Waiting times in multiplayer

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Hammyman, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Hammyman

Hammyman Kobold

Hello!
    I was wondering why waiting time becomes longer with each chest in multiplayer.
    I think getting 20 chests is really hard enough task...
    So why making it even harder by waiting times?

In my opinion there should be exactly the same waiting time for all chests.

What do you think about it ?

/Hammyman

Edit_1:
    I fully support that time counter goes bigger when you leave/concede match instantly or in first minutes of the game. This is for sure punishing "rank manipulation/dropping".
    I even think if player leaves in first 2?4? minutes of the game he should get timer around 10 minutes!

2. The Mask Makers

The Mask Makers Mushroom Warrior

Because that way you'll play Mom 19 out of 20 matches, seeing you are in the top 3 on the leaderboards.

3. I've been thinking about this same thing. How does the clock even work? Does the time increase when you fight AI, or does it always increase as you get closer to the purple chest? If it's the latter, then it doesn't really make sense to me. If it's the former, I guess it makes sense in a way, but it's also kind of punishing people with higher ratings who have a more difficult time finding human opponents.

4. Galdred

Galdred Mushroom Warrior

Anyway, the whole multiplayer reward system is the weakest part of the game : It makes it more worthwile to tank one's rating, and to fight AI (shorter time, and easier victories) in order to win chests (let alone the fact that it doesn't work well with the club membership, as 1st and last chests benefit much more from club membership than the ones between). This is my biggest problem with the game right now : if instead of focusing on #wins/day the reward applied to the total time spent playing multiplayer over the day (or the week or whatever), or was a function of the elo of the opponents defeated, then all the incentives to fight Garry or Mom and to tank ranking would be addressed.

5. Nim

Nim Mushroom Warrior

Yeah, the the fact that having a higher rating actually reduces the number of chests you receive is a pretty big black eye on the current MP system.

6. Hammyman

Hammyman Kobold

I don't even mind if they turned off AI at all in multiplayer, I'm not sure how it exactly works - I'm still being matched with even 1300s when im in 1700s (loosing around 30 rank if i loose).
    Most of my loses recently is to Mom; I guess I have lost like 90 rank during last 3 days couse of Mom while I have gained maybe 5 from her ( I most likely get +1)

Anyway you missed the point here.

@Scaried little girl
    It is actually increasing the closer you get to purple chest and I can't figure out why.

@Nim
    Exactly thats why I think tanking your rating down should be more punishable (For example like in my Edit_1 note)

7. Karstedt

Karstedt Goblin Champion

I made a crap deck cause I'm tired of waiting... When I plummet to a rank that I can get quick games at I will tweak it for fast games.

8. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

I asked around in the MP lobby and the explanation I got is that
    1) the wait timer increases by 10 seconds for each win (or maybe for each match played, win or lose)
    2) it's not the minimum time you have to wait, it's the maximum time you need to wait before getting an AI opponent, you can still get a game quicker if there's a player available.

Thus the maximum wait time at 19 wins is about 5 min (or could be much more if your win/loss ratio is bad and it's per match played and not per match won). Does this sound about right to those of you with MP experience?

It sounds like the devs are trying to increase the player's chances of getting a human opponent the more she plays. Some could view this as a reward, not as a hindrance :). Of course, if the player is just trying to farm the AI for wins this puts a damper on that, probably an intentional one at that.

I can well understand that if one is just eager to play, having to wait for increased periods between matches is plenty irritating. Whether about 5 min is too long is another question.

The above is not accounting for the effect the ranking increase resulting from 19 wins has. The higher the player rating, the harder it is to get opponents, this we already know from long experience. I don't know whether a win/loss ratio of 50/50 keeps your rating the same or slowly increases it? Anyway, these two things together affect the longer waits, not just the timer increase. To which degree, I don't know. Is the ranking thing maybe the dominant factor?

Scared Little Girl and Flaxative like this.
  9. Karstedt

Karstedt Goblin Champion

My timer usually gets past 4:30 by my 10th win, at which time I give up because I don't want to wait. I get that it's not the minimum wait, but it often runs most of the way.

10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I think the best solution to this problem would be to increase the active playerbase a few hundredfold. :)

11. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

And is it so that after it runs out you get an AI opponent?

12. Karstedt

Karstedt Goblin Champion

Of course... I was getting an AI about 1/5 games, but almost always waited over 3 minutes.

13. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Ok, thanks, Karstedt!

I ran a few MP games on the test server and there the wait time started at 10 seconds and increased by 20 seconds for each won match. In other words, every 3 wins adds a minute to the waiting time. At 19 wins it would be 390 seconds or 6 min 30 sec. Does this match people's experiences on the live server?

14. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Oh, and it's definitely +20 seconds per win, not per match. Losses do not increase the timer.

15. Karstedt

Karstedt Goblin Champion

That sounds about right, can't speak beyond 11 wins though, I am not up for the wait beyond that point, even if it tops at 5:00 minutes, I don't want to wait what would probably average over 200 seconds for each game.

I get that too short a timer would let people farm the AI too, so it's a balancing act, but my personal limit is stressed at 3 minutes, especially if that's the normal.

EDIT: I was just thinking, a timer 'penalty' after facing the AI could help reduce AI farming while maintain a lower timer. Similar to the penalty for resigning quickly, your next game after a win vs the AI could bump your max timer.

16. Sazanami

Sazanami Orc Soldier

It would make sense for players who's timer is about to run out to get priority on entering a new game. If that is the case, you'd have to wait longer the higher your counter starts at.

17. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Yesterday on the test server the MP timer started from 10 seconds for me. That was the first day ever I played on the test server so it was a new account to the game. Today the test server MP timer starts from 1 min 10 sec for the same account. I seem to recall this is also the starting timer value for the live server. Maybe the first time timer is shorter to allow the new player to get to the intro MP games with Gary quicker? I didn't wait for Gary to take me to the MP on the test server, I started playing MP already at level 2 or so.

If the live server MP timer starting value is 1 min 10 sec that puts the wait time at 19 wins at 7 min 30 sec.

18. Karstedt

Karstedt Goblin Champion

It starts at 1:10. I think you're right about the first time starting at :10 though for new players.

19. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

The minimum total maximum waiting time when the 20th match finally starts running is 1 h 26 min 40 sec. That means the total time you have been waiting if a) the timer runs until the end each time and b) you win every match. If you lose matches, there wil be more total waiting. If you get matches before the timer runs out, there is less total waiting.

20. Hammyman

Hammyman Kobold

I think the timer stops growing at around 5min 25 seconds, never seen it over 6 minutes and i have gotten to 19 wins few times.

Still I'm not really sure what is the point of timer growing so much, why can't it be always 2 minutes for example?