[SUGGESTION] Resistant Hide tweaks

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by ParodyKnaveBob, Mar 31, 2021.

Tags:
?

Should Resistant Hide get Immunity tweaks?

1. No, it's fine.

38.5%
  2. Yes, add Cold. It only makes sense.

46.2%
  3. Yes, remove Poison. Despite the nice feature, it makes no sense.

53.8%
  4. Yes, add Radiation. Flavor in favor of Hide.

7.7%
  5. Yes but in some other way. (Please explain.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

This is by no means a new concept to discuss, but I don't see any particular thread suggesting this exactly.

[​IMG]

Resistant Hide has been around for quite a while.
    Against Fire, it's awesome. Against Electricity, it's awesome.

Against Acid, well uh, in some edge cases, it prevents damage for a moment, thus that's nice. If Hex Of Dissolution were more viable, it might couple well with Officer's Harness to help prevent at least one 12+ damage Attack, but obviously, if your opponent has Hex, there's a lot of Acid splashing around trying to remove your Hide. $;^ J It's more likely just gonna prevent a little Acid Jet damage right now. Obviously, it's great against mindless Festering Zombies, though.

Against Poison, well uh, it's great? Beat Zombies and Cockroaches? But why? Poison damage is inherently Penetrating (unlike Psychic) via the Poison damage Keyword itself. And so, this outside hide you wear (or naturally grow) with all its great resistance ... somehow protects you from biotoxins that are Attached inside your body? Hmmmm. I mean, y'know, yay, beat Zombies and Cockroaches, but ... I've never liked that, really. The flavor makes no sense. Also, PvP balance-wise, this only affects Zombie Form right now (which currently only comes from Spark Of Undeath, randomized Radiation Attacks, and randomized Shifting Block); I doubt anybody in the game would throw a fit if one of the two solid Zombie Form cards gained this one edge case advantage. However, I don't know what the PvE folks would do to me. We all know folks is a word which here means "Sir Veza." $¦^ b

Against Silver, Sonic, Radiation, Laser, and Arcane, it's -1/2 damage. This is all fine, amirite? (Well, maybe it'd be neat to pick up Radiation Immunity just for flavor, but I dunno. I'll add it to the poll for the sake of it.)

Against Psychic, it's -1/2 damage, and that's pure silly, but that's Psychic's fault. $¦^ b

Against Cold, it's -1/2 damage. $:^ | Wait, what? Cold is about as "elemental damage" as one can muster. What element should a hide probably resist the very most? Cold! The PvE damage really isn't as bad as the Encumber effect anyway in my estimation. The PvP damage gets utterly insane, though, with Cooling Laser and other buffs rocking those 6- and 8- range spells way up there, often (naturally) spending the Cooling Laser itself as a finisher; add to that the Encumber-to-1 effects plus control spells, and I've seen a lot of Cold wizard domination since I returned to the game the other month.

I 100% suggest adding Cold to its list of Immunity. It's pure flavor. Someone else would have to remind me if it utterly wrecks Campaign or Mauve Manticore anywhere. I suspect the Cold wizard PvPers would be fine with this since Armor removal is a standard wizard thing anyway, and in a pinch, one might feel the need to fire the Laser sooner than later – or even hang onto it longer than originally intended. Yay, interesting choices.

I ..80%? suggest removing Poison. I'm 100% good with it being gone unless someone can convince me otherwise.

I'm not actually suggesting adding Radiation, but I can see why someone might at least want it for flavor reasons. I believe I'd actually prefer flavor in favor of Rads and making them inherently Penetrating, but that's another topic. $;^ J

2. mikey76500

mikey76500 Hydra

I honestly don't see the point of being Immune from Cold while still being affected by the Encumber, honestly. Instead of Resistant Hide Armor being buffed, Mythical Drakehide and Mythical Wyrmhide need to get buffed on the Armor side, instead. The 2 Mythical Armor cards might be good at detaching, but, they're kinda garbage at blocking damage, and I don't use either of them, even in Campaign, because of it.

I, btw, am one of the Campaign folks you speak of. I play Campaign WAY, WAY, WAY, WAAAAAY more than MP, so, you'll forgive me if I DON'T want you removing something that makes dealing with--among a bunch of other things--Festering Guts'd Festering Zombies a little less of a nightmare. :p

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  3. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Good prediction, bro!

I gave up on logic and reason in this game years ago. After a few months I figured out which way Cardhuntrian winds blew.

Fire and Electricity: I think we both agree.

Acid: I think Festering Zombies are the main reason acid was included. Without it they would be really easy to chain burst. As it is now, it requires a bit of setting up. If it doesn't adversely affect pvp balance, I recommend leaving it as-is.

Poison: Um, magically protective? A wizard thing? Again, if it doesn't adversely affect pvp balance, I recommend leaving it as-is. It can be really handy in the campaign.

Cold: If the fire protection is of an ablative nature, it would not protect against cold. (A nod to those who still pursue logic in CH.) It wouldn't hurt my feelings if cold is added, but pvp balance might be an issue.

4. ParodyKnaveBob

Mikey: Folks, PvE, Festering Zombies, Poison...
    Guts explosions are Acid. That wouldn't be changed by removing Immunity to Poison. $;^ J

5. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

So what would be gained?

6. ParodyKnaveBob

Just more sensible flavor. That's why I'm 100% for adding Cold and only 80% for removing Poison. I'm sure people like the Poison Immunity. I mean, ha, *I* like the Poison Immunity.

On the other hand, (essaying this out,) no, okay, something that would be gained:
    Different choices having more impact in the game.
    Resistant Hide vs. Cockroaches & Morvin the Malodorous, why? Firestorm Firestorm Firestorm. Oh yeah, and Poison, that's a nice side effect, cool.
    OR no Poison Immunity, and instead...
    Mystical Drakehide or Mystical Wyrmhide (or both! -> Viridian Dragoncloak, which even has a nice Armor remover) ... or Mystical Drakehide + Resistant Hide (for your continued Firestorming pleasure -> Yellowdrake Robes) ... etc.

Thanks for asking and making me think it through. ~nod~

Sir Veza likes this.
  7. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

The Mystical hides often failed for me, just like my parries. I rarely use them for anything anymore.

8. ParodyKnaveBob

Bah, I just realized, my poll is flawed. I separate the yes-changes but don't separate the no-don't-changes. $:^ \ Harder for people to express only change one or the other...