Please don't go idle to "save a spot" folks.

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Megadestructo, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

That's just not super cool. Make sure to check you're actively playing (instead of just forgetting that it's open) for now please. :)

We'll get these queue issues sorted out in the meantime!

Pengw1n likes this.
  2. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

I did my bit - even though I look forward to when we'll be able to idle in chat again, will be interesting to see how long the queue will be once I go back in in about an hour. I'll just view it as good karma! ;)

3. kerzain

kerzain Kobold

I'm not sure what you're expecting. It's a turn-based webgame, and I can't think of any other type of video game where people would be more prone to go afk between moves/turns/adventures other than perhaps a PBEM game or something. This game screams "You don't need a gaming machine for me, so play me in another tab off and on all day while at work, tee hee!"

I'm not advocating that people just sit idle for hours at a stretch, but given the type of game, the lack of time limits per turn etc, I just think it's unrealistic to expect the playerbase at large to police themselves in this manner -- especially if the alternative is logging out for fifteen minutes only to come back to a queue. While players might be able to do more to help alleviate some of the problems, I'm hoping the long term solution won't be our responsibility.

4. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Yes, I never said it was your responsibility. I'm asking, in the interest of allowing people to play while we sort these issues out, is to not save your spot while you go off to work for 8 hours. So my expectation is that some people may not do it and others may be a bit more diligent about making sure they didn't accidentally leave the window open for the entire day. :)

5. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

It won't. The devs are just steamrolled, and hadn't planned for full servers. Considering we're talking a five man-ish, team it's not that crazy that they're not prepared with paying members queing priority, idle booting et c. We'll see this solved in a timely fashion - probably with bigger servers than actual code.

Still, Mega isn't wrong to ask people to "play nice" - if they're not playing that is...

6. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Calling all of us man-ish is kind of rude, Pengw1n!

7. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

8. Angry Penguin

Angry Penguin Mushroom Warrior

I'm totally guilty of this and apologize. Not trying to save a place I just often don't close the window. I'll be more diligent from now on so that I'm not gumming up the works!

Pengw1n likes this.
  9. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

No worries. We just kicked over 100 idle connections with that maintenance, btw...

Angry Penguin likes this.
  10. Angry Penguin

11. Logan Hawkthorne

Logan Hawkthorne Mushroom Warrior

why not implement something that disconnects automatically anyone who's been idle for 10 minutes or so? just for the time being.

12. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

That'd take away time from improving our servers at the moment. It's an idea we've contemplated but it's lower on the list than making things more robust.

13. Angry Penguin

And most of us will probably be more cognisant of it now that they asked as all to make sure we log out when done. Most of the players I've met so far seem pretty nice.

14. owangolama

owangolama Kobold

per your request, i'll definitely try to do this, though it's something that should be fixed. many of us often need to stop mid-battle to deal with something, in which case we only have two choices:
    a) lose the battle by quitting;
    b) leave it open.
    in general, i choose to leave it open, not out of thoughtlessness but rather necessity.

in any case, thanks for letting us know that it matters and we'll try, but see if you can fix that soonish. it's certainly a basic feature that should be supplied in a gaming environment.

kudos on the awesome game!

15. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Oh, we all understand. I'm not making a hard-and-fast rule or anything :)