What Items Should I Aim For?

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Chumsie, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Chumsie

Chumsie Kobold

There appears to be quite the derth in regards to updated information for people, like yours truely, who are thinking about getting into PvP but have absolutely no idea what items are the "must haves" and what the current meta is. So I implore you; o' you who have been playing since the great long-long ago, please do pity me and fellow returning players/newcommers and share your secrets with us.

Although, if I have to be honest, I don't really care for Warriors and Priests myself and only really want hints for dual- and tri-wizard builds. But I'm certain that people with poorer taste than me would relish the opputunity to get some information as to what cards to hunt in Cardhunter's world of cardhunting.

EDIT: Come to think of it, this might not have been the right place to put this. Also, first post on these forums from yours truely. :p

2. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Welcome back! :) This looks like the right place for your post, and I hope you get some good replies. (I haven't played pvp in years, so won't pretend to know the meta, or even the map rotation.)
    In the meantime, you might spectate some games and/or seek guidance on MP chat. Good luck, and good hunting!

Christofff and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  3. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

I'm not one of the top players, so my advice is probably mediocre.

The curresnt map rotation is pretty wizard friendly. Big maps with little blocked terrain to hide behind.

I think having "Teleport self" is very good on a couple of the current maps. My favorite item with "Teleport self" is "Evasive Disruptor" since it also has "Boiling armor" a very good card, and "Laser Beacon" an OK card.

Since you're likely to be facing a lot of wizards on these maps, the cards "Smoke bomb" "Resistant Hide" and "Counterspell" might be good.

There is a new cards for warriors and priests called "Vengeance" that lets people move if they suffer enemy damage. If you are playing wizard it is a very hard card to face. The card "Telekinesis" is good against it since you can move the enemy without hurting him.

Good boots for wizards are "Hawkwind's Moccasins" "Cursed Gumshoes" and maybe "Boots of Safety".

Good arcane items are "Asmod's telekinetic chain" and "Rod of Palver Pree".

A good robe is "Robes of Lightness". It might not look so good, but keep in mind that traits allow you to draw a card. It is easy to underestimate how good traits are.

If you are playing dward wizards "Robe of the Geomancers" is useful to give your characters mobilty.

Good Dwarf Skills for wizards are "Lucky Thougness" and "Solid Rock" and maybe "Perfect Toughness".

A good human skill is "Advanced Flexibilty."

Wizard skills depeneds on what kind of tactic you are using. "Focused Pyromancy" is good if you're using burning cards. "Focused Electromancy" is good for electric attacks. If you are plaing Volcano wizards you might want to use something with Dimensional Traveler. If you are not using any of these tactics maybe go with "Novice teleportation".

Staffs:
    Fireball is a good card. It is on "Staff of the Fire God" which I like and "Searing Pain." which many people like.
    Ember Burst is a good card. It is on "Staff of Embers" and "Staff of a million embers"
    "True Silver" seems to be extremely good, I have not tried it.
    I've heard "Staff of Chask" is supposed to be good, I have not tried it.
    If you want to play a cold wizard, "Staff of winter" is pretty good. Maybe also "Sub-zero staff."
    Many people use "Deadly, Deadly staff"

Sir Veza likes this.
  4. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Sir Veza gives good advice. Others can give better advice than I, I expect, but I just thought I'd give you an unfortunate warning. It's a lot harder to build for a wizard than for a warrior. Priests can be hard to build for, but for different reasons. See, warriors, usually, run up and smash stuff, and they can use all manner of common-to-legendary items for a variety of stuff-smashing. Priests, well, they can be built in so many different ways, it can just be hard to balance what you're putting on a priest and why. Wizards, on the other hand, can often have pretty focused and varied goals to shoot for in building, but they're SO legendary-heavy, usually, that's why I say they're hard.

That said, some old stand-by items, just off the top of my head:

• Armorbane Pendant - common
    • Asmod's Telekinetic Chain - legendary
    • Ring of Appropriation - epic
    • Rod of Palver Pree - epic
    • Staff of Chask - epic
    • Heartripper - legendary
    • Runestone - common iirc
    • Blue Destruction - legendary
    • Deadly, Deadly Staff - legendary
    • Staff of a Million Embers - legendary
    • White Flame - legendary
    • Red Flame - legendary
    • Runestone (I think is the name .. Winds of War, Wall of Fire, Squeamish) - common iirc
    • Akon's Amulet - common iirc
    And some new neat things:
    • Dynamic Staff - common
    • Rust Creature Gland (Rust Creature's Gland?) - rare
    • Malevolent Robes - rare
    • Corrupted Feystaff - uncommon
    • Lucky Toughness - common - Dwarf Skill
    • Dainty Silversmith - uncommon - Elf Skill
    • Focused Silversmith - rare - Elf Skill
    • True Silver - legendary (although it should be cheaper .. bug in the formula .. bah)
    • Silverwood Staff of the Magus - epic iirc
    • Supercooled Laser - epic iirc
    • Instant Snowman - epic?
    Plenty of other good stuff, too, of course. Just more niche or insane -- like Tasty, Tasty Staff (legendary) or Staff of the Inferno (epic). $;^ b

Before I could post that above, Vlamona came along, mentioning some good boots. That's a good topic, and not necessarily as rarity-dependant, although Hawkwind's are great for a dwarf especially. (Little did I know when I first started, ha.) Depending whether you're looking for lots of movement, lots of armor, lots of traits, or even lots of heals, there are many good options here, yeah.
    • Some people will make up for a dwarf's slow movement by packing extra speed here, whereas others will accentuate the dwarf's staying power with more armor/Immovable.
    • Most people won't play an elf, but some of those who do will make up for the squishiness by packing strong armor (and/or Immovable) or healing, whereas others will bank on a speedy elf not getting hit in the first place and accentuate better movement options here. Also, if using traits on the racial, then making up for it with good moves on the boots might be wise.
    • Humans? Not boring by any means, but their middle-ground-ness gives their options plenty of wiggle room. Using the excellent Subtle Positioning skill? More moves on boots might be wise. Using Lasers, Unstable Bolts, etc.? Perhaps more armor here instead.
    As has been said elsewhere on this forum (re: Macizo's parties), one key to great building is to make sure your party does something very well, and that each character does a job well, too (whether all doing the same job or all doing rather different jobs).

Anyway, didn't plan to type anything more than "be warned, usually wizards are costly to build," thus I'll end here. $E^ J Fortunately, Castle Mitternacht did give some more (cheap) wizard options. (Unfortunately, about half its items include Boo! which got nerfed so hard after testing, that it's nigh unplayable outside some neat niche uses and/or one-off surprises -- meaning a lot of new decent-costing items never really seeing play, aww.) Hopefully someone better'll come along and guide ya. $:^ ]

And, welcome to the forum! heheheheh

Christofff and Sir Veza like this.
  5. Sir Kookus

Sir Kookus Mushroom Warrior

instant snowman might be good.

6. Chumsie

Chumsie Kobold

Seems like there are very strong arguments to be made in favor of maybe (just maybe!) either changing the rarities of certain Wizard items or creating more substitutes for the "must haves" with more reasonable rarities in the future. But that's an entirely different discussion for an entirely different thread.

I'll have a look for some of the recommended items, although my main goal remains a The Twins focused build; because I've always had a soft spot for Magic Missile, no matter the medium. While we are on the subject of "must have" items, what would you recommend for people with a thing for Warriors and Priests?

7. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

"Sundering Strike" is a very important card for armor removal for both warriors and priests (unless you have wizards on your team).

Shields: Parrying Buckler.
    Aegis of the Defender. Particularly good on a priest that are mostly to support rather than fight.

Warriors
    Weapons: Bejewled Short Sword; Final Sword, Snitrick's Last Stand, Sundersong, Blocking Mace, the Strongarm. Many people like Vibrant Pain.

Heavy Armor: Tom Ravager's Hide, Volkov's Impenetrable Hide. Maybe Spaceproof Carapace. Maybe Spiked Forcemail. Maybe Gauntlets of the Giant. Maybe Sturdy Armor.

Helmet: Maybe Bubble Helmet, Belowing Helm can be good in some builds, I like Necalli Cap not sure if others do, Solid Iron Helmet, Impeccability.

Martial Skill: Focused Lycanthropy, Howling Lycanthropy.

Human Skill: If you have a warrior on your team, Make Haste can be a good item for the other characters so they can use Delagate on the warrior.

Priests
    If you are playing a vampire priest (a priest that are using attacks that also heal the priest) good items are Hand of Melvelous, Flax's Thirsty Vial and Wuuna's Vampirc Shroud (these items have the same cards. It's weird.) Relic of the First Vampire, Maybe Kristoph's Scull, Glowing Hide Armor, Darkforce Nunchaco, maybe Vampire Knight's Embrace. You'll probably want a Divine Skill that uses Talented Healer.

Divine Weapon: Healing Hand Mace, Evensong, St. Olf's Fiery Pike, Dark Drewg's Mace.

Divine Item: Maybe Medical Kit, Maybe Ring of Majestic Healing, St. Ulrich's Bones, Tome of the Martyr, maybe Flawed Healing Ring.

Divine Armor: Stargod's Railment, Glowing Hide Armor is pretty good even if you're not playing a vampire priest.

Divine Skill: Altruism is usually a great card, though it depends on what other card your priest have. Use Advanced Piety, Novice Piety or maybe Focused Piety.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  8. hello world

hello world Hydra

Ok, skipping a bunch of good items here.
    ? means I'm not sure it is actually that good

Weapons:
    The strongarm
    Myrthril aegisblade?

Mad centaur spear?
    maquah of ancient blood

Rageblood dagger
    Troll's ire
    Lochaber axe?
    Eixocl's hammer?

Double-edged sword
    Howling pain
    Stolen torch
    Blocking mace
    Whirling flail?
    Slice and dice?
    White katana?

Nova axe
    Starkinfe
    snidrick last stand
    Bejeeveled shortsword
    Brutal flail?
    Powerpike?

Shield
    Quinn buckler
    Unreliable heirloom shield
    hexagon shield
    bullseye shield?
    Rook?

Parrying buckler
    Yvette's buckler?
    Throon's quick laser shield?

Aegis of the defender
    Hawlic's surging shield?

Armor:
    snarlcub hide
    spiked tlahuiztli
    perilious ringmail

cuirass of froth

Bronzebottom cuirass
    The softener

Helmet
    Crusty helm
    Chateau of the afflicted artist?
    galvanized zombie helm?

Tough leather cap
    Angry's jack helmet
    Commander cap
    bellowing helm?

Bubble helmet
    Impeccability?

Warrior skill
    Reckless lycantropy
    Novice impaler
    Delicate dervish?

Superb impaling
    Sawwy attacker
    Angry attacker?
    Focused dervish?

Twirling dervish?
    Blistering dervish?

Priest

Sacrifical axe
    Vampire mace
    Flail of fury
    True strike spear?
    Dark dweng's mace?

Purging mace
    Inquisitor morningstar

St. xarol mace
    St. olf's fiery pike
    Bynzer's black spear?

Vampire knight's embrace?
    Knife of st. blenko
    huetotl's firebrand
    axe of dark souls?

Eversong
    Glinting eye hammer?
    Monsterbane axe?
    Healing hand mace?
    Glowing laser baton?

divine armor:
    Ghoul rags?
    expulsive greaves?
    Dark chain shirt?

Sanctified shroud?
    cleansing shroud
    inspirational mail?

Stargod raiments
    Mail of the martyr?

divine item
    hand of melvelous
    Fingerbone of st. ob?
    Ravenna's incense?
    Greasy tome?

tome of the martyr
    st. bethan's charm?
    shielding token?
    incense of roiled air
    amulet of inspiration
    xlaka's sacred boundle

st. urlich bones
    vampiric console?
    medical kit?
    bleneth skull?

divine skill:
    novice piety
    untrained piety?

focused piety
    manifold healer
    Advanced piety

Focused healer

Staves

Trog melter?
    Red jon staff?
    Mullik blisterstaff?
    Staff of peril?

Staff of chask
    Corrupted feystaff
    overheated staff

Painful flashstaff?
    white flame?

illusion
    barnum staff
    staff of embers
    Feysentry staff?
    Subzero staff?
    Staff of winter?

Supercooled laser
    Deadly, deadly staff
    Heartripper
    perimeter staff
    Prankster feystaff
    Staff of millions embers?
    Pearwood staff?
    Electro-laser?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Christofff likes this.
  9. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Fwiw, Delegate is insanely powerful. Delegate wins games. Doesn't much matter on whom you use it; it's a "here, have a whole extra round" card.

Also, vampires (not talking about Vampiric Form) usually do best with Focused Healer, although Manifold Healer can do in a pinch. Likewise, supporting Holy priests usually use Novice Piety because Altrusim x2 + Minor Heal is worth it for tokenless -- but if you find yourself hoarding an extra minor for some reason, then upgrading that Minor Heal for another Altruism or for Greater Heal might be your goal.

Since Hello World put a question mark next to Impeccability, lemme just say all four Ready to Strike helmets are pretty great in the right builds. Aloyzo did a bang up job, crafting that new card, and itemizing it as such to where all its options are usable yet do not overshadow all other helmets. Beautiful.

Sir Veza likes this.
  10. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Getting sweet items for three wizards can also be hard to get.

So maybe consider how you want to spread your items amongts your party. Certain commons / uncommons which are easy to get can also take the place in the meantime of higher rarity items. There are also many wizards builds mentioned here on forums. But to be honest i think its better to go for discovering the best build for yourself, more fun, you get more familiar with the build as you craft and refine it, and it feels original.

Also keep in mind that rarer does not always mean better. Items like runestone, have been, and will be, excellent.

CT5, Sir Veza and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  11. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

You get The Twins the first time you beat Tomb of Savings.

Christofff likes this.