[Triple Duel] Dwarf Smash!

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by rinco69, Aug 21, 2016.

1. rinco69

rinco69 Thaumaturge

With Triple Duel, every man and his dog is running Dwarf warriors with Riptide, Blocking Mace/Warrior's Mace and a set of teleport boots. How can you improve on an already winning formula? Well some more Unnerving Strike and Crusher would be nice. If crushing, why not some Mimetic Armor? Throw in some Scamper, Team! for good luck. I present to you my legend heavy triple duel build...

Skratdurak
    Level 1 Dwarf Warrior

Skratvarn
    Level 1 Dwarf Warrior

Ganddreng
    Level 1 Dwarf Priest

Maniafig and Pawndawan like this.
  2. Aerendhil

Aerendhil Ogre

the priest should carry some more Mass Frenzy, that's the point of bringing one instead of a 3rd warrior.
    also, I like spells that do not target (Help Weak or Team Heal)

3. rinco69

rinco69 Thaumaturge

MF is great and the build even has 1. But it has limited value with the overall strategy. On 3D you want to either be camping or ganging up. This priest helps in both ways:
    • Cantrip vamp attacks will let your warrior attack from behind. Unnerving strike from the rear always beat parry.

• The enemy could be an armor camper. The ultimate armor campers are packing the cushion + reliable combo. In that case sundering strike is your friend.

wereviper likes this.
  4. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I've never played Triple Duel before, and I'm a little afraid of missing out on this figure. Is this a good build for people who are terrible at PvP? And I don't have Gauixl... is Ripping Mace a good enough replacement? If I use Ripping, then I can upgrade shield and armor to Aegis and Stargod.

5. rinco69

rinco69 Thaumaturge

Since TK has been nerf'd the only viable strategy is melee. Expect lots of parry. Because of that, expect lots of anti-parry. Many use War Cry. I like to roll the dice with Unnerving Strike. In any case, pack enough damage and you have a good chance of winning.

6. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

If BM was able to bring Kalin to MP, they must be doing, doing something right :)

7. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Okay, I tried @rinco69's dwarves in a casual game and lost. I only drew one teleport and that char was killed before my turn started. So I made a human version for Leadership, then decided to toss in some All Out Attacks to go with it, and I won a casual game with that (different opponent).

The true test happens in a couple hours... I'll start with the humans and if they fail I'll try the dwarves and if that doesn't work either I'll panic and play really badly for the rest of that league.

8. Melancthon

Melancthon Ogre

An important thing to remember is that in casual games you are going up against prepared people with specialized teams that know what they are doing. In the actual league you are bound to come up against at least one or two lower-elo players who are using their normal MP party. You got this!

9. Lord Feleran

I wouldn't say you're bound to. Definitely not.

10. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Sign me up for these unpreprared opponents, please.

I got all these legendaries and managed to go 1 - 3 during the first BD Triple Duel.... and I thought CH was meant to be pay-to-win. I demand a refund! :p

Sir Veza and Melancthon like this.
  11. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Things are looking hopeful so far...

In fact, for a moment it looked like I was going to get the figure on my first try. First three opponents were decisive victories, putting me one win and one tiebreaker behind first place.
    league1.png

I just needed a 1 star victory to tie for first, so any mediocre opponent would do...

Unfortunately, @Fry_The_Guy is not mediocre.

Here's the build I used:
    Cassandra Kresnov
    Level 24 Human Warrior

Boulder Shoulders
    Level 11 Human Warrior

Team Mascot
    Level 21 Human Priest

I'm making some tweaks now and will play a few more league games to test.

12. hwango

hwango Hydra

I don't know which of those three decisive victories was our match, but I can agree that you annihilated me.

It was my first match for the league, and I was dismayed to face you as my opponent, having seen you in this thread...I knew you were serious about trying to get the figure, and there was no chance you were just playing casually. It was a discouraging loss, but I had some miserable draws, so I decided not to make any sweeping changes to my build without giving it at least a second try. I managed to win my other three matches, which was good enough in my pod to win the figure, so I'm pleased to say that I now have a fully operational party of cat people. Barges and Pressing Bashes worked out well for me. Disorienting Block also snagged me a couple of victory spaces, or let me keep one and send my attacker wandering out of range to attack me again.

I had been planning to run three human warriors, but after seeing this thread reconsidered for dwarves. All three humans were to run Inspired Command, but in the end I decided that it perhaps wasn't worth giving up 4 hp per character just so someone might draw Inspirational Thinking. On another map where Run instead of Walk would matter I would have stayed human, but here it just felt like a waste.

13. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I know you said you were making some tweaks... but here are a couple of thoughts of mine:

Since you're going Human, I like Boots Of Safety. You lose the Mimetic Armor, but Teleport Self is great with Run on this map. In a single move you can go from any VP to flanking/double teaming an opponent on an adjacent VP. If you draw Teleport Self, it's well worth trying to just hold it rather than using it. With it in hand you become the most mobile character in play (and we all know in CH mobility = advantage).

Also I think I'd change Novice Crushing for Novice Bruising. I know Crusher meshes with more cards in your deck, but if it's a question of adding 2 damage to a few more of my attacks, or drawing one of my better cards instead of drawing Simple Strike, personally I'd choose the latter. (This becomes even a stronger argument if you go with my first suggestion and give up the Mimetic Armor.)

Good luck!

Melancthon likes this.
  14. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

One of my opponents yesterday drew Teleport Self on two chars in the first round. And that was pretty scary, even on dwarves, though he discarded/used them after a while.

I may go back to dwarves now that I understand the league better. I wanted Leadership to get me my teleports, but more often I found myself discarding Leadership because I didn't want to give up my attacks (and synergy with Mimetic Armor was too hard to time right).

15. Lord Feleran

Today there was definitely more unprepared opponents in Triple Duel than usual.
    cat.png

Melancthon and wereviper like this.
  16. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

That's because all the experienced players were being matched against me.

17. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

So yesterday was disappointing, I lost all 5 games in my league. :( At one point I had a char with 3x Unnerving Strike and a fourth attack and they were all stopped by Parry, so now my warriors use Bellowing Helms. In the evening I had a long talk and some practice matches with @BlackVoidDeath who convinced me to replace my priest with a third warrior and my teleports with Violent Spin. Which makes me sad because Telepod Jaunt is my favorite card for PvP, but VS wins games. I also have a new secret weapon that I won't reveal until after I'm done.

18. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

If you want a higher chance of getting the figure, join the league after 30-60 minutes.
    Then there is a higher chance of getting into a pod with lower tier players.
    Same goes for matches - wait a while for all the high level players to do their games.
    (No I dont do this)

timeracers likes this.
  19. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I do try that, though I still often end up in a pod with people I remember from beta.

PS. why can't I be put in pods like this for leagues I want to win?
    league.png

EDIT: Final Post!

Well, the good news is that this build gave me 3 victories:
    Smash
    Level 24 Dwarf Warrior

Crash
    Level 22 Dwarf Warrior

Grump
    Level 1 Dwarf Warrior

The bad news is that put me in third place. :(:(:(

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  20. rinco69

rinco69 Thaumaturge

BVD speaks the truth. I only went up against a couple of veterans over a dozen games. The only game I recall losing was against another dwarf smash team that a) went first, b) had an absurd amount of parry and c) teleport self on 2 warriors by round 3.