[SP] The Princess and the Sharkbear

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Bluemage, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Bluemage

Bluemage Hydra

"Hi everybody, I'm Lucy, and I'm almost nine, my cousin Karen's been teaching me how to play Card Hunter when she's been babysitting me. She helped me write this. She wanted to start the adventure with some adventurers rescuing the princess from a bunch of zombies, but I told her that was dumb because the princess could rescue herself, especially since her pet sharkbear swam down through the dirt to find her and loves the taste of zombies."

(This is my second map, still just playing around with things. The victory points at the door only work for your team, and don't let either of your the princess or her pet die. Other than that, it's not too complicated, and a chance to play with the sharkbear. Especially with the martyr's blessing. Image coming as soon as I figure out where to upload it.)

Attached Files:

Jarmo and Sir Veza like this.
  2. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Thanks for the adventure! I got some enjoyment out of it. I played it a couple of times and have some feedback.

The starting layout area felt frustrating because there was no opportunity to use the sharkbear's charge as the first zombies stay at the wrong places until they reach the bottleneck if you stay back at first. If you move forward immediately, there's no more room to really utilize it.

It would be much more satisfying if you could (on the second turn) charge a long distance and crush one of them. Also in general the bull-like pet feels very cramped in in such a knife fight in a phonebooth.

The surprises were nice and made me restart when I realized what was in store and on the second try I got another surprise, those were cool. The mechanics feel muddled for the theme, though.

Okay, so the story is the princess saving herself from the zombie mob led by a mummy. The zombies keep coming in a ravening horde and can't be stopped, okay. Running away seems the way to go, fine. Just leave them to stew in their rotten misery.

Oops, the mummy is in the way and no room to go around. Guess it's a fight to the undeath, then. Ha, finished him! Oh, the adventure ended.

Guess the princess is now saved while standing in the middle of a zombie mob, only halfway to the doors. Huh.

I offer these opinions in the spirit of possibly helping you improve the areas of your design you seem fit to change. I hope to see more adventures from you as you seem to have the knack for it!

3. Bluemage

Bluemage Hydra

Thanks for the feedback! Also thanks to all the people who stopped in to watch what I was doing when I was testing adventures last night.

Yeah, I noticed the charging thing too, and debated it, but decided to put something out rather than just keep fiddling with it. But it is one of the first things the player would notice, and not really the impression you want to give, "Hey, play this cool monster, but you don't get to use all of its coolness."
    Did the adventure end because the mummy still gave VP? He wasn't supposed to.

Oh, I see, since he's alone, he doesn't count as a minion, have to remember that. I always ended up going around him while the sharkbear and him had it out, I never even thought of that. Two mummies would probably be too much on this map though.

I went through several different monster mixes, but the goblins were either too easy or too hard depending on which ones I stuck in there, so resurrecting zombies seemed about the right challenge level.

So, notes for the next version, a bigger map with more aisles for charging through.
    A couple of the original ideas I had I couldn't do, first it was going to be sneaking out the princess alone, but there's no mechanics for that built in, the enemies always know where you are. Also I couldn't figure out any way to require both characters to make it to the exit, having both have to survive was as close as I could get.

4. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

About the mummy:
    Yeah, killing the mummy ended the adventure immediately, he gave enough points for that. I think there's a noKillPointsForAnyone (or something) flag you could use?

5. Bluemage

Bluemage Hydra

Yeah, but then the enemy doesn't gain any vps if they kill the other characters. Though, it gives me an idea for a different scenario with respawning undead...

6. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

Feedback: i think that this is a great map but needs some testing/tweaking for example i dont think that if one of the player controlled characters dies you lose i suggest that both characters must die before you lose, also the mummy goes towards the player not the VP squares.

7. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

You can upload it the same way you did the scenario file. After uploading it, put your edit cursor where you want it to appear and click the "Full Image" button.

As for taking away the Mummy's kill points, I thought I once saw a tag that was based on player number, but I'm not seeing it now. Oh wait, I see @tuknir suggested it and @Farbs thought it was a good idea, but I don't see anything that says it was implemented.

8. Bluemage

Bluemage Hydra

Princess Sparkles (resized).png
    It worked! Thanks.

9. Bluemage

Bluemage Hydra

BVD, both of those were actually supposed to happen. No princess would allow her precious pedigreed sharkbear to die rescuing her, and the victory points are only for the player. I should probably mark them red, rather than the gold outline, to make that clearer, if I revise this.

10. BlackVoidDeath

Male, 35
    ↑ those two dont match? - in your description "about you" it says that you are Male, 35 and Lucy doesnt sound male and 9 isnt 35?

11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

If you want only 1 mummy, and for it to not give stars, add another mummy to the scenario - just don't give it a spawn point. Now the mummy's technically a minion :)

Jarmo likes this.
  12. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Clever!

13. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Yep, though on the flip side it can only attack once per a round if you do that.

Jarmo and Flaxative like this.
  14. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Another clever fellow!

15. BlackVoidDeath

Last time i tested that it didnt work - but i tested that a month or two (or three) ago so that may be old info :oops:

16. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

MM#5 Battle 2 uses it currently.

17. BlackVoidDeath

Like i said its old info.

18. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Scarponi is actually the one who taught me the trick with his Earthquake at the Zoo map :)

BlackVoidDeath likes this.
  19. Bluemage

Bluemage Hydra

That's a really clever idea, Flaxative, thanks. I think if I redo this map, it'll be pretty extensively, not just to add one mummy. But that may have benefits for a different map I was working on.

Also, BVD, that part in quotes was the intro to the adventure, like if Karen had helped her cousin Lucy send the adventure in to Mauve Manticore.

20. BlackVoidDeath

Goes to show how i only understand dark humour :(