Serious D&D Type Game

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by zdsdead, Oct 28, 2013.

1. zdsdead

zdsdead Kobold

Im enjoying the game, its very good, but I was wondering if there are any thoughts on making the a more serious d&d type game? Better graphics, maybe 3d animated types. I can only Dream.... :)

2. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Card Hunter's aesthetic is really geared towards recreating those table-top moments filled with snacks, soda, and growing friendships. I think we'd lose a big part of that by turning it into another "serious" RPG (not that there's *anything* wrong with them). I feel doing away with the tongue-in-cheek humor and the "meta"-stylings of the game would really no longer make it Card Hunter :)

3. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I wouldn't mind a more serious story, but I like the graphics the way they are. In fact, my pathetic computer would probably prefer even simpler graphics.

4. zdsdead

zdsdead Kobold

Yes I know that, I was just wondering, if there are any plans on releasing a different game, with better graphics/animations, geared up for the classic version of those table top moments with less humour more darkness/less cartoony

5. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

With the size BM is right now, probably not. I'll never rule anything out but it's certainly not on my horizon as we're very committed to making Card Hunter as awesome as possible (besides, look at the size of that map!) :)

6. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

Maybe after the inevitable [I hope!] expansion, you could think about a spin-off!

Flaxative likes this.
  7. I agree entirely with Megadestructo's initial post here. I find a strange sense of regressive comfort to the garages and basements that once populated my childhood/adolescence. I feel like all the big-studios have been trying to recreate the table-top game by giving you the fantasy as real as possible. This is the first time a video game has tried to recreate the actual feeling of playing a table-top game, and somehow more remarkably, it did it. I wouldn't play a spin off or sequal that didn't include Gary and Melvin or other stand-in humans (though part of my attachment to these characters is the pair of brothers who taught me Warhammer 40K would be impossible to tell apart from them, even down to the older ponytail-bearing brother being the rules lawyer). I like that I can play a social game anti-socially, the irony isn't lost and is in fact squarely featured.

If it was made less cartoony and more dark and dramatic, I think it losses a lot of it's appeal to casual gamers, but maybe I'm wrong. I just know I wouldn't have looked at it twice because high fantasy is so over done. Maybe age and embitter our GMs if you want to add a level of darkness. "In this dungeon, we are seeking the magical scroll of 'Decrease Deductible'" (but honestly the level of escapism that a meta-non-existant-RPG-group provides is for some reason way more than Elfs trying to pretend they are real)

Flaxative likes this.
  8. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

"Tis the quest to reduce our monthly fees!"

9. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

@MtZ: It's not the first if Knights of Pen & Paper was out earlier (not sure)

The art style and game play is a deliberate choice, I think there is a good reason for it. For a classic strategy game it's better if there is less fiddly animation.

It would be cool if the game concept could be expanded to feature actual dungeon crawls. Not sure if that would be fun, though, to just move from tile to tile across the traps until you find the next encounter. Maybe not.

A town map with different shops, some NPCs etc. would also be nice for a future addition.

10. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

I'd say Knights & Pen & Paper feels more like a jrpg in a PnP costume than a boardgame - but yes, the "spoofing" element certainly seems to be there.

11. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Maybe not the first to market, but Card Hunter has been in development for over 3 years.