thus I'm focused on doing quests for the sense of achievement rather than the shiny item that is at the end of it.

14. Sir Knight

Ah, as far as I can tell, we are talking about the same point. No problem there. Though personally I don't want quests to give XP: if they functioned as they USED to function, then, again, they'd be your go-to place to get high-rarity items during your playthrough of single-player.

But with that in mind, I might respond to your last paragraph: I'm not even talking about multiplayer. I want these quests for single-player, and (before this recent change) I'd always used them as such.

15. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

Now that you've made me think about it more I believe that both I understand what you mean (at least I hope I do!) and agree with you that quests should unlock sooner.

My gut reaction was that having easy access to Epic items at low levels might make adventures later on in the campaign too simple. However, on closer inspection I think there were some flaws in... well, my thinking. Mainly in using the word "easy". I may be finding some of the quests easy now but both a lot more experience of the game and a collection of items from finishing the campaign to help me out. If I'd tried the quests immediately after completing the adventure then I suspect I would have found them considerably more difficult.

This presents the player with a choice: do the quests when they are difficult and get an item that is probably very useful to your party or do the quests later after building up a stock of items. The quest will be easier but the chances of the new item being useful are diminished. As a player I think that would be a very nice choice to have!

And on the levelling issue - it became much less of a problem than I anticipated once I remembered your extremely helpful XP chart for adventures of a higher level than the character :)

16. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I'm still voting for the old system where you got the quest for each adventure as you unlocked it. This actually helped me progress as i could do one or two of the simpler ones with some work and get rares to help me get past the prison back when it was harder than a tungsten carbide.

skip_intro likes this.
  17. Devlin

Devlin Kobold

I'm not fussed when quests unlock, but completing them should award xp. Without XP from quests I have no desire to grind up a new party repeating the same old adventures. For me it removes any appeal of replayability.

18. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

Perhaps you should have posted your thoughts in one of the threads that are about XP for quests, such as this one, rather than bumping a 5 month old thread on a different topic. :rolleyes: