[Suggestion] Oh wise developers, give us more quests!

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Martin K, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

First I'd like to repeat what others have been asking for already:
    - Quests are repeatable. I wouldn't even mind of they give a rare each time. Rares sell for 5 gold, you'd have to farm 500 quests to afford one legendary. If somebody is that dedicated there should be a reward.

- The 1hp quests should really be worth it. Can we have an epic or legendary pretty please?

- More Use <race class> Only quests. Why not add a "beat this quest with every race class combination" that has 9 boxes to check. I already have dwarf clerics, elf warriors and human wizards ready.

And of course, more challenge modes! Here are some ideas:

Raging Monsters - All monsters start with Blind Rage attached.
    Frenzied Monsters - All monsters start with Mass Frenzy attached.
    Tough Monsters - All monsters have double hit points.
    Flawless Monsters - All handicap cards are removed from the monster decks.

Hidden Monsters - You don't see the monsters unless your PCs have line of sight to them.

Turned Tables - Play each combat twice, once as the PCs, then as the monsters. You need to win both times!
    (The challenge here is to bring a party that is just powerful enough to pull off a win, but can still be defeated by the monsters in round 2. This is also a good test for the AI.)

Wrath of Nature - Random rocks and lava terrain each turn.
    (Some adventure descriptions mention that you need to quickly escape before the place collapses - this could be programmed in...)

Common Items Only - Use only common items.
    Epic Items Only - Use only epic or legendary items. (The real challenge here is to collect enough to equip a party...)

No hand limit - Monsters and PCs don't discard at the end of the turn. The phase is skipped.
    Draw One Less - PC / monster / group draws one less card each turn.

Par 3 - You need to defeat the monsters in 3 rounds. (Adjust numbers as needed)

Thanks to the developers for a great game. I'm looking forward to see what new content is coming up.

Accent, karadoc, Sir Veza and 7 others like this.
  2. I think new quests should:

1. Be more challenging (not just different)
    2. Force player to rethink deckbuilding OR force player to rethink strategy

If neither of the above applies, I don't think that quest idea should happen.

Here's my take on those ideas you posted:

Raging Monsters and Frenzied Monsters sound a bit weak imo since it usually takes one round for them to even reach you. You could just stall and wait for the effect to end, and then it's just a regular battle. Blind Rage would also damage them so it might even be to your advantage. I think that only way these kinds of buffs would work would be if they were reapplied at the start of each round.

Tough Monsters is simple and I guess it could work. Only problem though is that it would make the matches last longer without really making any cool changes to the game. It would be different and more challenging, yes, but it would be pretty boring and time-consuming.

Flawless Monsters. I don't think this would have big difference. Sure, fights would be tougher but from deckbuilding and strategy standpoint they would be pretty much the same.

I think that Common Items Only should be the next new quest and I have suggested it myself in some other topic. Common Items Only would be good because not only does it force you to rethink your whole deck, it would also increase difficulty.

Problem with Epic Items Only is that it's not really a disadvantage. It would also kind of suck that new players might not be able to try it out.

Hidden Monsters, Turned Tables and No hand limit would probably require some serious recoding of the game. If that is not an issue, the first two would be interesting. The last one is kind of meh.

Draw One Less has a similar problem that tough monsters did. It doesn't really change things all that much, only makes matches last longer.

Par 3 would work very well I think. It's simple, yet challenging and requires deckbuilding skills.

--------------------------------

I have one simple idea:

Solo Quest - Use only one character (only first character of the mp party appears)

Accent, karadoc, Kablizzy and 4 others like this.
  3. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

Some of those are probably too easy, but I'm all for more quests of any sort.

ETA: Was replying to Martin K.

4. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

I particularly like these two ideas:
    as well as this one:
    perhaps with a Two Adventurers quest as an intermediate difficulty if using just one is considered too hard for some adventures.

I'd love to see some level specific ones too, e.g. Kill monster X before monster Y, kill monster Z first or finish Rescue from Shieldhaven Prison without killing any servants.

Neofalcon and Mirkel like this.
  5. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

Can you imagine "Kill the king last" quest for Tomb of the Swamp King? Hmm, maybe too easy since you could freeze him but that sort of stuff definitely have some potential to be interesting. How about "Kill Melvelous the Magnificient first on every map" for that adventure?

6. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

Sure, it could also be a repeated buff or a permanent attachment as you suggest.

I wouldn't add it for every single adventure, just the ones where the best strategy is to barge in an kill everything quickly, like the Berserker Gnomes. At 50 hp, they would be absolutely terrifying.

Sure, but right now you can rely on drawback cards to make a few quests very easy, especially Melvelous. This would be a specific challenge for some adventures, not all of them.

Yeah, but you also have many many players who play CH to collect every item they can get their hands on. You need to give them something too. Remember that these are bonus challenges that you can try after beating the campaign. Not everyone collects all ultimate weapons in Final Fantasy X and goes on to beat the superbosses, but some people like that sort of thing.
    Maybe you can combine Epic Items Only with some of the monster buffs suggested here.

7. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

I've done that. It's not a bad strategy. You just focus fire on the heavy hitters. Most of them are group monsters, so they only get one attack per round anyway.
    Think of it this way: If you have 3 mercenaries and three servants, they draw 3, get 3 bonus cards and get 3 attacks per round.
    Kill a servant, and you reduce their card draw by one. Kill a mercenary, and you reduce their attacks by one.

It makes sense to kill the servants is if you have a control wizard party to reduce the amount of movement cards and team shifts that allow them to avoid your spikes and lava. You also have 5+ damage ranged attacks to do so.

With 3 warriors, just gang up on the mercs and dogs one by one and kill them. Ignore the servants.

Anyhow, it would be nice to see that as an official quest to make players consider that strategy.

8. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

S
    Some nice concepts there.

9. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

Adding more:

Solo PC: Use only one PC. (Credit to Kablizzy)

No Party Death and No Priest: Without healing spells, the no death challenges are much harder...

Path of Pain: Each time you play a card, take one (two, three?) points of unpreventable damage.

Traitor!: Before each combat, one PC is selected at random. This PC joins the enemy side! His deck is moved to the DM side and he'll be played by the AI.

Also, this one is more a special map:

Mirror Match: The DM plays the same party you bring to the fight. This could be used to test builds for MP.

spacedust likes this.
  10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Wow, Traitor sounds fun. Maybe you should get a random (minion) enemy to compensate, though :)

11. Kablizzy

Kablizzy Orc Soldier

Still love these.

12. boro

boro Goblin Champion

in addition:

- aota items only quest for aota maps
    - some kind of checkpoint/capture the flag mode requiring high mobility builds (you lose at end of turn if you didn't get the checkpoint or something)
    - a quest with more or different monsters

Accent likes this.
  13. ArnieBear

ArnieBear War Monkey

I think the SP campaign definitely needs to be fleshed out more to add to its longevity. Having completed the campaign a few times and done all but a few 1HP quests I find there is now becoming little value in playing on (other than MP which really doesn't interest me so much).

I love the idea of additional quests as this would help to keep the campaign alive longer - of the above suggestions I love the idea of

- Quests being repeatable. Once I have worked out the solution it seems a shame I cant replay the mission (happy if the chest reward was lower or removed for replay)

- More racial quests - I would like to see a racial challenge quest on at least every level
    - Tough Monsters - It would be nice to have a hard mode (although I quite like an easier mode too for when Ive been pwned in MP or played Astral shrine or attack of the war monkeys so I can just annihilate some AI teams!!)
    - Hidden Monsters - Nice idea, would need very randomised placement to work really well
    - Turned Tables - Play each combat twice, once as the PCs, then as the monsters. You need to win both times!
    - Common/Epic Items Only - I like the idea of limited equipment challenges
    - Par 3
    - Solo PC -
    Quests which limit the character to 1/2 party members is a common RPG challenge and I would like to see this
    - Path of Pain
    - Traitor! - simply a brilliant idea
    - Mirror Match - this may also be useful to help build personal tactics for MP matches

All in all some great ideas I just hop some can be implemented before SP players lose interest and move away

Accent and Sir Veza like this.