The Naturalist

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Killer74, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Killer74

Killer74 Hydra

This will be a series of scenarios based upon the musings on Brother Arun as he goes out and discovers the weird and wonderful creatures that exist in the world of Cardhuntria. Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

A Rustic Ramble

Intro:
    Extract from the diary of Brother Arun

Janizza 2nd, Willingham Forest.

Today I went forth into Willingham Forest, a veritable trek through tangled undergrowth. Fortune favoured me; I saw a Rust Creature before noon. These shy and magnificent creatures are vilified as Troll pets and destroyers of armour and weaponry. They survive by dissolving metal over a period of hours and then ingesting the remains. The only other thing they have been witnessed eating is mushrooms and other similar fungi, which they consume in a similar manner (only the process is much quicker). After watching it for a number of hours I heard the fluttering of many wings.

A scourge of storges! These beautiful pteropine creatures fly about in packs, gorging themselves on whatever animals they may see, sucking up blood through their long and pointed proboscides. They roost in caves, often alongside trolls (whose hides are too tough for them). Unfortunately, their sights were on me. My only hope was that the ones hunting me would be distracted by a kill...

Screenshot:
    Naturalist1.jpg

Epilogue:
    After evading many swipes and stabs, I heard a great death rattle. The remaining storges flew away towards the carcass of the Rust Creature. My escape had come at a cost.

As I crept away I heard many agonized cries from the storges. Going back to investigate, I saw a horrible sight of disfigured storges. The acid from the Rust Creature must have burnt away at their insides. I headed homeward, my heart heavy at the macabre jests of nature.

Tags:
    noMinionKillPoints

Edits: Added Lower Doodads to the sides (haven't added to screenshot).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  2. Killer74

Killer74 Hydra

Swineherd

Intro:

Celestiarch 12th, Summerhall Woods

After dealings with the pompous Lord Stafford (procuring food for my fellow brothers), on the way back to the Core I espied a drift of armoured pigs, across an impassable pond. Some erroneously believe that these animals are suited up in metal armour by their masters. In fact, these amazing suilline creatures produce their own defensive shells, which gradually improve as they age. Initially when they are born they only have plating around their head, but as they grow older their carapace extends down their bodies. Despite how metallic they look, they are in fact made of bone, and are a prized commodity for use in armour-making. These intelligent creatures are very wary, and make excellent guards.

After watching them in silence for a few hours, I heard a great shout. Trackers had caught sight of their porcine quarry, and began their chase. It was up to me to help the pigs escape.

Screenshot:
    Naturalist2.jpg

Epilogue:
    The armoured pigs made their escape with my assistance. The hunters made their exit with many a hot foot. A glorious and triumphant day. I returned home with my supplies and a tranquil mood.

Tags:
    None

Attached Files:

3. Killer74

Killer74 Hydra

Radical Eradicator

Intro:

Modune 9th, Citadel Copse

The creatures in around the sky citadel area have been acting strangely lately. Generally I keep well away from this area, but recently, while studying a family of wyverns, I spotted a strange flying insect. Following it, I came to this frightening place, a small building, which I determined to be a spider den from the myriad silken strands surrounding it. Creeping closer, I saw a cluster of odd green spiders unlike any I have ever seen. They were attacking other spiders. After they bit into a forest spider, it writhed and wriggled, and mutated into one of them. Suddenly a camouflaged spider appeared in front of me and bit. I determined to rid the place of these unnatural arachnids.

Screenshot:
    Naturalist3.jpg

Epilogue:
    The last of the bizarre spiders collapsed. Taking a closer look at the remains of the almost invisible spiders, I saw that they were wrapped in silk. The threads were covered in a light film of water, reflecting the nearby surroundings, making them incredibly difficult to spot. Remarkable! Perhaps I was hasty in my judgement of them.

Tags:
    noMinionKillPoints, respawnFilterPlayer1, respawnPeriodOne

Attached Files:

Gingrich Yurr likes this.
  4. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Scenario 3 is too hard, not only do they get more characters then you and better spiders, they also have a lower star goal. Though the AI is stupid so I could win that scenario but having the enemy respawn every turn really pushes it over, its impossible without rad luck.

Killer74 likes this.
  5. Killer74

Killer74 Hydra

I tried the spider one some more times, I won slightly more than half them.
    Minor hints ahead.
    Admittedly, winning relies on getting two movements in the first round for either of the protagonist's spider groups so as to occupy vp squares, but this occurs reasonably often. Probabilty in next spoiler. Then it's just a matter of staying on the vps for five turns, with jumps backs to avoid attacks. Once an enemy spider gets on it is pretty much a guaranteed loss. There isn't too much point in actually killing the spiders. I could move the further back forest spider closer to pretty much guarantee getting on vps first turn, and reduce the stars needed by one, but I think it's reasonable as is.
    First move...
    Spiders: Deck size = 16 (excluding trait). Draws three cards. 6 move cards in deck. Probability of drawing no extra move card = (10/16) * (9/15) * (8/14) ~= 0.214. => Probabilty of spiders drawing extra move card ~= 0.786.
    Forest Spiders: Going to ignore that lunging bites as the antagonists' spiders could hop in in front (though unlikely given silliness of AI).
    Deck size = 13 (excluding trait). 1 move card. Probably of drawing no extra move card = (12/13) * (11/12) * (10/11) = 10/13 ~= 0.769. Probability of drawing no extra movement card ~= 0.231.
    Probabilty no extra moves card total ~= 0.769 * 0.214 ~= 0.165.
    Probability of extra move card ~= 0.835.
    It is a bit higher than this with Arun's teleports and the chance of multiple lunging strikes, and AI being silly, but not much.

6. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

Played a rustic ramble. Won on the second attempt. For some reason I don't know, the 3 enemy storges on the left did not fly towards me to attack, which is probably why I won.

7. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

Played swineherd 5 times without winning. Seems to require lots of luck.

Killer74 likes this.
  8. Killer74

Killer74 Hydra

I'll play around with Swineherd to make it a bit easier.

9. Killer74

Killer74 Hydra

Front Runner

Intro:

Citajul 24th, Shieldhaven Race Track

Today we went to the races (I at the requests of my brothers). Rarely do we have anything to do with the common rabble, but we needed to hire some more workers. I would have refused only they explained that the barbaric practise of using a Psi Cat as a lure had stopped. When we arrived, the crowd were chanting doggerel verse, calling bets and cheering. The hounds were released from their cages, and were off like a shot. Despite myself, I was enjoying the camaderie and rowdy nature. All the dogs were managing to keep abreast of each other.

As they entered the final lap, boulders were released. The slowest dog would be crushed! This could not stand. I leapt down from the stands, determined to see them all through, aware that if I were too slow guards would kill me.

Screenshot:
    Naturalist4.jpg

Epilogue:

Victory! All safe, though panting heavily, myself included. My brothers, however, were not best pleased, and laid upon me the most unenviable task of teaching the apprentices for a month. Still, they managed to recruit some trogs to clear out the mines, though the trogs negotiated a good deal, as always.

Tags:
    None

Attached Files: