Unlocking Campaign modules

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Kalin, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Whenever you finish a campaign module, you should unlock something new, right? I just beat Throne of Strench and got nothing. Everything on the map is complete except Compass of Xorr (unlocked by White Star, I believe) and three treasure hunts (not bought). I thought previously I always had a choice of the next hardest dungeon or one the level above that.

2. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Not true, adventures are unlocked when your active party levels up as well.

3. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Well, Strench caused my party to level up also (now level 8), so that's two reasons something new should have unlocked.

4. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Which means you need lvl 9 to unlock more adventures. And looking thru the data, yeah...there's a gap. Prolly, intended for a new adventure or an honest oversight.

5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Nope, beating Compass (with chars that are still level 8) unlocked Stafford's Treasure and Melvelous, both level 8 modules. This is the first time since level 1 that I've had more than two modules at the same level. And still no level 9 modules.

6. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Melvelous is a major story gate (Gary/Melvin stuff) that got added in during beta - so this is likely the reason for your issue, having to beat that module before the game opens up again.

7. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Aye or as a deliberate test, try leveling party to 9 w/o beating Melvelous and see if it unlocks others. More concerned if players fail to beat melvelous/stafford's and get frustrated by the lack of adv options.

8. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

If you play each module once, in the order they appear, you will hit level 9 after Stafford's Treasure, without doing Melvelous. I'll see for myself later today when I have time for a full module.

9. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

As that's a main story adventure, I'm pretty sure that levelling up won't have any effects. Being able to bypass that adventure would risk f'n up the storyline I believe, and thus it locks progress.

10. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Right, killing Stafford and reaching level 9 didn't unlock anything. And so my only choice for something new is a single level 8 module. Again.

Right now I have a party that has never repeated a module, never done a treasure hunt, and every single thing on the map is lower level then them.

11. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Well great: the module should be easier for you. Wipe 'em off the field!

But in general, I think you missed the criteria for unlocking. Phaselock is leading you astray.

Sometimes the game looks to the highest adventure you completed and gives you a spread of adventures above it. Say, you beat Highway Robbery or Rescue from Shieldhaven Prison and see the map spread open. But some adventures are connected to each other: Diamonds of the Kobolds and The White Star are both level 6, but it doesn't matter if you beat every single thing from level 1 to 5; the only way to unlock The White Star is to beat Diamonds of the Kobolds. As you play sequences (like the Lizardman one or the two Troglodyte ones), this sort of logic becomes clear.

Then, as you see, there is a great disturbance in the game. Two adventures per level is literally all you ever need: so what has Melvin done? What is this new module? You don't know . . . but apparently this game has "sequences," and Melvin is introducing something weird without allowing you to play anything else. Looks like you have to play it now!

12. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Yeah, I tend to do that....which is why I seem to have to test and retest and retest every single thing to death. And when someone asks, I'm like...oh no, was it this or that now ? In any case, now I know that 'finishing a campaign module doesn't mean you should unlock something new' ! yay for enlightment ! :D

13. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

It's interesting: I got so used to thinking in terms of storylines and such that I . . . never noticed which ones DON'T unlock something new. There obviously are some, but it was only when this thread popped up that I had to go scrounging for patterns! That says something about how different people divine the rules of a system.

14. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I finally beat Melvelous (took 48 hours, but now all my elves are level 8 without them having to fight trogs), and suddenly everything unlocks. And by "everything" I mean 3 dungeons, 2 treasure hunts, and a chest shop.