[Single-Player] Defence of Redstone Keep

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Sir Knight, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Since we have a whole "custom" forum now, I suppose I should title with just the relevant details. Here's a map where one player (you) brings a multiplayer party. I guess that's "single-player" then, as opposed to "set party" or something if you couldn't bring your own team. Story:

. . .

You've long heeded the calls to serve and protect your people. Thus is comes as no surprise when a mysterious order sends you to Redstone Keep on the dangerous borderlands, with no instruction save to defend it against reptilian assault. Redstone Keep is a small and solid building, and surely you think that it can hold. You soon realize the Keep is a trap. Nothing whatsoever but a trap . . .

In this single-player map, defend against very different foes while starting from an enclosed space. The enemies come in waves. That is because of the distances involved.

Defence of Redstone Keep.jpg

As before, I could use some help with balance. This map evolves on my last one in attempting to give a real map with real distances to cover. Obviously, you can wreak havoc on some of the foes with a single Whirlwind Enemies, or stop them short with a single Wall Of Stone, but hopefully you have enough . . . distractions . . . to make the fight interesting. Do let me know.

But there's more than that. I encountered a big problem in early testing. You'll see I have a second file titled "Pathfinding Problem" attached: this is basically the same map but with some enemy spawn points in that section toward the top. You know, the one I spent lots of time painting by hand. The issue is that enemies up top can't figure out a path to the Keep's door down on the opposite side of the building: Gary just seems to hang forever.

Thus I have found the limits of Gary's intelligence. Or patience. And I thought it was worth noting that this is replicable in case someone wants to look at the pathfinding.

Anyway, I hope the real version ("Defence of Redstone Keep") is fun.

Attached Files:

Zoorland and Farbs like this.
  2. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Just tried Pathfinding Problem, the wyverns were able to fly in fine from the top. Dijkstra's algorithm worked fine.

And I must say, you have a FREAKING huge monitor :D

3. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

This sounds super fun. I'm still working up my MP party though, so unfortunately won't be able to give this a real go until I've finished the campaign at least. Shouldn't take long now.

4. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Everything was going fine until the wyverns flew through the windows while my warrior was guarding the front gate.

Zoorland and Farbs like this.
  5. Sir Knight

If you have a moment, you might try again and manually cram the number of Young Wyverns up to eight (the number of spawn points I allowed). This way, there's guaranteed to be one appearing in every questionable spot, and you'd be sure it wasn't random chance.

Also, no, my monitor is the size of the screenshot you see. I'm just used to other games where you have to scroll a level editor like crazy because the level can't fit.
    Yessssssssssss.

Also, I realized that if there IS a pathfinding problem, I need to make all the problematic areas Blocked Terrain so a Whirlwind card won't drop anyone in a forbidden zone. But I'm devoid of time right now. So I'll just wait and see if anyone can replicate the problem with eight enemies.

P.S.: I have now CONQUERED THE FORUM. Thanks to your "likes," I have every trophy! And I'm still a "Super" Cerulean Dragon. Darn it, the custom title is in fact preventing me from seeing the regular title.

FAAAAAAARBS!

Edited P.S.: Or is it "MEGADESTRUCTO!"?

Keyser, progammer and Heretiick like this.
  6. Sir Knight

I have now edited the opening post. The basic scenario now has Blocked Terrain in all the places that I think it's problematic to have enemies land. The "Pathfinding Problem" scenario now has maximum Young Wyverns, so at least one problematic spot should be occupied. I played it again, and again it crashed during pathfinding.

So have fun.

Edit: Next question, getting those little black corner-dots to stop appearing in large solid walls. Do you see those big brown rocky outcroppings in the lower right and top right? I couldn't find a proper tile to use that would get rid of the dots at the corners. Is there a solid full-square wall tile in some palette?

7. Farbs

This is great! Having read the thread in advance I was prepared for wyverns to fly in through the windows, but I was so preoccupied fighting the battle at the gate that I was utterly shocked when WYVERNS FLEW IN THROUGH THE WINDOWS! That was a really great moment.

EDIT: And I removed your custom title, as requested.

8. Sir Knight

So awesome. Next question: could you win? Is the number of enemies anywhere close to correct?
    Also awesome, thank you. Though . . . darn it, no new title above Cerulean Dragon. While you were looking at forum admin stuff, did you happen to notice whether there's a higher title at all? Because, if so, it appears that forum members will never see it.

And lastly . . . I can see these solid brown stone sections in an adventure map:

https://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/pengw1n-plays-a-tactical-journey.1006/#post-11201

(Thanks, Pengw1n.) But I'm still stuck putting in stone sections that leave black dots at the corners. Where do I find the right tile?

9. Sir Knight

Whoa whoa dude look at my forum title now.

Pengw1n likes this.
  10. Farbs

Sorry, couldn't help myself :D

Zalminen likes this.
  11. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

I (finally!) found time to revisit this:

BATTLE LOG: Player=Gary,Scenario=Defence of Redstone Keep,Room=phaselock's battle (custom),RoomID=49,Event=PlayAction,Action=Fly,Instigator=Shaffatha,Targets=
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Defence of Redstone Keep,Room=phaselock's battle (custom),RoomID=49,Player=Gary,Actor=Shaffatha,Event=Move,Origin=(33, 2),StartFacing=(-1, 0),Destination=(29, 3),EndFacing=(-1, 0)
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Defence of Redstone Keep,Room=phaselock's battle (custom),RoomID=49,Player=Gary,Actor=Terefen,Event=Move,Origin=(37, 23),StartFacing=(0, -1),Destination=(33, 24),EndFacing=(0, -1)
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Defence of Redstone Keep,Room=phaselock's battle (custom),RoomID=49,Player=Gary,Actor=Penrew,Event=Move,Origin=(36, 3),StartFacing=(0, 1),Destination=(32, 3),EndFacing=(-1, 0)
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Defence of Redstone Keep,Room=phaselock's battle (custom),RoomID=49,Player=Gary,Actor=Terefen,Event=Move,Origin=(37, 26),StartFacing=(-1, 0),Destination=(33, 23),EndFacing=(-1, 0)
    BATTLE WARNING: Scenario=Defence of Redstone Keep,Room=phaselock's battle (custom),RoomID=49,Msg=MoveCommand->instruct: target location (44, 15) is not a valid movement destination.

> clip

BATTLE LOG: Player=Gary,Scenario=Defence of Redstone Keep,Room=phaselock's battle (custom),RoomID=51,Event=PlayAction,Action=Fly,Instigator=Terefen,Targets=
    BATTLE LOG: Scenario=Defence of Redstone Keep,Room=phaselock's battle (custom),RoomID=51,Player=Gary,Actor=Terefen,Event=Move,Origin=(33, 2),StartFacing=(-1, 0),Destination=(31, 6),EndFacing=(0, 1)
    BATTLE WARNING: Scenario=Defence of Redstone Keep,Room=phaselock's battle (custom),RoomID=51,Msg=MoveCommand->instruct: target location (46, 11) is not a valid movement destination.

> clip

Both 'target location (44, 15) and target location (46, 11)' are origin locations for 2 wyverns. They are not destinations...hmm.

12. Sir Knight

13. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

erm, it was tested on the test server.... hmm...more tests !

14. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

well, confirmed that Gabbek's scn loaded fine on test ... I guess its a different bug.

15. Sir Knight

Peculiar. It may be that I placed something incorrectly or have a messed-up file.

In short: good thing I posted a different version that works.

16. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

this map looks great, i rly need improve in my esthetics in my own maps

17. OneMoreNameless

OneMoreNameless Goblin Champion

The huge map honestly feels kinda pointless when you're presumed to still spend most of your time fighting in a small tactical space (ie. the Keep). Waves of enemies are nice, but they've been done in neater ways using obstructive terrain; during my attempt all the lizardmen and wyverns were attacking within 2 rounds anyway. And (I'm guessing) deliberately screwing with the players using not-actually-decorative windows is bad thing.

The battle itself is on the tough end. Both of my stored MP parties failed horribly in a straight fight, though I haven't yet tried re-equipping for this map. Whirlwind aside, a trio of wizards with resistant hides, frost and other ranged damage could probably pull this off.