Scenario: Gnome Sweet Gnome

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Lord Patches, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Lord Patches

Lord Patches War Monkey

[​IMG]

Gnome Sweet Gnome:
    Gnomeward Bound - (Map One)

Before Text:

After enduring a long winter of mining underground for gold, spring has finally come for three little gnome brothers. The brothers load up what gold they have collected into their wagon and can finally go home. As the tired gnomes carry the last of the gold out of the mine they notice their bounty being stolen by monkeys! Stop that grand theft wagon!!!

After Text:

Good job gnomes, you put an end to that monkey business! However, one of the monkeys threw something that hit you and oh my it stinks! Alright no more monkeying around, head home and get some rest.

Tall Beech Trees have long limbs and can only hit targets that are at range, get in there you tree-hugger!
    ----------------------------------
    [​IMG]

Gnome Sweet Gnome:
    Spring Cleaning -
    (Map Two)

Before Text:

The three fatigued little gnome brothers head home to get some well-deserved rest. But wait... what is this? In the gnomes' absence their humble gnome-home has been overrun with dennisons of the forest! Gnome more mister nice guy, time for some good old spring cleaning.

After Text:

Whew.. that was no fun, although spring cleaning never is! Now that the work is done these little gnomes can finally get some rest in their lovely gnome-home. Like Mama-Gnome always said, there's no place like gnome.

Don't be afraid to get your feet wet!
    [​IMG]

Gnome Sweet Gnome:
    Keep Lore Elves -
    (Map Three)

Before Text:

The three exhausted gnomes open the front door to their gnome-home, eager to get their well-deserved rest. Unfortunately, the gnome brothers quickly notice that something is not right. What is that smell? Why it smells like... cookies?! It appears that elves from the nearby stronghold of Keep Lore have commandeered the hollow tree to bake delicious treats! To arms gnomes, to arms! Teach those filthy Keep Lore elves a lesson.

After Text:

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen! Never mess with a gnome when he's in his home or he will turn you into loam... Those Keep Lore elves sure do make a good cookie though and the gnomes couldn't have asked for tastier spoils of war. And like Mama-Gnome always said, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Gnomes are magical creatures and some have even developed the ability to teleport!

Hello Fellow Card Hunters!

I recently decided to give map-making a try and these are my first created maps. I love the gnomes in this game and decided to make a campaign based around playing as gnomes, which I plan to submit to MM after play-testing and listening to all your feedback/comments/concerns/criticisms. If you have time please play-test this and give me your feedback, I am looking to know:

1) Overall do you like it or not
    2) What did you like about the board/battle?
    3) What, if anything, would you change or do you think may make these scenarios more fun to play?
    4) Anything else that you think about it.

As a side note, I designed these scenarios to be fairly easy to beat once you have figured out a certain tactical method, hinted at in their spoilers above. I just ask that if you figure out how to beat these scenarios that anything you say about the specifics be said in hidden spoiler tab as to not ruin the surprise for those who have not found it yet.

I worked really hard on making these scenarios and I hope that you all enjoy it. Happy Hunting!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    Casual42, SirSrsly, adajon and 6 others like this.
  2. Lord Patches

Lord Patches War Monkey

Campaign Updates:
    3/16/16 - Visual additions to the board. New screenshot and campaign uploaded.
    3/20/16 - Added river banks, more rocks, and shadows to the bridge and one tree overhang.
    3/22/16 - Map two added!!! Enjoy part two of this magical campaign, Keep Lore Elves.
    3/26/16 - Modified the before/after flavor texts to add a pinch more flavor.
    4/5/16 - Map three added (and changed to be map one). Old map one became two. Old map two became three. Flavor text for old map one changed to represent its chronological place in the campaign.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  3. Wandere

Wandere Lizardman Priest

Wow. Your map design skills are incredible. There's a nice slice of humble pie for the rest of us. :eek: Such a beautiful map, and I love the cute concept. I think it's difficult - it took me four attempts to win, and even then it was a battle, but I think that you should definitely submit this.

Thoughts:

The Fungus is a little harshly placed at the start, perfectly positioned to launch its AoE halt attacks right from the beginning. I guess dealing with that quickly is part of the challenge, but I feel like the map would be a lot more reliably beatable if there was something to block its turn one line of sight (even just a 1-square rock) perhaps? I'm a little torn on this - I don't want to make the map become easy, but it could be worth looking into.

[​IMG] - To me, this tree looks just a little awkward hanging over the side of the board that much, but that's a subjective detail, and your eye for art is clearly leagues better than mine so feel free to disregard this. :p

They were the only things that came to mind, though. I love the scenario, and the story is great too, so nice work. :)

Lord Patches likes this.
  4. Lord Patches

Lord Patches War Monkey

Hey Wandere, thanks for taking the time to play my map and give me your feedback! I really appreciate it and I am so glad that you enjoyed the design. It is funny that you pointed out that particular tree. I originally had it moved so that about a half tile less was hanging off the board but ended up moving it because characters could step onto a corner of the tree and it looked really weird. In an attempt to minimize blocked terrain i moved the tree over, however, if this is bothering people I can always move the tree back. I personally didn't have any problems nuking down the mushroom but if people are finding him to be too annoying I can always try put him behind a barrel or a rock as you suggest.

How do people usually feel about spoiler postings on custom maps? I am curious to see if you and other people are beating it outright or using the hidden strategy, maybe you could private message me on the forums and let me know. I can post my strategy in a spoiler tag but I don't want to take away the fun from people who can't resist the urge to look.

5. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

I do not like how a few pebbles on the water makes it now open not even difficult.

6. Lord Patches

Lord Patches War Monkey

Hey timeracers! Thanks for your input. Please see below for my response.
    That area is supposed to represent very shallow water, which is actually the trick to beating the map. I originally had it set as difficult terrain, however, I was finding that without the right card draw the players were not able to reach the victory squares in time. I realize that it is not conventional but I believe that it adds a degree of fun and surprise when the player discovers the passage.

If it is not too much trouble could I bother you to please change your message to a spoiler to save the surprise. Thank you again for taking the time to play-test my map and for the feedback!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  7. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

(I have not played this) Very pretty map.
    I do not think having secret terrain is a good idea. Many players, me included, would consider that unfair and annoying. I suggest adding more rocks in the water to make it clearer what terrain it is.

timeracers likes this.
  8. Lord Patches

Lord Patches War Monkey

Glad to hear that you found my map visually appealing. :) I was trying to create a very serene garden gnome atmosphere with this map and I have been so pleased that people are enjoying the way that it all came together.

I originally had more rocks in those two tiles but got feedback from friends that it was giving away the strategy right away. What I will experiment with though is removing some of the other rocks from the river so that the passable tiles stand out a little more. I am finding that most people are quickly finding the passable water by simply checking line-of-sight on their characters/opponents.

9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

If you ever want this to get into mauve manticore, making sure your terrain is clear is pretty important. So yeah if you can cross the river there you need more doodads :)

Pretty map! If you want you could consider giving the river a bank (the thin strips of brown under water doodads).

10. Lord Patches

Lord Patches War Monkey

Thanks Flax, I do plan on submitting this to MM eventually so that is good to know. I will be sure to add more doodads to the water to make this crossing more apparent :) Do you happen to have a screenshot of what the banks look like? I'm not sure exactly what you mean and I am curious to see how it would look.

11. Vlamona

Vlamona Thaumaturge

River banks:
    [​IMG]

12. Lord Patches

Lord Patches War Monkey

Thanks for the screenshot I will throw some banks on tomorrow and see how it looks. I should have the visually modded map posted tomorrow or Monday.

13. Lord Patches

Lord Patches War Monkey

I added some more doodads to the river to make the crossing apparent. Larger rocks were added to make the crossing more visible than just small pebbles alone. I placed river banks as well as shadowing to the bridge and the tree with the overhang. I also added the functionality to have the killed gnomes/monster pieces placed next to the side of the board.

I am currently working on the second map of this campaign and will hopefully get it posted here for you guys after another day or two of polishing and writing the campaign flavor text. Stay tuned!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  14. Lord Patches

Lord Patches War Monkey

Hello everyone!

I have just completed floor 2 of my custom campaign. Please take a look and let me know what you think. I am looking to get feedback before I post to MM. Thank you and enjoy!!!

[​IMG]
    (Edit: See first post for updated screenshot)

Gnome Sweet Gnome:
    Keep Lore Elves -
    (Map Two)

Before Text:

The three exhausted gnomes open the front door to their gnome-home, eager to get their well-deserved rest. What is that smell? Why it smells like... cookies?! It appears that elves from the nearby stronghold of Keep Lore have commandeered the hollow tree to bake delicious treats. To arms gnomes, to arms! Teach those elves a valuable lesson: If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!

After Text:

Those Keep Lore elves sure do make a good cookie and these gnomes couldn't have asked for tastier spoils of war. Don't mess with a gnome when he is in his home or he will turn you into loam... And that, my friend, is the way the cookie crumbles.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    40c_rudy likes this.
  15. Lord Patches

Lord Patches War Monkey

Hello Everyone,

I have finally completed the final map for my campaign, which chronologically will be the first map. Please try it out and post your feedback. Thanks!!

[​IMG]

Gnome Sweet Gnome:
    Gnomeward Bound - (Map One)

Before Text:

After enduring a long winter of mining underground for gold, spring has finally come for three little gnome brothers. The brothers load up what gold they have collected into their wagon and can finally go home. As the tired gnomes carry the last of the gold out of the mine they notice their bounty being stolen by monkeys! Stop that grand theft wagon!!!

After Text:

Good job gnomes, you put an end to that monkey business! However, one of the monkeys threw something that hit you and oh my it stinks! Alright no more monkeying around, head home and get some rest.

Tall Beech Trees have long limbs and can only hit targets that are at range, get in there you tree-hugger!

40c_rudy likes this.
  16. Beldhyr

Beldhyr Kobold

Here's a few critiques:

The diversion to the garden for VPs in the second board seemed a bit gimicky. It doesn't fit the story. And I agree, more doodads in the water; also, it feels like the river crossing should be rough terrain (though that would change the number of turns needed to reach the VP).

On the third board, as soon as I realized the elves were trapped in their rooms, it felt very procedural. Secure the first room, then on to the second, etc., with the teleporter as an option to speed things up. With the elves effectively trapped, it didn't seem very dynamic, and again, doesn't seem to fit what's going on with the story.

In both cases, my comments are more a matter of preference than playability. Overall well done maps, and I enjoyed playing through them.

17. Casual42

Casual42 Orc Soldier

Played the 3 scenarios, and overall liked them :)
    The maps have a lot of atmosphere. I love how you simulate high trees, and the shade effect around map 1 is also very good. But there are times when the type of terrain is unconventional. For example, map 3 uses a lot of stair tiles, but makes them open instead of the usual difficult.