Return to CoC decks/single characters

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Magic Elves, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

I just got through a very satisfying co-op run of RttCoC with @DupleX and another person (who I've sadly forgotten the name of, sorry), managing to defeat Grendel on our second attempt. What makes Return to the Caverns of Chaos so interesting to me is that you have to build your characters to be able to deal with many different kinds of threat, and in co-op this is multiplied greatly as you're not always entirely sure what your partners have brought along. I think that sharing characters and decks made to cope with randomized enemies would be very interesting, so I'm starting this thread! Of course, I'll start it off with the wizard I brought along.

Mr. Mittens
    Level 23 Dwarf Wizard

Mr. Mittens was built to be able to either hinder or greatly damage anything thrown at him, and he performed his job admirably. The staffs I chose were Heartripper and Searing Pain, one for clearing out the low health mobs in great quantities, and the other for dealing large amounts of pinpoint damage to enemies with high card draw. Ring of Appropriation controls just as well in singleplayer as it does in Multiplayer, and the D-623 Disruptor not only provides armor removal, but also Laser Beacons, which are extremely effective both in cramped quarters and against the AI, which does not know to stay away from them. Overheated Force Suit provides defense with Force Field, and Lava Pool is another damaging card that can damage many minions at once and also hit immobile enemies without being in LoS. Superb Stoutness saved our rear ends multiple times, as Duck increases in power along with the opposition that you face, and we faced Laser turrets in close quarters on multiple occasions which provided a very nice source of damage (I believe 80-90 damage was done in one attack at one point). Finally, Bertha's and Electroporter rounded out the deck composition. Mr. Mittens was built purposely unfocused to deal with mutants and other enemies with immunities, and remained useful through the entire adventure.

CT5, Maniafig, degensquared and 2 others like this.
  2. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

I just beat CoC today, so I think this thread deserves a bump.

Haven't tried Return to CoC yet, since I'd like to pick your brains more and be as prepared as I can be.

Found this 1-1-1 succesful Dwarf build on the profile posts (@gohey84).

Currently, I have at least two lvl 24 characters of each race/class combination, so I'm looking for builds that try to make use of all the possible power tokens.

I'd also like to hear your opinions, whether 1-1-1 is the way to go or would other setups also work. Would 2 priests + 1 wizard be safer but slower or would it get overrun with melee monsters?

3. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

As long as you can handle both large amounts of long range monsters and large amounts of close range monsters, you should be fine. 1-1-1 is nice because of how versatile it is, which is important in CoC, but most other builds can certainly work as well, as demonstrated by the time @tiwx and I lost with the final boss at literally 1hp, after getting there with two Dwarf Warriors.

Pawndawan likes this.
  4. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

This is what I have saved for Return, haven't run it in forever, but I think this was fairly good across the board.
    DWr 22.1
    Level 24 Dwarf Warrior

DPr 20.1
    Level 24 Dwarf Priest

EPr 20.3
    Level 24 Elf Priest

Pawndawan likes this.
  5. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Thanks for the replies!

I ended up accidentally beating the whole adventure on my first try. I was just testing out the build, but got so easy opponents / maps throughout (Melvin as the final boss), that I finished all ten levels in one sitting.

My "test run" party was based on @Magic Elves' wizard and @gohey84's priest and warrior:

Urist McBuffer
    Level 24 Dwarf Priest

[SRC] Pin
    Level 24 Dwarf Warrior

Urist McMagician
    Level 24 Dwarf Wizard

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  6. Servoret

Servoret Orc Soldier

Inspired by Pawndawan's example, I also ended up beating ReCoC on my first try, using a modified version of the dwarf 1/1/1 decks here. (It helped that I got Grendel and Dr. Zaius as my end bosses instead of Blizkenripper and the boulder or something.) If I had any Asmod's, I would have used them instead of Palver Pree on the wizard, and if I had Korenchkin's, I'd probably have used it as well.

Dwarf Priest 1
    Level 24 Dwarf Priest

Dwarf Wizard 1
    Level 24 Dwarf Wizard

Dwarf Warrior 1
    Level 22 Dwarf Warrior

Pawndawan likes this.
  7. visak13

visak13 Ogre