Question: Can you add like an easy mode for PvE?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by jubenei, Mar 10, 2015.

1. jubenei

jubenei Mushroom Warrior

I have played this game for a while and i liked it very much so i put a lot of money in it. But after the release of the first addon i got very disappointed because the game turned up to be so horrible difficult in the last 3 adventures. Well i said, i don't mind, i'll will farm some maps with firestorm thats kind of fun, got this really nice items with lots of firestorm on them, make a nice dwarfen party and so on... then there was the big patch and everything changed, firestorm got nerved you know...

And now its like i don't want to play this game ever again and i regret putting money in it, i wouldn't recommend to anyone any more. I mean whats the point in playing a game where you farm a lot of items and basicly you never get better from it because even if you level up monster get bigger and bigger and keep getting harder and harder or there is just so many of them.... There is just no progress you get a big collection but i doesn't help you in any way cause you can't use high level items in low level adventures cause your level is restricted and you don't have any tokens... So there is no way of easy farming and relaxed gameplay after you beat the game as kind of nice reward. Basicly the game is like a puzzle game where every adventure has it combination of monsters with very special skills and abilities where you have to find the perfect combination of items to counter their abilities and solve the puzzle. But this is getting so boring after you have done a map like 5 or 10 times and besides its so annoying to swap gear for every single map cause again you can't use tokens in low level adventures. You know like the level 2 wizzard tower. Swap for penatrating gear cause monsters have a big armor. Then the geomancers or citrine deomon portal swap for elfes or fast movement cause the monsters will kite you all the time and so on. Besides some of the bigger monsters and bosses seem to be horribly unfair by not beeing restricted in the amount of cards they can use the amount of damage they can deal and the amount of hit point they can have. Fight this dragon they said who deals like 10 damage per hit which is penetrating and your legendary armor doesn't help you at all, and he does that 6 times in a row with 70 hit point you know and all you can do is place a warrior with hundrets of parries to counter him cause he got this magic armor as well which counter magic... for example. So if you have a mage you need boild armor somehow which in an other way restirct you agian otherwise you won't do that much damge to him and so on.

So my question is can you not add something like an easy mode or so, where you can use your high level party even in low adventures. I mean you could reduce the reward for that or so. But once you beat a map on normal you can play it on easy mode just the opposite of the quests, if you want something challenging do some quests if you want something relaxing do easy mode. That would be great i would love that. Or give firestorm back its range so i can do that agian lol otherwise there is not much point in playing this game any more.

2. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Must say, this is the first time I've seen this request from someone who's already played through the campaign! For what it's worth, firestorm still works quite nicely on a lot of the levels and can definitely qualify as an "easy mode." (Off the top of my head the two easiest that come to mind are Shieldhaven Prison and Forest of Souls, but pretty much anything level 6 and below will go down to fs quite easily.)

3. jubenei

jubenei Mushroom Warrior

Yeah but its not the same any more now you have to concentrate way more and i want to play other adventures as well from time to time. But its so hard to remember what kind of monsters where there, how many of them, what skills did they have, whats their weakness and then again so annoying to look up in your collection for all the items you need to equip on all characters and on the next adventure you start all over again and again. There is just no setup that works on mosts of the adventures cause you got better, leveled up and got stronger gear cause you are restricted with the tokens. Or at least add some kind of library where you can see how many maps you have to play in an adventure, what kind of monsters are there, what skills do they have once you beat it.

4. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

But you can save your parties - and now you can save 100 different parties - so if you don't want to have to build a party each time for each adventure, just save one any time you play an adventure and then next time you go back all you have to do is load it.

I take it you haven't been to the wiki? Scroll to near the bottom of the page under "Card Hunter Universe." (Just fyi in advance, a few are out of date, but the vast majority are accurate.)

5. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

I've never understood how can people enjoy the easy modes on computer games. If it's so easy to do what pleasure will you get from it?

6. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

It's about how easy is easy and how hard is hard. I certainly don't want a complete walkover. On the other hand, though I've beaten the 18's, they're such annoying PITAs that I've never enjoyed them. It wouldn't bother me a bit if they were all deleted, even though I bought them. They are all treasure hunts which are supposed to be harder, but I really hope EttSC doesn't go that route. I think having SP be challenging, but not ridiculous, is the better fit. Leave the hardcore stuff to MP.
    I'm a bit confused by the last bout of changes in which some adventures got harder, some easier, and some simply narrowed the possible solutions. I suspect the first two were in response to success/failure rates of new players, but I can't think of a good reason for the last.

Drakkan likes this.
  7. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

The level 18 adventures need to be easier.

8. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Just wait a couple weeks for SP co-op to arrive (already available on the test server). Then other players can show you their tricks for beating adventures easily.

Sir Veza likes this.
  9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

The upcoming expansion adventures are not intended to be the high-difficulty puzzles that the AotA level 18 adventures were. When we open testing, we want to make sure that the adventures aren't so easy as to become uninteresting, but not nearly as hard as Trolly Tyrant etc.

Jarmo, Sir Veza, Accent and 2 others like this.
  10. jubenei

jubenei Mushroom Warrior

Yeah Troll Tyrant was bit to much. But the game has so many hard stuff like the 1 hp quests it also needs something easy like a survival mode or onslaught mode or so. Just something to relax where you can take your high level gear and have some fun.

11. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

It's clear that the expansion levels are more difficult than the main campaign. Perhaps Blue Manchu assumed that these levels are played only after the main campaign?

I also find the lvl 18 adventures rather frustrating way too often. I wonder why many of the main campaign levels have been nerfed down, but not the lvl 18? I especially liked the original Stafford’s Treasury; The new version of it is way too easy and tame. (I liked the originals race against time)

12. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

As you say, Stafford’s 3rd map is easier. The kobolds are more difficult. Strench is easier. The Astral Shrines are so different they'd have been better off to recolor the monster art, plop two more icons on the map, keep the old versions, and call the new ones expansions.

13. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

If you really want to be able to just sit and mindlessly slaughter - you can build your own custom maps - 100 zombies slowly shuffling at you or whatever fits your fancy.

14. jubenei

jubenei Mushroom Warrior

Well i found against the cockroaches for now which is kind of nice with mass frenzy lol

15. jubenei

jubenei Mushroom Warrior

Well this custom map stuff really worked out quiet well just fighting hundrets of zombies but if you are not carefull then can really kill you. Its really nice to create what you like never saw that, but you don't get any reward for that thats a bit of a pitty. But one question do you have to be a club member for custom games or not?

16. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Anyone can play custom games.

17. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Glad you're having fun!

What would make you think that? (I'm genuinely curious.)

18. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

When the board editor was first added during beta, it was only available to club members. But they made it available to everyone before beta ended.

Sir Veza likes this.
  19. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

What's that talk about custom games? After you finish Campaign, I don't think anyone would play a map for no reward.. ?

When I replay a SP map I do it for GOLD and occasional items ONLY .. I wonder, is there anyone who (constantly) plays a SP map for some other reason?

@LordFeleran - I for example dont mind easy maps (lvl 2-5) -> I finish them under 20 minutes and get ~200 gold .. what's strange there? What do you play for?
    I didnt have any problems with firestorming maps in round 1 before FS nerf (I doubt anyone did) .. I actually enjoyed that far more than now .. I just want to finish it asap, get that small reward and not lose too much time ..

Its good to hear that.
    I also dont play lvl 18, as they are far too much effort for virtually no reward ... they are a complete miss .. they are worth finishing once .. and even quests are too much pain but ok I can understand quests..
    I think its a bit of a wasted work, making maps which will be played only few times by each player.. time spent programming those maps could be better used imho ...

What do other players think -> will map be uninteresting if it's too easy?
    For example - I don't even play Dungeon of the Swamp King any more .. it takes 15-20minutes to finish it, no items drop there, you only get few gold coins .. and you get same amount of gold by playing The Wizard's Workshop in under 2 minutes.

Flax - any map will be "interesting" if there is a proper reward .. most players here wouldn't (re)play 60% of maps at all if there were no Loot Fairy ..

20. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I'm not doing the level design. I'm just telling you about intention. I'm sure there'll be plenty of dialogue once testing opens and all voices will be heard.

Drakkan and Sir Veza like this.