Video diary

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jon, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

If you didn't catch it elsewhere on social media, check out this week's diary in video format on youtube:

Let us know what you think!

Ystin and Magnificent Bastard like this.
  2. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Awesome video now gimme the beta so i can use all that nifty information!

3. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Why did the wizard start with 6 cards? What did we miss?!

4. Evolved

Evolved Mushroom Warrior

Great video! I hope that you keep these coming throughout development the beta and even release.

5. LightPhoenix

LightPhoenix Orc Soldier

It was probably scripted to be that way for the purpose of the presentation rather than an actual battle; note how the monsters conveniently group together and the GM passes every round after.

Legolas likes this.
  6. Legolas

Legolas Kobold

I am really excited to see what the AI is capable of in some real combat!

7. Jon

Yeah, don't read too much into the hands or cards played in that battle. I was just trying to demo the way those cards work, not the actual battle.

8. Magnificent Bastard

Magnificent Bastard Mushroom Warrior

Thanks for the video. You asked for feedback so here goes:

1) Great video. You showed off several important features in a very short amount of time. Kudos for that.

2) I don't know about everyone else but I love it when developers are as transparent as possible. Seeing videos like this reassures me as a future player/customer of a game. Even if the news given isn't completely positive ("We missed our deadline due to ____ so we're pushing ___ back to ____." etc) any news is good news so long as it is honest and to the point.

3) Jon, you've been pretty active on the forum and that's great but I'd love to see more "official" stuff like this and the dev blog. I check the forum here fairly regularly but I know some people who completely ignore the forum and only get their Card Hunter info through the blog and youtube.

4) The game looks great. I can't say that enough.

9. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

I dig the little chorus of "oh!" "ow!" on those AoE spells.

Ystin likes this.
  10. Shadowbrand

Shadowbrand Kobold

Is there a way to speed up the debuff (burn / stun) placement?
    like... showing the card then place it on all affected characters at once.

Btw, the game is looking good!!:D

11. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Ditto the request, maybe as a gameplay option ?

12. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

Got first comment on your video. I feel special. Now my 15mins of fame is over and im sad.

Also the way you guys setup LOS and AOE attacks although standard, is a solid choice. I'm glad you guys have good variety for the spells and abilities.

13. Dugrim

Dugrim Orc Soldier

Good video, and good explanation!
    The only thing I see that could be a problem is that the "Yellow" used for the AoE is too much similar to the yellow of the map (I think there are Gold tiles right?).
    Only a minor issue: maybe light up the target/targets of the spell/effect... Could be useful?

14. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

First, thank you very much for posting this. The "catching people around a corner with a straight-line attack" deal looked like fun. Makes it a little harder to use cover effectively, though. But, of course, one already knows that cover won't help you against a burst effect from the right direction either.

I also noticed some ambient gloomy sounds. Very nice! But for the violence, could you turn down the computer volume or turn up the mic in future videos? The violence was much louder than your voice, which can be a problem.

I suspect that there will be a need for many gameplay toggles. We have this thread asking about animation speed, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a plethora of other requests we've made before. Probably some good ideas in there.

15. Jon

Now that we've got the video diary format figured, we'll try to do a bunch more regularly. That said, I'm away for the next two weeks so there might be a short gap. Maybe Farbs or Ben will do one instead (hint, hint)?

Magnificent Bastard likes this.
  16. Jon

Yeah, I noticed that after making the video. Probably could use some tweaking.

17. Jon

We could do that. But, in practice, it doesn't happen that often.

18. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

I just wish we could actually see the spells and not just little icon effects </3

Ystin likes this.
  19. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Just one thing i noticed the thunder blast can be cast in 4 different directions but it only shows you the area it hits in front of you any way to see how it would hit in the other directions? Sure you could see the shape and sit and count for the other sides but in that case so could you with every square aoe so i figure its something you either missed or are working on.

20. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

One thing I noticed was that Jon didn't move his mouse cursor during that sequence, while he moved it to demonstrate both the straight-line and burst effects before. I was expecting that, were he to mouse over the other cardinal directions, the cone would move to show you what would be hit. Given that this information is pretty darn important, I'd hope that it is already programmed in and he happened not to show us.