Step cards

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Phaselock, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Lunging strike and shifty stab allow me to choose and attack allies after the step. WAI?

In contrast to all the attack cards that DO NOT pick allies in range, I feel this is inconsistent.

2. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Not only do they allow you to do it, if there are no enemies nearby, you have no choice !

3. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

I learned this the hard way. Buffed 16 damage to my wizards face wasn't fun

4. Jayce

Jayce Hydra

I had sort of reconciled this for cards like Lunging Strike, I had a conceptual view of my character in a commited lunge with a weapon outstretched.

I can't use the same reasoning Shifty Stab though; I could understand some cards working like this, provided the descriptions are added to match.

5. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

The reason for this is that it isn't normally allowed for you to play an attack targeting no one. After the step though, you are already committed to the attack, so you can't just cancel it.

6. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Slight hijack since its move attack card related not being able to use cards like this while immobilized is that intentional and if it is any chance you would reconsider and just let us use the attack but not move?
    Not sure if that is a coding issue or something you figured was fair but it annoyed me greatly a few times so i figured i would bring it up.

7. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

We could certainly consider that, although it's behaving as designed. When halted you can't play any Move cards and step attacks are technically Move cards (as well as Attacks).

8. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

In the end i trust your judgement on the mater considering the job you have done so far just figured i would mention it.

9. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

I have used the Step action as free move cards. If there's no target in range, you still get the movement, which seems to be contrary to the spirit of the action.

10. j-wiz

j-wiz Blue Manchu Staff Member

I always viewed step+attack cards where there's no target as the character practicing his swing at empty space. And when there's only a friendly target around, he's practicing and OOPS someone is in the way.

Phaselock likes this.