Rate my card - player card suggestions

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Martin K, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

This is an open thread where everyone can post card ideas and everyone else can rate them.
    When posting new cards, please look up a similar card on the wiki and use the format. Please don't forget to suggest a quality and rarity, as these will make a huge difference on power level.

To keep ratings comparable, I suggest the following categories, 1 to 5 stars each.

Originality: How interesting the idea is.
    Simplicity: Take Escaping Run - a creative card, but easy to understand and use. Original ideas don't need to be complicated.
    Thematic Fit: How well the card fits into the game. For example, it's hard to explain a laser pistol shot in Card Hunter.
    Balance: The most "scientific" category, although this still remains more art then science. It's a good idea to look at similar cards and compare.

Also, to keep the focus of the thread, only post when you have a new card or if you rate one, please.

Let's go!

MagicLance likes this.
  2. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

Name: Pull Free
    Quality: Bronze
    Rarity: Uncommon
    Color Class: Movement
    Play effect 1: Discard the oldest attachment with Encumber. Ignore Encumber effects for this move.
    Range: 2
    Flavor Text: "Why did you carry half the garden into the house?" - Lady Betford

Items: Boots (obviously), but could also be on armor or a martial skill item.

A simple way for warriors (and others) to counter encumber effects without calling for a priest.
    It has the same quality and rarity as a Dash. It's better if you have at least a 2 encumber effect (you move the same but discard the effect).
    If you're not encumbered it's an expensive Walk card...

3. actionjack

actionjack Mushroom Warrior

Why is Range 2 on Pull Free? Or I guess it is movement 2

Useful, but feel too nitched.

4. Sam Jones

Sam Jones Mushroom Warrior

My ratings on Pull Free
    Originality: ***
    Simplicity: ****
    Thematic Fit: *****
    Balance: *****

Name: Scale Armor
    Quality: Bronze (similar to reliable armor)
    Color Class: Armor
    Play Effect 1: Blocks 1/3 (round up) of the damage from any attack. 4+ Keep.
    Flavor Text: "No one could have survived. . .that?"

It's intended to give some balance to the really big attacks, such as obliterating hack (which it would block four points of) or all out attack (which it would nearly cancel). I'll understand if you take points off for the pun.

Flaxative likes this.
  5. actionjack

actionjack Mushroom Warrior

My ratings on Scale Armor
    Simplicity: ***
    Thematic Fit: ****
    Balance: ****

Name: Knee Breaker
    Quality: Silver
    Color Class: Attack
    Bash, Melee
    Encumber 4, Duration 1
    Damage 6 | Range 1
    Flavor Text: "Trying to get away? CRACK! Lets see you try now!"

6. Sam Jones

My ratings on knee breaker
    Originality: ****
    Thematic fit: *****
    Balance: ***

It's a really good idea to give some encumbrance attacks to warriors. The 6 damage seems excessive to me, though it's in line with Nimble Strike or Obliterating Chop, so I could see this on a weapon with a yellow power token. (Can someone point me to the formula that describes gold, silver, bronze, rarity and power tokens?)

I could also see lesser versions with a couple damage and maybe 2 encumbrance with a 2 duration.

Name: Cause Panic
    Spell
    Range 4
    Play Effect 1: Target plays a random card next phase (if the target has no playable cards, then no effect).
    Flavor Text: "What's happening? I must do something!"

MagicLance likes this.
  7. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

My ratings Cause Panic
    Originality: *****
    Simplicity: ** ( i think its over complicated)
    Thematic fit: ****

Name: Reverse Aura
    Quality: Gold
    Play Effect 1: Atacker gets hit by half the dmg rounded down from the last atk (so if its 15 it gets hiteed by 7)
    Flavor Text: ""Dont be a sissy, thats just a flesh wound"

8. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

My ratings on Reverse Aura:
    Originality: *** I like the idea of a scaling Spiked Mail. (I hate the aura armor cards, but that's another topic)
    Simplicity: *** It's straightforward if you word it right.
    Thematic Fit: **** No problem here.
    Balance: *** It's gold compared to Spiked Mail's silver so it should be fine.
    You didn't give an armor rating or a roll, so it's incomplete so far. Since the current auras don't have keep, this one shouldn't either. Without keep, it's a weak one-time effect, so at least it should block a bit of damage and have a good trigger (since it's a gold card) I also added a push to make it a bit more useful. Otherwise it's a glorified Rusty Armor.

The final should look something like this.
    (By the way, if you're on a Mac, you can Cut + Paste text only from the Wiki using Cmd+Opt+Shift+V)

Name: Reverse Aura (how about "Aura of Revenge"?)
    Reaction 1: Armor 3. If this Armor prevents damage from any attack, the attacker takes Piercing damage equal to half the base damage of his attack. Push the target back one square.
    Chance: 66%
    Keep: Yes

Now my suggestion:

Name: Bungled Teleport
    Quality: Black
    Rarity: Common
    Color Class: Handicap
    Play effect 1: Trait. You are teleported 4 squares randomly, then set facing randomly.
    Flavor Text: That was clever tactical repositioning. I swear.

Card Hunter can't have enough crazy handicap cards :)

Turbo164 likes this.
  9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Love Bungled Teleport! Five stars in all categories :)
    EDIT: Upon further consideration, I think the card should be paper quality. So only 4 stars for balance.
    You've inspired me, so here's another handicap...

Name: Painful Purification
    Quality: Paper
    Color Class: Handicap
    Play effect 1: Trait. Destroy all cards attached to you. Take 3 unpreventable psychic damage for each card destroyed this way.
    Flavor Text: "For many in our order, the price of purity is the actual goal." — Flagellant McMonk

10. tuknir

Martin K, actualy my idea was like a one time effect for a priest(like toughness, that counts also as a armor) thats why i didnt put the rest. your idea for it its prety cool, seems bit too powerful, but would maybe promote the use of boiling armor,dissolve armor and acid other than pve.
    I realy like Bungled teleport

Thematic fit: *****

Name: Exchange
    Rarity: unCommon
    Color Class: Spell
    Play effect 1: you and target reveal their hands and add 1 card from each other's hand to their hand. if you have only this card in your hand you cannot play it.
    Flavor Text: its like giving pearls to pigs

11. Sam Jones

Side note, congrats on the module Tuknir. I saw but haven't finished your Mauve Manticore scenario.

I think reverse aura (maybe aura of thorns) should proc on melee only. I think it's way too powerful with keep, but the other changes are good.

I also like bungled teleport. Maybe it could happen once per round, like a slippery you don't control with a duration of three. It reminds me a bit of uncontrolled teleports from Nethack. I think that gets five's all around.

Painful purification is good. It's potentially quite helpful most mostly a problem.

Does Exchange target enemies? Allies? Either?

Name: Unbalancing Attack
    Play Effect 1: Range one, damage one, target discards a random card.
    Flavor Text: "What's the matter? Having trouble concentrating?"

Flaxative likes this.
  12. tuknir

Thanks Sam Jones, am only responsable for the first of the three maps of mauve manticore :)

My idea was target only enemys, but being able to target a allie could be interesting too, maybe a range of 4/5?
    Umbalancing atk seems cool, bit like barge

Simplicity: *****

im unispired atm,so if someone want post a card be my guest

13. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

Maybe this one is for the Rogue class when it appears:

Blinding Dust
    Damage 2, Range 4
    Attach to target (Duration 3)
    When a character with blinding dust attached moves, he moves to a random reachable location.

14. Sam Jones

Blinding Dust is interesting. I could see all sorts of effects (reduce range of all attacks to 1, can only move 1 with any movement). The 3 duration seems pretty dramatic. It's almost as bad as being trapped, and I've heard they kicked out 2 duration halting as overpowered. So I'd say duration 2.

Simplicity: ***
    Thematic Fit: ***

I'll jump on the drawback bandwagon

Name: Paranoia
    Quality: Drawback
    Color Class: Trait
    Play Effect 1: Take 1 unblockable damage for every character in your line of sight at the end of the round. Duration 2.
    Flavor Text: "Now tell me who you really are!"

15. VNSAramaki

VNSAramaki Mushroom Warrior

For Paranoia
    Simplicity: *****

16. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

For Thunderous Bash:
    Originality: **** (new effect, tactically interesting)
    Simplicity: **** (you'll need a good understanding of block cards to get the value, but that's ok)
    Balance: No quality given (c'mon guys, please do the complete work). Strong Bash, essentially this card without the special, is Gold but overrated at that. Thunderous Bash is a more solid Gold.

My card:

Name: Curse of Unlife
    Color: Attack
    Attack Type: Magic Unholy
    Range: 4
    Damage: 0
    Play Effect: Attach to target. Whenever the target is healed, it takes unholy damage equal to the healing instead. This damage is not blocked by armor. Duration 2.

This is especially nasty if you consider that you can cast healing on enemies. It also punishes team heals.

17. VNSAramaki

Originality: *****
    Simplicity: *** You don't need to add damage since it's a de-buff. Need some reword on description too.
    Balance: *** Make Greater Heal a real monster.

18. tuknir

Armorbusting Bash is interesting

Simplicity: **
    Thematic Fit: ****

Name: Unstable Mind
    Color Class: Priest Attack/attachement
    Play Effect 1: Range 5, Every time target discard a card it takes 3 dmg for each card discarded. Duration 3 (would go well with mind worm)
    Flavor Text: "Power is nothing without the will to use it"

19. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

For Unstable Mind:
    Originality: **** - The effect is tactically interesting.
    Simplicity: **** - The text is simple, although it's again one of those cards where you need a deeper understanding of the game on how to use it.
    Thematic Fit: *** - It's very "meta". It doesn't create an in-story image but I'm not sure how that can be improved.
    Balance: **** - First, to be clear, this only refers to cards discarded unplayed, right?
    Usually it's possible to play all cards in some way, so you can avoid the damage. However, it could screw players who overdo card-drawing (possibly a good thing). It's also great in SP against those damn dogs and mercenaries that draw insane amounts of cards through the servants. And would potentially make those fights trivial.

Name: Fighting Spirit
    Color Class: Boost
    Play Effect 1: Trait. Attach this card to yourself. After drawing cards at the start of your turn, if you have no attack cards on your hand, draw a card. Duration 5.
    Flavor Text: "Eat steel, foul creature!"

Note that a warrior lvl 8 and up has 36 cards, of which 18 are from the weapon. So a simple deck has 50% attacks. The chance not to draw one in three cards is 1/8 or 12.5% (Block cards etc. on weapons decrease that chance, traits make it better).
    A comparable card is the gold Accelerated Thought, although that one gives you a card at 100%. Fighting Spirit has a much lower chance of giving a bonus card, but arguably when you need it, so I consider it Bronze. It's definitely at least Bronze, because it effectively decreases deck size too.
    I'd put this card on martial skills, but I could see it on weapons or helmets too.

20. VNSAramaki

Thematic Fit: N/A

The main problem with this card is currently, all card attachments trigger before the drawing phase. I don't know how hard would it be to make an exception, but still it's out of current game mechanic.