[Suggestion] - Special snowflakes

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Malachi256, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Malachi256

Malachi256 Kobold

So I've only dabbled for a couple days, and so far I'm REALLY liking what I'm seeing - I'm already jonesing for the game to come out (I'm not big on seeing all the content during betas). The pacing, charm, tactics, all-around-fun is just great.

The only thought that has really hit me in my first handful of hours is simply a desire for some character customization.

RPGs are all about character creation and development, and this game is simply lacking those things. The only choices are race and class, and progression is all item based, which ends up making everything feel very generic. I want to make decisions and do things my way! I realize there's a bit of a "you're developing a toolset and learning when to use what" theme to this game, and being locked in to any particular strategy is the opposite of that, but maybe there's room for a little customization.

I also realize that it's probably far too late to make the kinds of changes I'm interested in, and my suggestions would also significantly mess with balance, but nonetheless here goes...

1. Give us some basic customization options upon creation and at certain levels. Lots of possibilities here. Perhaps simply "offensive" or "defensive" specialization for a warrior, determining whether that character has some extra default (always present) card abilities, or perhaps additional item slots. Or you could do something more specialized, like "talents" that affect how the character interacts with cards/the game (similar to the trait cards) - for example, a talent that gives the character an extra move card the first time they're on a bad terrain, or an extra defense card when they're flanked by an enemy. The first time this guy uses a "walk" card, it's good for 3 moves. Like I said, lots of possibilities.

2. I also would like to see the power token system just diversified slightly. Instead of just basic power levels, also add types - offense, defense, tactical, etc. Once again, something to give us choices as we level.

Concerns about balance are certainly reasonable, and I think it would also be reasonable to simply disable this system for multiplayer (at least at first), but for the campaign it would add some much needed "this is MY party" feeling that is currently lacking (at least for me).