The Animation Thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LeisureSuitLoli, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Here we discuss, debate, and share opinions, art, and links to our favorite kinds of animation. Whether it is western animation or anime, it has a place here. Comics and manga have a place here as well.

I'll offer up my favorite anime: Monster.
    [​IMG]

If you liked the movie The Fugitive, you'll love this series. It is well made with a villain that you love to hate.

Phaselock and Flaxative like this.
  2. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

I'm guessing my favourites are all well known by people here anyway - Archer, Bob's Burgers, Adventure Time...
    But how many Card Hunters watch Peppa Pig? With a two year old Farbs Jr scurrying about in my house, I find myself watching it quite a lot.

Here's the highlight of the show:

3. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Ren & Stimpy (obvious from my avatar), Attack on Titan, Cowboy Bebop - and of course Adventure time (I'm currently playing Card Wars on iOS!)

4. Having grown up with Ren & Stimpy, the Adult Party version was a letdown. John K's other show "The Ripping Friends" was better.

Western animation I've loved in the past:
    Ren & Stimpy, Beavis and Butthead, 90's Simpsons, The Critic, Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Muppet Babies, Capitol Critters, Spawn, Batman: the Animated Series, X-Men the Animated series, Superman the Animated Series, King of the Hill, South Park, Aeon Flux, Pirates of Dark Water, and many more.

Anime:
    Monster, Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku, Kimagure Orange Road, Ah! My Goddess, Gunsmith Cats, Bubblegum Crisis, City Hunter, etc... Way too many to list.

As for AMVs... Might as well post this before ArcadianRook floods the thread with them.

doog37 likes this.
  5. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

It's mainstream-ish now, I suppose, but <3 just about everything by Hayao Miyazaki / Studio Ghibli... It's hard to invest me in a movie, but he made my cry twice with Grave of the Fireflies and Whisper of the Heart. I haven't seen the most recent releases (From up on Poppy Hill, The Wind Rises), but they seem like a fitting conclusion to his oeuvre.

≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋∫[⁞⁞⁞⁞⁞⁞⁞⁞]≡(*ェ*)≡

[​IMG]

6. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Oh yeah, and western animation - I love the DC animated universe from the 90s and early 00s. Batman: TAS, Batman Beyond, Teen Titans. ^_^

Also, the old Disney animated series always benefit from nostalgic attachment... TaleSpin, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, Duck Tales.

doog37 and LeisureSuitLoli like this.
  7. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Rocky and Bullwinkle

Mr. Magnifico, ElShafto and neoncat like this.
  8. Ghostbrain

Ghostbrain Ogre

Mind game has some 'interesting' animation, mind it's not for the faint of heart.

Phaselock likes this.
  9. True. With the theme-songs that stuck in your head like dried oatmeal to a bowl.
    As long as Farbs Jr doesn't watch Boohbah he is safe from the horrors of the world. No child should watch that show.
    [​IMG]

Peppa Pig looks interesting. Might give that a watch.

Children's animation... Maya the Honeybee which now has a CG version (also the first anime I ever watched), The World of David the Gnome, Danger Mouse, Inspector Gadget, and Adventures of the Little Koala are some of the ones I watched as a child.

10. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

I'm a big fan of Adventure Time and Bob's Burgers right now. One of my favorite shows of all time is Home Movies - not necessarily because of the animation (though it's hilariously crude), but the dialog is absolutely amazing. Metalocalypse follows suit (since it's the same guy, Brandon Small).

Rewatching One Piece with the wife and it's holding up (though I stopped ages ago because of horrible fan-subs that I couldn't understand) and recently picked up the new Berserk series on BRD.

I generally don't watch much (if any) anime anymore (I kinda burned out on it in college) but there's some stuff I'm still a big fan of.

And, of course, classic Looney Tunes.

11. ElShafto

ElShafto Goblin Champion

The Tick.

"You know, evil comes in many forms, whether it be a man-eating cow or Josepth Stalin, but you can't let the package hide the pudding! Evil is just plain bad! You don't cotton to it! You've got to smack it in the nose with the rolled-up newspaper of goodness! Bad dog! Bad Dog! And you don't do it for money, no. You know, I've learned something today. On justice.. and on friendship, there is no price. But there are established credit limits."

Sir Veza and Pengw1n like this.
  12. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

The Tick Rocked. And Duckman.

LeisureSuitLoli likes this.
  13. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I'm pretty excited; my roommate is about to start watching this series and that means I get to rewatch it :)

Speaking of characters you love to hate, Itou Makoto.

~

I never did the whole intro post thing, so you guys may not know this about me, but I'm actually a fairly consummate otaku: I've seen approximately 150 days' worth of anime. Most of that was in a three-year span—so I spent a bit over 1/9 of my time for three years watching anime, or 1/6 of my waking hours. That's a commitment I wish I hadn't made, but regardless, it happened. At first I watched things for the novelty. Then I watched things because I was learning more and more about this vast swathe of culture, and it was interesting and fun. Then I watched things because I was the kind of person who watched things—it became a matter of habit. And finally, I watched things because I had a morbid curiosity... how bad could anime be? How oppressively unoriginal could each successive season prove itself, how uninspired and unintelligent its shows? Of course, anime isn't really getting worse*; there's always been a plethora of crap and I simply became more attuned to its flaws the deeper I ventured into the genre.

That said, there're a few really good gems to be found in the thousand+ series I've consumed in my hunger.

Some of my favorite series:
    • Aria
    • Honey & Clover
    • To Heart
    • Simoun
    • Wolf's Rain
    • Dennou Coil
    • Madoka Magica
    • Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad
    • Earth Girl Arjuna

For lighter fare:
    • Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
    • Ben-to!

And some movies:
    • Aquatic Language
    • Pale Cocoon
    • Millennium Actress
    • Ocean Waves
    • 5 cm/s

*Though, the anime industry did suffer hugely from the collapse of several international anime distributors in 2008, and that affected studios' ability to make non-formulaic non-crap.

Phaselock and LeisureSuitLoli like this.
  14. kogi

kogi Ogre

Cowboy Beebop is my absolute favourite.
    Love all Ghibli but Kiki's Delivery Service my favourite. (Live action movie coming soon. (yay!))

What's everyone's pick of the current season

Personally following
    Kill la Kill
    Wizard Barristers: Benmashi Cecil

Still undecided about
    Magical Warfare (Mahou Sensou)
    The Pilot's Love Song (Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta )

Despite all the hype I couldn't get into Space dandy

15. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Monster, Ghost in a Shell, Berserk, Bebop, Akira, Mardock Scramble, Trigun and too many others to list... my all time favorites. I'm a sucker for sci-fi, comedy, hard core adult thrillers... largely becos of new art forms/styles that are great for study. :cool:

same, also following tokyo ravens, log horizon (which makes me think of card hunter :p), Hajime no Ippo (nice comedy series!), zvezda, silver spoon, hamatora. But also following crap like buddy complex, nisekoi, noragami, saki-zenkoku, zx ignition, strike the blood, nobunagun. :(

iirc, Mahou sensou is a harem anime...kinda meh for me, not following either. Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta is a slow starter alto the stage for lotsa drama is there...not for the impatient.

16. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Reminds me of the good old days. I used to watch like 30+ series/season.

17. kogi

kogi Ogre

The good old days where you have to lurk in irc and run a dcc bot?

18. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

MY old days, which thankfully were not old enough to include trawling Usenet for VHS rips :)

19. illkkill

illkkill Mushroom Warrior

Anything sci-fi or some fantasy!!!!!!! My roommate showed me attack on the titans a year ago and I'm hooked up with it. My friend showed me mirai nikki and battle royal and I like them too! e I also watch adventure time and avatar with my friends ( although I don't watch them myself). I usually like reading manga or novels better because of the less time it takes. This year I'm rooming with an otaku who watches 5hr + anime a day. He mainly watches romantic animes and I'm not a big fan of those. He showed me 5cm per second and I think it is too slow and have no substance. Maybe I'm just not a romantic guy :( He also showed me stiens gate which I think is a good romantic anime though! It is really slow and I really want to quit in the beginning but then the fun starts!

Phaselock likes this.
  20. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

(emphasis mine)
    Maybe. What made 5 cm/s work for me was its visuals. When it came out in 2007 or whatever it was stunning. Last year Shinkai released Garden of Words, which is way worse than 5 cm/s on the content level but looks amazing. Check out some gifs here, if you're interested. While it can be fun at times to immerse oneself in the emotionality of Shinkai's work, at the end of the day they're just really pretty animation sequences. And they have quite a bit of substance, if you're the kind of person who appreciates mono no aware.

Steins;Gate was a funny one. I liked the banter between Okarin and Kurisu, and I liked some of the time BS, because that's just a thematic aesthetic that suits me. I actually thought the show became less interesting once whatsherface (the annoying one) started dying three or four times per episode. But whatever, it turned out alright in the end.

Also,
    ... seriously?

If it's a matter of art style, Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls got there first and had way more eye candy.

If it's a matter of cool fight scenes, watch anything from Revolutionary Girl Utena to Escaflowne to Naruto and back—cross-genre and cross-era, Attack on Titan falls short.

And if it's a matter of really needing that obnoxiously loud and self-involved shounen protagonist, well then. I probably can't save you.

LeisureSuitLoli likes this.