[Suggestion] Drow!!

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Martin K, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

Dear Flaxative, before you come back and claim that Drow are "New D&D", I'd like to point you to Vault of the Drow, published by Gary Gygax in 1978. And of course, the copyright-neutral term is dark elves.

With that out of the way, here's the obligatory hot chick (artist credit)

[​IMG]

Since drow are elves, they get the standard Dash default move and low hp.

That leaves the fun part: the skills.

Now, drow are known for a few things:
    - Spider worship: see Spider Pet below
    - Darkness (not really implemented yet, but there is Smoke Bomb and Soothing Darkness)
    - Scimitars: mobile attacks like Dancing Cut are very fitting
    - Hand crossbows: No PC ranged weapons yet, but I'm sure we'll see them with the Rogue update
    - Poison, especially sleeping poison. Not much on PC items yet, but there are Poisoned Cut, Poisoned Spear Stab and others
    - Spell resistance: Missile Block, Absorbing Block, Impenetrable Nimbus
    - Levitation (Hover or even Fly)
    - Faerie fire: A counter for invisibility. Invisibility is not in the game yet.
    - Since they are elves, items could also include cards like Dodge, Slippery or even Elf Mobility. However, there shouldn't be more than one movement card per item to keep them separate from standard elves.
    - Typical handicaps include Arcane Feedback, Loner, Superstitious, Traveling Curse and Vulnerable. However, Drow should not be Clumsy or Squeamish.

That's great material for skill items. Examples below.

Cloud the Mind: Memory Loss, Short Perplexing Ray, Smoke Bomb

Dark Elf Nobility: Hover, Absorbing Block, Arrogant Armor

Shadow Assassin: Smoke Bomb, Poisoned Cut, Cowardly Attack

Shadow Dancer: Dancing Cut, Quick Step, Lunging Thrust

Pet Spider: Infected Bite, Vicious Bite, Ouch!

Child of Darkness: Smoke Bomb, Soothing Darkness, Spear Of Darkness

2. actionjack

actionjack Mushroom Warrior

I like Drows (see avatar)
    If anything, would like to see them in SP too.

But I like the list of racial skills/cards.

3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I didn't realize that this thread was dedicated to me until I randomly clicked the link from your signature, Martin K. I'm honored.

Also... drow being a mainstream playable race is definitely not old-school D&D, so I don't know what you're trying to prove to me! The module you linked is, I believe, about players going and SLAUGHTERING drow :)

That said... neat ideas :)

4. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

Yeah, but you know how certain players are. If it's cool and ambiguously evil, they will want to play it, so they had PC stats in AD&D Unearthed Arcana, 1985. Still older than most players on the CH server :)

Flaxative likes this.