The best adventure

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by Card Hunter Joe, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Card Hunter Joe

Card Hunter Joe Blue Manchu

Hey,

What is your favorite adventure and why?

2. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

The arena adventures at around level 9 i simply love arena fights in role playing games for some reason. Also the whole gladitorial feeling is always neat as far as I'm concerned. Sorry for not having a more tangible reason for why i like them.

Both the chess adventures are awesome as well because its so simple to grasp them if you have ever played chess. I hope to see further expansion on them with other pieces further down the level line.

3. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

I think my favorite would be "Against the Cockroaches".

I like adventures that end with a unique "named" enemy, and this is one of them that does that well. The unique art style and story is both entertaining and humorous, which helps to separate the adventure in terms of tone.

On a tactical note, it introduces some interesting challenges. Plus there's a door you need to break down, and I like the concept of interacting with the environment, it's something I'd like to see more of.

Zoorland likes this.
  4. Angry Penguin

Angry Penguin Mushroom Warrior

I like the cockroach quest a lot myself. I didn't break down the door though. I mazed it on the first turn before it could use immovable. Heh ;)

5. Card Hunter Joe

Card Hunter Joe Blue Manchu

Hmmm I wonder why that is, Wozarg:

"Alexander, Barry, Tracey and Tobbe and all those other CardStock contestants . . .
    Who are these mortals who dare challenge me with their primitive skills?"

6. Trollman

Trollman Kobold

I really like the Slub Gut line. It's split down the middle, so you don't have to start over from the beginning if you crap out on the 3rd or 4th scenario. And Lizardfolk just seem like a much fairer and more interesting version of Troglodytes. The nets and spear fighting technique is reasonable, effective, and makes "in world sense". Heck, I would like my own warrior to be able to get nets to go with her spear.

The narrative of kicking in Slub Gut's festival hall and inner sanctum is also very well realized.

But I think the bottom line is that I prefer adventures that are two parts that are 2 scenarios long than adventures that are one part that is 4 scenarios long. 4 scenario adventures can be very frustrating at times.

-Frank

7. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

I love High Mountain Pass... Yh, I'm a sucker for puzzles, the harder the better.

Had a 17 game losing streak on HMP on my 1st try back in Jan/Feb with elves. Stupidly ridiculous funny adventure ! :D

Oh, I also love those super long advs...3 tries and 6 super tough boards to go through... Great for endgame lvl 50 kinda challenge ! In fact, I would rather not have the number of battles on the module cover ! :D

8. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

I really liked the Astral Shrine ones - as they felt really different, and very thematic. Not sure they're my absolute favourite - but they're up there in terms of cool monster design and tactical thinking.

9. Swiffle

Swiffle Mushroom Warrior

The one with Melvelous is sticking out to me right now. Just thought it was pretty awesome how Melvin takes over, makes his own character, writes his own module, with his scribbles and drawings visible over an official module. Complete with the hand drawn levels, and the egomaniac looking Melvelous figure

Neofalcon and Zoorland like this.
  10. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Well what can i say it doesn't hurt. But in all honesty it was my favorite adventure from the moment i played it.

11. Isotope-X

Isotope-X Mushroom Warrior

Yeah, I liked this one a lot too (along with the similar Cockroaches adventure). It had a really nice DIY feel and established Melvin's character more fully. I thought it was a nice touch also that Melvelous himself is really a pushover, he's only dangerous because of his minions.

12. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I've mentioned before how much I enjoy the different types of playstyle involved in the adventures. So first there are tutorial missions where you learn basic concepts like Blocks and Armor; okay, those are fine.

Then you have the Clumsy Golems in The Wizard's Workshop. Suddenly you're playing those boss battles from other videogames where you need to get behind the big monster. You have . . . a purpose. Something to learn. Something to do. Your every move has meaning beyond just "ugh, I move next to enemy, I hit enemy, I win, ugh."

These things keep happening. Like all the way out at Riddle of the Gnome Lords or High Mountain Pass, where now you're doing those "trick the enemy into killing its own friends" battles.

So I like all of those adventures: ones where things change and you enjoy something new. The same logic applies to adventures with rare monster types (this game needs more War Pigs), as they always feel so different. All the unique four-square boss monsters count, too.

And with that in mind, I guess I should mention Black Oaken Heart (in case no one else does). For one thing, it has the sudden shift in strategy in the middle we were advised we'd have to handle in this game (which is fun). But further, it has one engaging quality that the rest of the game doesn't: history. Other people have mentioned that connected adventures are great, and part of that is because of the story involved, where you're playing the next adventure in sequence to push toward a known goal. Black Oaken Heart was a known concept from early in the game development. Then getting to battle King Oakenshade took some EFFORT. Just seeing his face felt amazing.

I can only imagine that the return to fight Greenfang at the appropriate level will feel as good.

13. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I don't have a single favorite adventure. Some notable ones:

Against the Cockroaches gave me more trouble than any other module (except Garnet Demon Portal), but I still loved how it did new things with the victory point system; it wasn't just "kill everything" or "stand here for X rounds".

Goblins in the Woods made me really happy when I played it, because it was so easy compared to the last two. I came back to it a couple times to level up my other parties.

The two Astral Shrine levels also added interesting new strategies.

And finally, Lord Batford's Manor was huge (six battles! three named bosses!) without being tedious. I can't wait until players can get some of these projectile attacks.

14. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

I love Gary and Melvin's hand-drawn modules for the art style and the Astral Shrine adventures for their inventiveness, but...

I'd probably place the Order of the Core as my favourite adventure, in fact it's the only premium adventure that I've played! Why is it my favourite? Because it forced me to completely rethink my setup and strategy. I had what was, in my opinion, a fairly good general party but in Order of the Core they got utterly annihilated on the first map. Once I'd had a good long look through my items and re-equipped my characters I completed it within the 3 attempts allowed. It felt like I'd been rewarded for carefully choosing what cards I brought to the fight more than any other adventure I've played.

Ben_Lee likes this.
  15. Isotope-X

Isotope-X Mushroom Warrior

Yes. YES! I want bows. Pinning shots and fire arrows and "Darken the Sky" and all that. Or javelins. Or shuriken. Basically, I guess I love throwing and shooting things in game, probably as a result of being a damned coward.

16. renders

renders Kobold

creativity wise against the cockroaches
    personal fave the gladiator arena
    i also like malvelous the magnificent,i hope we get more like thay in the future