SUGGESTION: Award XP for Quest completion

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by M B Lamar, Jul 22, 2013.

1. M B Lamar

M B Lamar Kobold

Since I didn't have 3 wizards, I bought one more and headed into the All Wizards quest for The Wizards Workshop.

At the end, I got no XP. Seems like I should get XP - this is ostensibly harder than a straight adventure. Or is the rare reward in lieu of XP?

Anyhow, it would be nice to have, to bring up the wizard for use in later all wizard challenges.

Mutak likes this.
  2. Mutak

Mutak Goblin Champion

The rare is instead of the XP, but i wish they gave both. Having to do it once for XP and once for items just promotes needless grinding.

3. Forlorn

Forlorn Orc Soldier

Uhhhh.... low level quests do give experience to low level characters. I don't follow??/?

4. Mutak

Mutak Goblin Champion

Quests are different from adventures. Quests are special win conditions (think achievements) that you go for after you've finished the campaign once. Stuff like "beat this adventure with only wizards", "beat this adventure with only dwarves", etc. If you do it then you get a random rare in addition to normal treasure but you don't get experience.

5. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

There are quite a few "suggestion" threads, and even "bug" threads, for this very topic. Here's the most recent pile:

http://www.cardhunter.com/forum/threads/sugestion-characters-should-level-up-in-quests-lv18.2035
    http://www.cardhunter.com/forum/threads/question-quests-and-xp.1763
    http://www.cardhunter.com/forum/threads/about-quests.1909

Yes, as stated, quests mean giving up XP gain for rarer loot gain (and a sense of achievement). New players continue to find it weird. The reason is that Blue Manchu changed things at the beta reset so quests only unlock after you "finish the campaign." Before the beta reset, us players had been running quests to "beef up" our decks, getting the rarer items from a particular level range, and making later adventuring (for XP) easier. Today, you can't use quests to "beef up" your decks, as you've already won by that point. We discussed it here:

http://www.cardhunter.com/forum/threads/when-or-how-are-quests-unlocked.1640

And, of course, "finishing the campaign" will mean something different if they eventually extend levels up to 50. If you think it looks funny now, it will be even weirder in the future.

6. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

OK, I guess we could change this.

Mutak, Zalminen and Blindsight like this.
  7. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

. . . But how? To straight-up XP gain like a normal adventure?

8. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

Is there a downside to this? I think a lot of people would want to go through the quests grooming a new adventuring party. Seems like a great way to encourage more replay.

9. Dwedit

Dwedit Goblin Champion

Only problem is if you're deliberately trying to use a level 1 party because they have so few equipment slots, if they gain EXP, they're not level 1 anymore.

dmar314 likes this.
  10. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

My suggestion was that quests would be available if and only if your is too high level to gain XP from the adventure. So you would have to level up your new chars first, but I've playing 3 parties since level 7, so I already have every race/class combo within 2 levels of each other.

11. Blindsight

Blindsight Ogre

This would be an additional challenge, but would it really be a problem? Some quests might certainly be harder without additional slots (and some might actually be easier due to smaller decks -- haven't tested myself) but things like no player deaths seem like a pretty standard quest to be able to level up a party with. Somewhat of a 'hardcore' mode if you will.

12. Wildghost

Wildghost Kobold

Very disappointed to find quests give no xp. Seemed like a great way to level up some new characters. Now, not feeling very motivated to do it.

Flaxative likes this.
  13. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

14. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

No no no. Oh god please no.

Getting exp from quests have limited use, as you can't level parties for "3x something" quests via quests anyway (not enough such quests). It would however force to level up some parties over and over again if they wish to remain at certain level. Lvl 4 wizard/firestorm probably being most common.

dmar314 likes this.
  15. Aeldaar

Aeldaar Kobold

Please do not add XP gain to quests; there are reasons to have an intentionally low-level party, and forcing level gains would promote a whole lot of pointless grinding

16. Questor

Questor Ogre

Please no xp for quests.

For some challenges it is a lot easier to play lower level chars with fewer slots.

I know its not a problem to level toons up to level 7 but it would be annoying.

17. Turbo164

Turbo164 War Monkey

Potential solution I've seen mentioned in other threads: allow a character's level to be changed to any level they've obtained, but XP is earned based on their "real" (highest) level.

So a Level 6 character could choose to be 1/2/3/4/5/6, gaining no XP from level 2 adventures no matter the choice (since he's really level 6), but having the option to do level 13 quests, and gain XP, without ruining the level 4 build, etc.

Flaxative likes this.
  18. BaldwinP

BaldwinP Kobold

Quests should gain XP, with an option you can set for a character to not gain XP.

This means both that people who want to keep their characters at specific levels for particular PVE setups with fewer than the full number of equipment slots can do so, AND people who want to level new characters for PVE purposes can do so while playing quests instead of having to grind the "normal" mode adventures they have already beaten.

Alternatively, an option for people to create new level 18 characters (once they have beaten the campaign) would be a reasonable alternative.

19. dmar314

dmar314 Goblin Champion

I also would not like to force exp gain for quests. Some of the 1 hp quests for example almost require low level parties because the limited equipment slots are necessary to not dilute the cards you really need for survival. I really don't want to have to spend 30 gold to buy an exact configuration of the same level 1 elf wizard party, unequip and re-equip the gear in the keep, then delete the level 2 elf wizards every time I complete a quest. (Maybe this is partially an inventory management problem but that is a huge pain in the current system and the gold cost would add up as well). Actually, having an option to just arbitrarily de-level characters once you complete campaign would be pretty amazing (and avoid a lot of the tedium involved with preparing for the hardest quests).

20. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I consider this part of the challenge :)