[Suggestion] "Drive them off" - getting VP to make more sense in some battles

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Sir Knight, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Every now and then I post about Victory Points because I feel the system is underutilized. And particularly in single-player a new player has a hard time understanding why the "stars" matter: for the most part, they're just a redundant kill count.

Here's some language the devs could use to MAKE them make more sense.

We know maps sometimes will let you win even if there's one enemy left, and sometimes this is on purpose. This is supposed to make the fight easier once you've defeated "the biggest threat" . . . but it just looks like a bug. So why not tell the player in the first place "You must drive them off! Earn 5 VP [out of 6/7/8/whatever] to win!" and re-frame the experience? This would both eliminate confusion and (ahem) allow more utilization of the Victory Point system.

Take a map in some early adventure, I'm thinking Highway Robbery, and have the pre-battle description end with "Drive them off!" Then have Gary pop up in-battle to give a Victory Point tutorial (akin to the one in Ruby Demon Portal). Maybe there are eight Goblins but only five need to die. Then the post-battle description emphasizes how the survivors ran off (unlike now, where the player could clearly see an enemy still alive and yet the text only talks about looting corpses).

Take other campaign maps as they are now, add some more enemies (and the "Drive them off!" instruction), and poof, there's suddenly more variety in gameplay. You could even concurrently raise the enemy total but lower the needed Victory Points to keep balance somewhat similar.

More variety, less confusion, yay.

And now I hear about the thirty-page thread where somebody else already suggested this.

ElShafto and Flaxative like this.