[Resolved] Server Issues Aug 2

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Pengw1n, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Hey Gang!

Developers have been alerted, but due to time zones (Blue Manchu is based in Australia, as most of you probably know) it might take some more time before this is resolved. We apologize for the issue and thank you for your continued support and patience.

Bandreus, Maniafig, Stexe and 3 others like this.
  2. slowreflex

slowreflex Goblin Champion

How will this be prevented in the future? It's not very professional to have to rely on people in one timezone when something like this happens.

3. richard edwards

richard edwards Mushroom Warrior

They are all hungover or dead drunk, because they were celebrating a lucrative and sucessful Steam launch.

Smh...

4. Pengw1n

I just want to remind people we're talking about a relatively small indie outfit here. I can't actually speak to the technical side of what's happened - I just wanted to give you a heads-up that we've noticed there's a problem and reached out to those that can fix it for you - and hope it's a minor issue. Thus I can't say it's a matter of just restarting a server (might be why no alarm went off et c). Just hang in there and I can guarantee a resolution - just not an exact timeframe :)

FrigusMacto and Mr. Magnifico like this.
  5. slowreflex

I appreciate that. However, I just started playing the game this morning and now can't get into the game. It's not a very good start. :)

I'm enjoying the game so far, but server stability is pretty crucial.

6. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Your perceptions on that differ from mine.
    Keep in mind, this is a team of PEOPLE.
    Well-intentioned, hard-working people, who do their best to make a fun, easily accessible game.
    But, as people, there are things they can't predict, mistakes they'll make, and limitations they'll have, no matter how dedicated they are.

It's also an incredibly small team, so it's not like they can do much more than they're already doing.

So to answer 'How will this be prevented in the future': Make sure the team is getting enough income to add more team members or resources.
    That's the only way to expect the team to be able to do even more than it is already doing.

Also, this is the only time this has happened in the past 9 months I've been playing, so don't read too much into it :)

That's entirely inappropriate, and offensive in its intentional inaccuracy.

7. slowreflex

Glad to hear it is a rare occassion. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be an ass. Just saying it's good to have a back-up plan for when key people are asleep. Like if it happens that rarely, then maybe give moderators here your phone number. If they don't want to be woken up, then maybe give someone in another time zone remote access priveleges to the server. Just having to wait until someone wakes up on a game this many people play doesn't really fly well. That's all I'm saying. :)

DunDunDun and Xayrn like this.
  8. richard edwards

richard edwards Mushroom Warrior

DunDunDun
    No, they had problems with their authentication servers all weekend.

It is unprofessional if not a sole member of the dev team can be reached or comment on the server issues. It has been nearly 3 hours without a single word.
    At this point, it is safe to say that you are just a fanboy protecting the devs.

I have seen enough big launches to know, as a dev, you need to be ready for this kind of thing.

9. Pengw1n

This is not the place to go into an argument - it's a post to inform the playerbase on what's going on. When there's some more specific information to be had, it will be posted.

I just want to point out to richard edwards those auth issues earlier this weekend seemingly being a steam issue rather than an issue with Card Hunter:

http://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/intermittent-steam-login-problems.7776/

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  10. Reint

Reint Ogre

*sigh* Devs, I appreciate that you want to involve the community even more with Alozyo's Arsenal submissions, but you really should have seen this coming: you don't let Alozyo anywhere near the CH server, because you KNOW he's going to animate the darn thing as another golem. :rolleyes:

CT5, Flaxative, Pawndawan and 4 others like this.
  11. myothername

myothername Kobold

"Unprofessional" implies that they are being paid to do something. If you are a paying customer and feel that you have lost out in some way due to the server being down, I'm sure you can contact support@cardhunter.com to talk about compensation.

If you are just an F2P guy, like me, you should probably be happy for what you get. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

DunDunDun and timeracers like this.
  12. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

Did I miss the point? The web client is also down, isnt it?

13. Pengw1n

He was referring to earlier issues - those were apparently issues with steams auth server, which I wanted to point out. Edited my post to make that less confusing. Sorry! :)

14. Pengw1n

And the server is back among the living!

DunDunDun likes this.
  15. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

No problem. :)

Btw. servers are back online.

Pengw1n likes this.
  16. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Unrelated topic.

I already clarified this was a difference in perception.

I used to be involved in game design, and was speaking solely from what I could recall of personal experience.

Also, the fact that 'people are people' and 'money helps make a game more stable' and 'server crashes of this magnitude are super rare' makes me a 'fanboy'..
    ..is as unfathomable as anything else you've said so far.

I apologize. I wish I could say I would be able to readily adapt for the future, but since I can't tell from the start if someone is trolling or not, I try to engage to try and calm them down.
    I'll try and rework my approach for the future.

Done now, anyway :p

17. slowreflex

Glad to see it's back up, but more importantly, do the devs know what happened and how to prevent it happening again?

18. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

No, we don't know what happened yet but we're looking into it.

DunDunDun likes this.
  19. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

The first problem we see on the server is that ranked and league game matchmaking failed, at around 15:00 GMT/UTC. Did anyone notice any other issues with the server around that time? Lag or any other issues? This is a couple of hours before logins started failing and the server stopped responding entirely.

20. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Apparently inactivity timeouts bugged at the same time matchmaking stopped working: http://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/matchmaking-currently-broken.7786/#post-95097