Tutorial or Prompt Bugs

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Crux, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Crux

Crux Kobold

I find Gary's constant reminders about rules to be slightly annoying. So I went looking for an option to disable them.

I clicked on "Skip Tutorial", thinking that might get rid of them. (Yeah, it doesn't make much sense in retrospect.) It immediately forfeited the battle I was in. Fortunately, I have 2 Replays, so I didn't lose much.

2. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Which reminders are you talking about?

3. Crux

Crux Kobold

I was talking about reminders like "If you have more than 2 cards at end of turn, you must discard one."
    I saw one or two others, but I can't recall what they were off the top of my head. I thought maybe some tutorial flag had gotten reset in one of the patches, but it kept happening.

The discard one doesn't show up every time. It only happens the first time I discard in a battle.

If it's intentional, is it because there are rules where it's not always clear what the computer is waiting on?

I can understand why there's a need for something like that. It's not always clear what the computer is waiting on when you need to discard cards.
    But that text just feels like Gary got stuck in tutorial mode.

I seem to recall there is already something highlighting which character you need to discard from. Maybe you could just make that highlighting more obvious?

4. Jon

OK, that should only be shown once. Let me know if you see any others that repeat too often.

5. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Personally, I find that Gary keeps encouraging me to recruit a Priest every time I log in and go to the campaign. He's done this ever since I beat White Skull Canyon. Of course, this is my fault for having already beaten all this stuff before the patch went up, as Gary can't know that I hired that Priest weeks ago.

Also, he keeps talking about how awesome the "shaman's" loot is every time I get anything higher than common, regardless of the fact that I'm not playing White Skull Canyon at this point.

6. Jon

OK, your tutorial is stuck at that point. Try recruiting a priest and see if it moves on.

7. Sir Knight

Totally cleared up the issue. It even let me see some of Gary's subsequent tutorial text (about playing non-tutorial modules) without other funny glitches. Exiting and logging in again does not cause problems to reappear.

8. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

Gary also occasionally brings up the tutorial prompt on Armor when my armor activates. It's not every time, but I'm beginning to question if poor Gary has trouble with short-term memory.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  9. Sir Knight

He hasn't been the same since that d6 upside the head. He was seeing them as d12's for a week.

10. Jon

This thread is so useful that I renamed and sticky-ed it.

11. Sir Knight

Then while we're here, let me note:

If you run White Skull Canyon again then Gary will do all the tutorial text in the module again, AND demand you recruit a Priest again. It lingers between logins, too. Hitting "Skip Tutorial" does resolve it.

12. Jon

Noted!

13. Jon

You mean this one?

"Armor cards are like Blocks but, when they succeed, they reduce damage."

14. Jon

Can you clarify this? Do you mean if you replay before you recruit a priest or after?

15. Sir Knight

The first time I faced the "Gary hassling me to recruit a Priest" deal (him telling me about Priests as soon as I go to the map after logging in), I did as you advised and recruited a Priest. Logged out, logged in, Gary was no longer hassling me.

Then I waited until adventures refreshed. Then I played White Skull Canyon a second time. Gary resumed hassling me. Logged out, logged in, he was still hassling me.

Hit "Skip Tutorial" and he went away.

16. Whiteowl

Whiteowl Kobold

in the shieldhaven campaign gary is constantly yelling about the pizza warden letting loose the dogs of war after every turn

*edit* seems he repeats himself through the whole adventure after every turn

17. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

Yes. That one.

18. Jon

I think Joe has already fixed this (in the next build).

19. irongamer

irongamer Orc Soldier

I believe this is known or been reported else where but tossing it in here.

Most adventures beyond level 2 which have a prompt, by Gary or other characters, at the start of the adventure do not have a continue/close button. If you move the equipment screen the prompt covers a number of the inventory sorting options.

gary_talks_over_interface.png

20. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

"Hey do you have any notes? Carrying $30 of quarters and dimes around is going to be kind of a pain."
    I don't casually speak any kind of English so i could be completely wrong but shouldn't it be Bills instead of notes? Maybe it depends heavily of its American, Australian or British money and that's why I'm confused?

Also the level 3 trogg adventure talks about ordering the pizza and in the level 2 wizard tower adventure you get it delivered it makes little sense if you play them in the logical level order.