Supernova Squadron (1700!)

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Magic Elves, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

It's an early Christmas present to Cardhunter! People have been asking about my deck, so I've decided to share it with the masses.

Tactical Retreat
    Level 6 Elf Warrior

As usual, my newest favorite deck is made up of extremely similar individuals (in this case identical, which is why I only posted one deck instead of three), all packing large amounts of counters to assorted threats. What makes this deck special is that it's absurdly cheap for a deck of this quality, checking in at only three epic and NO legendary items. If you have three Nova Axes, you're almost guaranteed to be able to build this deck. This is actually an upgrade of an old deck built to aggravate warriors by running huge amounts of blocking maces, made more effective by actually being able to attack without having been attacked and being able to fight against wizards.

Items:
    Nova Axe: The core of the deck, an incredibly effective weapon for triple warrior decks by providing a source of purge. Has three very strong moves on it to be drawn from maneuvers, and Obliterating Chop can easily get you 20 damage if you're competent at positioning.
    Double-edged Sword: Provides a range 2 alternative, allowing you to both attack from different positions and get attacks in before your opponents. Also provides two Dancing Cut for extra movement to be drawn off of maneuvers.
    Blocking Mace: A classic defensive weapon that still packs a punch, it both cycles your deck and protects your admittedly fragile elves with parries. I'm gonna run out of things to say about this weapon if I make another deck with it.
    Gauntlets of the Giant: My preferred alternative to Cuirass Of Froth, this item only offers one Frenzy Aura, but has two very useful armors and doesn't slow. Frenzy Aura may seem like a good way to lose a gold card when first hit, but it's very useful at turning your strongest attacks into even stronger ones, and provides yet another way of getting past armor.
    Black Cat Buckler: Accept no substitutes. Parry is as good as it's ever been, you're going to be in close combat as much as possible unless you're fleeing or hiding from wizards, there's no good reason to not run this.
    Helmet of Thorns: Due to the slightly low amount of attacks per warrior in this deck, you're going to want to make every hit count. War Cry can provide an edge against your opponent by catching them off guard, not to mention it's also a cantrip in case you need to get the first turn in.
    Goat Boots: These boots have the useful property of having only one very good move on them, meaning that Maneuvers won't draw useless moves very often. Immovable is also a very useful card against pushy people such as wizards or warriors with violent spin.
    Cautious Mobility: I shouldn't have to tell you why I'm using this.
    Novice Impaling: You have penetrating attacks already, why not do more damage with them?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  2. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

So basically meta: The deck.

Happenstance likes this.
  3. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

I made this deck all by myself, any similarities between it and what other people also think are good items are purely coincidental.

Happenstance likes this.
  4. billiska

billiska Ogre

I like the deck name... and the deck also.

But I also feels it's weird to buff your already big attacks with frenzy aura. Just thinking of the damage gain in percentage.

5. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

Alright, let's do some math. I attack my opponent with a 10 damage Obliterating Chop. Without the Frenzy Aura, I'll do 10 damage. With the Frenzy Aura, I'll do 13. That's only a 30 percent increase, which while decent, it isn't the best. However, this isn't factoring armor. If my theoretical opponent had reliable mail on, it would be a difference between 8 damage and 13 damage, which is a 62 percent increase in damage. If Cushioning Armor is in play, the comparison is 5 to 13, a 160 percent increase in damage done. Frenzy Aura also works well on the smaller attacks such as Dancing Cut and Purging Strike, increasing damage done by drastic amounts. I'm not just running Gauntlets for the Frenzy Aura either, I'm also running it for the other two armor cards, which have come in handy on many occasions. If you have any suggestions on replacements though, I'd love to hear them!

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  6. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

If anything, Elves creates meta.

7. Han Lee

Han Lee Guild Leader

Cuirass of froth seems like the better choice here, especially since you're using elves with high mobility. It doesn't seem like these elves will survive a batterment of fireballs even with the extra reliable mail.

8. billiska

billiska Ogre

Xander's Mail. If you have them. because travelling curse on elves with no healing and no good armor sounds like a bad idea. The token could be moved to:
    1. martial skills. For Savvy Attacker or Superb Impaling
    2. or boots. For the usual Diamond Moccasins (bad against telekinesis but considerably better at landing chop)

9. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Isnt traveling curse acceptable in extreme maneuver builds since it might be skipped over? i wouldn't know since i don't explore lows.

10. Jezterscap

Jezterscap Lizardman Priest

This makes no difference as the curse could be anywhere in the deck.
    Yes some games you might discard it to maneuvers but there is an equal chance you can cycle to it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    Obernoob likes this.
  11. graurr

graurr Kobold

I had almost all the items so I gave it a try, I have to say this deck has a good feeling and my opponents also said it was quite good!
    I think it's a great deck for his rarity cards! almost anyone could do this and have great results!

12. Thoughts on Slice and Dice?

Magic Elves and Flaxative like this.
  13. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

I can't tell you, I don't own one! (let alone three) I'm not really the biggest fan of laser weapons to begin with either, the only one I really like is Laser Thrust due to being both the highest damage step attack and penetrating. I can see Slice and Dice being potentially good, though.

14. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

I like slice and dice for the time-saving. It will make cooking this years Xmas roast a breeze!

Pawndawan likes this.
  15. Also, thoughts on Werewolf/Garalem?

16. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

More moves than I'd like to have on elves with only a few extremely useful moves in their deck, but it could have potential. I'd probably use boots without a third move though, because I almost always find myself saving cards with these guys due to my great strategy of periodically running away to get better cards. Immovable has been very useful to me, but I might be overvaluing its effectiveness considering the amount of mobility I have.

17. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

18. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

I can relate to the general consideration, extra mobility seems tempting. But in the step heavy context not really needed. And do you want maneuvers to draw you blocks?
    Better stick to the meta, magic.

Magic Elves likes this.
  19. Wandere

Wandere Lizardman Priest

Yeah, having lost to this deck three times in a row now, the reliable parry draws make me cry. :p

20. Bluephoria

Bluephoria Kobold