[Suggestion] Reduce Cooling Laser base damage or range

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Deepweed, May 8, 2016.

1. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

Just like it says on the tin. Here's the argument:

Of all the Magic Laser attacks, Cooling Laser has the highest base damage tied with Mega Laser at 7 + mED (Minor Erratic Damage). It is the only laser attack, though, that has a range of 8. For a jump from Gold+ (where Mega Laser is) to Emerald= (Cooling Laser currently), you get +2 range and potentially +2 per Magic Cold attack! This has always seemed odd to me.

The average bonus damage you get from Minor Erratic Damage is 2, discounting the malfunctions, which are usually bad for wizards. That means Mega Laser has a base damage of around 9 which is tied with Obliterating Spark. This seems reasonable as the lower cost of Mega Laser is offset by its unreliability, lack of Hard to Block 2, and not trait buffable state.

I just don't think you should be able to do so much damage at such high range (which is why I also think Flash Of Agony is far out of balance). Think about this comparison for Cooling Laser - it's basically a higher range Obliterating Spark which is slightly less reliable but has lower damage. You just get a Spark Generator-like boost (+2 damage) for cold spells. Is the jump from 6 to 8 range and a trait-like boost equal to Hard to Block 2? I don't think so. Since Cooling Laser comes in items with cold spells you're going to use those first, so Hard to Block 2 doesn't matter that much.

I suggest that Cooling Laser have its base damage reduced to 6, or its range reduced to 6 (but not both).

This should make people focus more on the boost aspect of the card instead of going for straight damage. I have watched far too many games wherein one side just bombards the other with high damage range 8 attacks with no reasonable counterplay (only counter build). This is almost as unfun as facing buffed burst, in my opinion.

I've always thought of Pulverizing Bludgeon for melee attacks as equivalent to Obliterating Spark for magic attacks. They have a special effect instead of maximum possible damage at their quality, in that Pulverizing Bludgeon has the block consequence and it is not an Obliterating Bludgeon. This makes sense because giving players cards with base damage as high as Obliterating Bludgeon is potentially abusable and ridiculous.

Now, here's another idea: Laser Whip is parallel to Cooling Laser. Aside from them both having malfunctions you could potentially play around, they both have lower than the maximum possible damage at their quality in exchange for range. But why, then, does Cooling Laser have the same average damage as Obliterating Spark, but Laser Whip has less average damage and more drawbacks compared to Pulverizing Bludgeon?

Darkgryf likes this.
  2. hello world

hello world Hydra

If one of the two has to change, can the part where it boosts cold attacks also be removed?
    Having to reveal that you have an 8+ damage attack and aren't simply frost jolting something to slow it's advancement , but to kill it is so annoying when you have to kill something.
    Similarly having to reveal that you aren't holding a block/movement/slide or something,and that rushing that character is going to be easy is also a pretty bad thing.

This might not be a serious complain,.

3. snickersimba

snickersimba Goblin Champion

How about we leave the only damaging wizard build I can reliably use alone? If you want to do anything to wizards, kill burrft and pure control wizards first. I have one solid and enjoyable wizard, my cold wizard and thats it. So cold laser is balanced and fine as there are way worse wizard builds.