[sugguestion]Cancel move and Strip equiptments

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by neoe, Jul 24, 2015.

1. neoe

neoe Kobold

1. add a way to cancel move and some ability have push or move.
    2. add a strip button to remove all cards from hero will be easier to build the party/hero.

2. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

Unfortunately, moves can't be cancelled because simply selecting them can sometimes trigger effects. It's not a problem that's easy to fix. You can read about it here (from the beta).

Also, there are lots of cards that allow you to move allies; here are a few:

Telekinesis, Run, Team!, Walk, Team!, Team Walk, Force Bolt.

3. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Just save a naked party with no characters and no items on any of the inactive characters. I title mine "CLEAR."

timeracers likes this.
  4. neoe

neoe Kobold

Your way is smart!
    But I still prefer a new strip button because maybe I will change characters in party(like switch elf with dwarf).

5. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

For what it's worth, CTRL + mouse click removes items. It's not an all at once, but it's still faster than dragging.

Juxtapostion and Bandreus like this.
  6. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Easiest solution to fixing the move card issue-
    Have clicking a movement card 'raise' the card from the hand to show it's selected (also acting as a partial zoom), have an bar at the bottom with a down-facing arrow symbol, that you can click to return the card to hand.

Thus, for players certain they want to run a move card, it's a fast double-click at the top of the card, no real change in approach.

Sure, it won't remove all issues, but it removes the most critical one: Misclicks.

Sir Veza likes this.
  7. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

That'd make the UI work differently for Move Cards only, which is not ideal: in a game like CH, playing cards is the core user-interaction, so you want that experience to be as streamlined and fluid as possible (Click on Card -> Pick a target character or tile to use the card OR cancel it).

I think a much simpler solution would be to just let you cancel a Move Card after the relevant effects take place. This would mean that simply clicking on a Move Card might potentially reveal it along with other cards, but at least you would still be able to cancel it.

An obvious exception to this would be if an enemy card's effect was triggered (say, Maze of The Mind, Hypnotic Beacon, Reactive Trip, etc.). In such an instance, you shouldn't be able to cancel the move card.

So in short: make move cards cancel-able unless an enemy card is triggered and/or revealed.

Not sure how hard this kind of behavior would be to implement and maintain though.

8. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I'd like it to work that way too, but I think the point has been made that it would be extremely difficult to change.

9. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

There are still a couple of other problems. The biggest one is the randomness from cards like Slowed. (We can't allow players to cancel after getting a bad dice roll, and then just try again.) Another issue is that by just trying the move card you'd know if the enemy has Maze of the Mind - and you could then cancel the move without wasting it. eg. Use Shuffle to see if the enemy has Maze of the Mind - if they do, then you only waste the shuffle, if they don't, then you cancel and use Sprint instead.

timeracers likes this.
  10. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

That's why I specified you still shouldn't be allowed to cancel a move after it triggers an enemy card. If the enemy has Maze of the Mind, everything would still work like it always has (your char gets placed by your opponent and that's it). It's absolutely important that if cancelling move cards ever happens, it cannot be abused in any of the mentioned-above ways.

The issue with cards like Slowed/Demonic Miasma/Unstable Bolt is slightly more complicated. I think a valid solution for this issue might be the following: if selecting a Move Card triggers a roll, you can only cancel if the roll was successful (i.e. if the triggered effect didn't take place).

That way, if you you picked the move card by mistake (a misclick or otherwise), you might still be able to cancel it. Still, you wouldn't be able to abuse this to cancel the card repeatedly until you get a successful roll.

EDIT: just wanna stress that any triggered card would still be revealed to the enemy, so cancelling move cards can still be a disadvantage, but at least you would still be given the option to make up for an unwanted mistake. At the same time, if an enemy card ever gets triggered/revealed (not counting attachments of course) by a move, then it's absolutely important you cannot cancel your move, in order to avoid potential abuse.

11. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I think it's better just to teach players to preview cards by hovering rather than clicking (right click or space to zoom in ). And I want step attacks to show movement and attack range in preview.

Xayrn and timeracers like this.
  12. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I still think @DunDunDun 's suggestion of requiring a double click to prevent inadvertant misclicks is the best alternative I've seen.
    It is needed by some players, but not others. Kind of a "User Accessability" issue, which might but turned on or off in the settings menu.
    But, IMO, once you click (or double click) a move card, you've played it. So pay attention.

DunDunDun and timeracers like this.
  13. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Agreed. There are a number of cards that can't be canceled when clicked (basically any global effect card: firestorm, foa, elvish insight, etc). However, I've never seen this request made with anything but move cards. My conclusion (which could be wrong) is that this is a learning curve issue, not actually something that should be changed. Often new players rush decisions and then want to cancel, by the time they have progressed far enough to get more rare cards such as elvish insight this scenario is much more rare; they know they want to play a card when they click on it. I don't see a double-click feature for move cards really being of benefit. It's good that such a common card seen early on slows players down, teaching them to make decisive choices.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    karadoc and Xayrn like this.
  14. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

As I noted, works as a partial zoom, could be applied to all cards.

The issue here is user-side, there's no real reason to have a complex, erratic system in place that still punishes users for misclicks.
    An easier way to do what you're asking is to change the calculation step to occur on initial tile click- then, perhaps changing your total move and forcing selection of another tile- rather than on card select.

I like that, but I'm always a fan of the option to add/remove safeguards in menus [like, oh, CH auto-target. ;)]

And yeah, I like Chess rules when it comes to movement, but in chess, you don't TYPICALLY have a chance to accidentally grab the wrong piece due to interface issues. :p

An issue of prevalence more than anything.

Us individuals with persistent micro-tremors and muscle spasms from our spinal injuries and brain damage thank you for your opinion, and wonder how many more months of play they'll need before they've learned it proper?

I've also had issues with the hit-boxes mis-aligning at times and have clicked the wrong card due to clicking too close to the border of the adjacent card; not sure why that occurs [though at some point perhaps I should play enough in Steam to see if it occurs there or not].

I've ALSO had it happen when the game is lagging, and you click too soon after moving over a card, and it acts as though your cursor is still on the card you had moved over just previously to get to the card you're clicking on.
    (Ie, moving your mouse right to left over your hand, it'll end up clicking a card one to the right of the one you intended.)

So why not be generous to them and have an option for that, that you can unset in the menu when you're more experienced?
    I mean, I know -I- learned to ride a bike by being pushed by the neighborhood kids toward bramble bushes (boy you learn fast), but I don't begrudge people learning to ride a bike by using time and training wheels, either.

Or, you know, older players, after a long hard day, may just want to log in and play to relax, without worrying about their tired minds making a mistake.

Decisive choices?
    That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
    For the normal person, calculation is a series of steps stored in cognition and determined against odds you continuously adjust against.
    Or, my awkward language skills aside, it means that all you're doing is punishing people who- aside from all the circumstances I listed above- may just be visual thinkers and utilize clicking a card as part of their thought process, rather than affecting people's calculations in the slightest. For everyone else, they'll make the exact same decisions, but just delay physical response.

Unless you're presuming people click on the card and then regret the outcome, which is nonsensical, seeing as you can get that sort of effect by hovering on it; versus regretting clicking on a move card at all.

You're kinda coming across patronizing and unforgiving there, Scarp :X

Sir Veza likes this.
  15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Not triggering something that isn't present gives just as much info as triggering something that is present, sort of? >_>

Xayrn and DunDunDun like this.
  16. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Sort of, I reckon that.

So you could select a move card, if nothing triggers you'd know the opponent doesn't have Maze Of The Mind or Reactive Trip. Otherwise you lose your move card w/o the ability to cancel it (and potentially putting yourself in a very tight spot).

Luckily enough, players don't really have access to that sort of cards (save for Monster Hunt), so at least MP should not be harmed in any significant way by such a minor abuse.

For the SP modules in which enemies do have those cards, do you think the ability to check for them (while still accepting the risk they might waste their precious move card) would constitute an unfair advantage?

Flaxative likes this.
  17. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

No, I was being facetious. Your suggestion is exactly the same as my own. Haven't yet talked to Jon about how much work it would be to implement, though. Been leaving it on hold for a few months due to EttSC/Steam.

=)

Fortaleza likes this.
  18. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Well, it's not a bad fix by any means. The number of occasions where a misclick or hitbox error would cause issues would be in a small minimum, then.
    I still like my idea of just having a confirmation-click, though-
    But really, any fix is welcome, for reasons detailed in my last post. :X