[Question] Does your warrior spend his power tokens on weapons first?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Tobold, Jun 23, 2013.

?

How many of his 8 power tokens did your level 14-18 warrior spend on weapons?

1. 6

43.8%
  2. 5

18.8%
  3. 4

31.3%
  4. 3

6.3%
  5. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tobold

Tobold Goblin Champion

I've been looking at MP builds and noticed something: Every warrior I've seen used 6 of his 8 power tokens to have three 2-power-token weapons. And I'm doing the same in the campaign, where from level 14 to 18 you have 8 power tokens available: For the warrior I put those power tokens into weapons first, the rest of the gear is considered later, and has to live with 2 power tokens for 6 slots.

I was wondering if most people are doing so, and whether that was a sign of some sort of imbalance: It appears that those 2 power tokens per weapon are giving a much larger boost to overall character power than the power tokens for the rest of the equipment.

2. Doctor Blue

Doctor Blue Orc Soldier

I agree. I just made a thread not too long ago about there not being enough power tokens, and it really shows with the warrior. That, or weapons just cost too many of the tokens.

3. Forduc

Forduc Orc Soldier

I've ended up using Nifty Halberd in many occasions.

But guess you'll need really good level 6 weapon for that. Weak Chop is actually decent against Block heavy teams.

4. funny

funny Mushroom Warrior

I have the same on my campaign warrior (sometimes), opens up some choices on other slots.
    You also have to consider that weapons are the warriors main slot with 3 of them, similar to arcane/divine item for the other classes.

5. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

I occasionally like to deck a warrior out with weapons containing Fiery Stab and Combustible. There are quite a few of these, and they tend to be relatively cheap to equip. This leaves my warrior vulnerable to fire, sure, but stacking multiple copies of the same drawback gives a great deck shortening effect with diminishing drawbacks, since most of the time when I draw Combustible I replace an existing copy.

6. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I haven't gotten that far in the campaign yet, but my MP party uses two tokens for all weapons on all classes.

The reason seems to be that power tokens are set solely based on the item's level: non-weapons need a minor token for levels 9-17 and a major for level 18; weapons (including staves and divine weapons) need minor/blank for level 7-8, minor/minor for 9-12, major/minor for 13-17, and major/major for level 18. The only exception I've seen is the Pirate's Rapier, level 13 Epic minor/minor (and possibly a bug).

And weapons don't have much variety for what they do, so high level ones are more likely to be strictly better than their low level equivalents (aside from the token requirements). Whereas non-weapons do lots of different things, so low level ones are more likely to remain useful at high levels, plus they don't require tokens until a later level than weapons.

7. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

I use 4. The other weapon slot I fill with either a Nifty Halberd or The Strongarm. I don't play much multiplayer though, maybe it would change if I did.
    If that progression is correct then I'd recommend reporting that item as a bug if you haven't already done so.

8. penda

penda Mushroom Warrior

I want
    Wow you are definitely lucky to get two of best non-token warrior weapons.

But yes, all my warriors' weapon slots are filled first. This is mainly due to limited options. It's either take 6 weak attack cards and boost my shield? helm? armor? You get much more mileage out of weapons than the other warrior slots.

9. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

Specific to this discussion on power tokens, I have to assume your talking about using Blazing Shortsword an epic, and Blistering Spear a rare. It seems the other warrior items are all multi-token.

I've wanted to try a build like that as I don't think Combustible would be an issue on most campaign levels, however I think it's a lot harder to get Fiery Stab than you may realize. At least that's been my experience. It's a rare card, so specific to warrior items, it occurs on 2 rare, 4 epic, and 1 legendary item. Thus, any players access to it is highly dependent on their luck in finding these specific higher rarity items (or finding them in the rare shop and having sufficient gold). I have a pretty sizable collection, after lots of playing and money spending, and have one of these weapons at the moment. While I'm sure part of that is simply due to my luck of the draw ( I have 3+ of some epics and rares at this point), it's also largely because it only exists on higher rarity items.

I'm not trying to derail the conversation. However I do think it's a good place to point out the impacts of the limited rarity shop and item availability when it comes up. Builds highly dependent on higher rarity items are unlikely to be tested (or even attempted) at this point. Due to the rarity involved, and the mechanics involved with obtaining such items, it's not a possibility for most players. Since there is no direct card or "vendor" access in the game, players have to either get very lucky, or obtain a mathematically impressive amount of cards in order to have the items sets necessary to try these builds.

penda likes this.
  10. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

Ha, I have both as those items as well, but I tend to build my warriors to use all 6 tokens on weapons too. The Strongarm will likely make it into a build eventually, but I don't see much use for the halberd. I always assumed this was why Priest/Warrior combos were popular in MP, as damage buffs let you get more mileage out of your weak attack cards. It takes some very good/specific items to get your warrior's deck to around 50% solid attacks.

11. azelea

azelea Mushroom Warrior

I tend to prefer to use dwarven warriors for the extra HP and having ferocity twice from racial skill (thank you epic apprentice ferocity, no power token even!). However, a dwarven warrior also starts with the movement disadvantage, so I usually want power tokens in helmet, boots to add 2 rushing aura's and 2 sprints. I prefer to have armor that can be moved with, too, so that costs another power token. The last blue power token shifts, sometimes it goes into the third weapon, sometimes into the martial skill, sometimes shield. Also depends a bit on the other characters.

The double gold weapons are simply amazing. I haven't found a double blue weapon that is as amazing, so sometimes I used them, but more for nimble strikes and dancing cuts, in other words adding the movements to the attacks.

12. azelea

azelea Mushroom Warrior

As to whether it's overpowered: I don't think so. I think it simply makes sense from both a design and player's perspective: Your warriors are there to dish out damage. They don't get targeted as much because they have higher health and aren't dangerous as long as you can keep them at a distance. I mean, what else can a warrior gain from power tokens elsewhere? Only self-protection and movement.

I guess it'd be nice if warriors could have a more protective role too, with more defensive blocks and cause fumble like abilities, or maybe taunting to attract attacks.

But defense is quite hard to play. There are a few different powerful attacks and you can only pick one to protect against or just a little bit against all of them.

13. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

Generally I invest 4-5 talents into warrior weapons, but... that's a conscious choice, not a requirement of the class. Before the reset I made great use of a warrior with nothing invested into weapons, instead focusing on damage reduction, defense, and board control. Used him as a proper tank with weak attacks sussing out blocks and armor while he took hits instead of my actual damage dealers. In MP people would catch on after a couple rounds, but by then it was often too late. In the campaign it's rather simple to manipulate the npcs into attacking who you want, and I ran through the entire Beta campaign with this party without much trouble.