Water Physics?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BlackVoidDeath, Oct 28, 2015.

1. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

So about 10 minutes ago this happened:
    I have 2 water bottles on the left of my desk - they are both transparent and both have tap water (drinkable) inside. I drink from them one at a time then go refill. 10 mins ago I looked over to the left - one bottle was full but one I had already drank from - the one I had drank from already had 3 4 or 5 drops "flowing"? up the side of the bottle and into the opaque blue lid, I then rushed over the the bottle unscrewed the lid, and some water fell back down and mixed with the rest of the water.
    Any ideas what could have caused this? My guess is that there was a very strong vacuum inside? Of course, I cant think of how strong of a vacuum it had to have been to have made the water act in that way, and also why is it just a bit of water and not all of it?
    Side notes: there has not been any unusual weather in this area. This could have been happening before but I might have just not seen it.
    Anyone here good with science and gravity then please explain this.

2. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Just a pure guess, but condensation could do that. Heat rises, so perhaps the water, while getting warmer and slowly turning to steam, travels upwards?
    (Okay, I really have no idea, but I wanted to follow in case someone else knows)

3. BlackVoidDeath

You can click watch thread in the top right if you dont know what to write - and no I dont think it was condensation + heat because the water droplets were too big and there was no water just sticking to the sides (no condensed water).

4. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Woah, what?.....how'd I never know that was there?!

LeisureSuitLoli likes this.
  5. High humidity causes water to condense on the outside of a chilled container. With that being said, quit breaking the laws of physics BlackVoidDeath! ;)

BlackVoidDeath likes this.
  6. BlackVoidDeath

I meant the inside the bottle - but up the inside side.

7. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

This generally happens if the container was hot [say, due to being left empty in direct sun], and you poured cold water into it.

As the hot container cools from the inside, the air pressure in it changes, and this creates a point of difference in atmospheric pressure at the point where the inside and outside air meet [ie, at the cap].
    Add in that water has incredibly strong bonds to other water molecules, and low friction, and once it started rolling up, it'd have continued on quite easily.

That sound plausible, in this circumstance? :)

seth arue likes this.
  8. BlackVoidDeath

Hm... well I added water to it from the tap about 4 hours before that happened and it doesnt have any sunlight falling on it - though my computer gets quite hot so that could compensate - even opening both windows next to me doesnt cool my area down.
    I wish I had time to film it happening - it really looked like an alien craft was on my roof and it had changed gravity, I was just a bit shocked to see it happening and didnt react to it at all - until I opened the lid.

9. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

I dunno, then. Maybe you somehow boiled the water with your computer? :p

seth arue and BlackVoidDeath like this.
  10. BlackVoidDeath

Oh and if anyone was wondering about the bottle - I still have it here, though I dont think I will ever drink from it again.

11. Melancthon

Melancthon Ogre

Had you just screwed the lid back on? I know static electricity can effect flowing water.... Just a guess really.

12. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

13. BlackVoidDeath

What do you mean by "just"? Last time I had screwed the lid back on was about an hour before that. (maybe a bit less)
    It is a 500ml bottle. Also I think that I might have not exactly understood your link but like I said before, the water wasnt all moving up it was just a few (separate) drops, if I didnt understand you correctly then please explain because I think you might be on to something :confused:

14. Fry

Fry Ogre

If the pressure inside the bottle is greater than the pressure outside the bottle, if the bottle isn't 100% closed, the pressures will try to equalize. If some gas is below some liquid (because you had recently tilted the bottle to take a drink, covering the surfaces with liquid, for instance), it could conceivably push the liquid upward on its way out. This is essentially what is happening when a carbonated drink that has been shaken a lot "explodes". You mention that when you opened the lid, the droplets returned to downward travel, which could be because the inside and outside pressures suddenly equalized, removing the upward force on the droplets.

Why the inside and outside pressures might have been large enough to cause this may be tricky to explain with uncarbonated water. Possibly if the bottles had been heated, such as by sitting in direct sunlight? How "hard" is your tap water?

timeracers and Flaxative like this.
  15. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

How personal are we going to get here, now?...

DunDunDun likes this.
  16. BlackVoidDeath

Any water that may have covered the sides had already sank down - like I said
    -
    It didnt "travel" back down - it literally just fell, like if you turned the tap on a little bit and turned it back off. (not back down the side.
    -
    -
    What do you mean "hard"? Its drinking water... if you want more info please elaborate.
    -
    Why would it? The lid was closed.

17. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Unfiltered water is full of minerals (and sometimes chemicals). The hardness of water is determined by how high the mineral content is.

seth arue likes this.
  18. BlackVoidDeath

It is filtered water - I dont exactly know how well it is but my guess is that it is close to bottled water from shops.