Players Advice

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by direndai, Feb 20, 2015.

1. direndai

direndai Kobold

Hi :)

Im direndai and have been playing CH for some months now. Im sharing some of the impressions and things I learned, so newer players might benefit from my game time. My girlfriend surely doesn't :p

The game Is balanced.
    That, in truth, is a lie. No game is completely balanced. Some teams will work better on some maps, some on others. Multiplayer maps are changing every month, so your team might fare worse (or better) all of a sudden. As this is essentially a trading card game, the goal is to widen your collection, experiment with what you have and adapt to the situation at hand. The developers are active in tweaking the fine points of the game, so in the end CardHunter is as balanced as anything can be.
    Rating is Not important.

In the end you will win about half of the games and lose the other half. This will stay the same through the game, no matter the ELO range you are playing in. The closer you get to the 1500s, the more will you be affected by the current meta(what works best, builds that veteran players find strongest), the more you will have to adapt. Or not, in which case you might lose rating and fall back into the bracket you are comfortable with. So use the build you enjoy playing with and accept that sooner or later you will face the meta and fall back in rating. Win/lose ratio will still be around 50/50. Even if you accept the meta and adapt, you will lose half of the games (against other meta builds), only it might not be as much fun, fighting the same decks all the time. So high rating might be soothing for your ego, but it wont give you any other advantages. At least none that I am aware of.
    As a point of interest, I created a new account and went straight to multiplayer to see how far I can get only with the starter deck. With only one minor change (Bejeweled Shortsword, a common that everyone can get straight away) I ended up in 1200s. Which brings me to my next point,
    You Don't need to pay to play.
    This is one of the rare games where not paying doesnt take away the fun of the game. Some of the best players never paid a cent. It takes longer to get some items, sure, but you can still be competitive and enjoy. Rarity of the items is related to how hard to get they are, and only secondly to how good they are. And some really good items are common and uncommon, like the Bejeweled Shortsword I mentioned.
    I want to mention the fact that I Did spend money on Cardhunter, and will do so again, Im sure. The fact that you dont have to is a strong reason why you should IMO! :p
    Frustration is a part of the game.
    As is with every game that uses Random Number Generators. Your best shield may not trigger, even when the odds are greatly in your favour. Your draw might be lousy, or even damaging to you, while the opponent might draw perfect cards. He might even have a counter build to yours, making you as helpless as a newborn kobold. You cannot do anything about it. It is a part of the game. What you can do is respect yourself and the opponent by losing honorably. Can't win? Resign. Lost? Thank the victor for the game and accept that he is also not responsible for the RNG. And that he has the right to make any build he wants, even if you do not approve of it personally. Good community is built on your behaviour, not on someone elses. And Im sure we all want to be surrounded by positive energy where we can enjoy more!

I hope someone else will share his views and experience, you have at least one interested reader ^^
    gg to all

Pawndawan, CT5, Vholes and 7 others like this.
  2. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

I'm going to have to disagree with your first two points. Many teams are fundamentally better than others, regardless of map rotation. The best teams do shift, but there are established teams that continuously dominate regardless of rotation.

Additionally, achieving a 50%+ winrate is definitely achievable and expected after a while. Eventually your elo will get to a point where you mostly face players with lower ELO, which will make your winrate increase. Also, the new guild seasons can potentially reward high elo players since they win more and their guilds are more likely to perform well.

direndai and BlackSabbath like this.
  3. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I was wondering if anyone else did this. :) I ran the unmodified version and usually stayed in the 950-1050 range, but I didn't really play it very long. It might make for an interesting tournament.

4. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

I also tried that.. reached 1000 with Vein Drinkers (bought it with given pizza) in and then I made 3x Warriors with stuff I had (2-3x Bejeleweled, 3x stuff from Vein drinkers warrior and some C/U secret tech) and got to 1180 in 26 matches total.
    Winrate 23/26 - 88%, all commons and uncommons + maybe 6-7 rares (dependable, perilous, 2x skipping boots..), no epics and Legendaries..
    Could do it with no rares at all (did not get any Spiked Tlah. in shops), and with better winrate for sure .. 2 losses were my underestimating of opponents (one had buffed wizard with Searing Pain and drew all fireballs + flash of pain ;) ).
    I wonder how far can I get with it..
    Biggest two things I miss from my regular amount is mass reliable mail and better boots (although I use a lot of movement on helmets)

If new players read this -> SUMMARY
    - it's much more relaxed on 1200 rating .. on 1600+ you have to think a lot ;)
    - Legendary/Epic items help you build various decks .. its true you cant make some great decks without them, but you CAN make other good decks with U/C/R only.. in time, you'll get enough items to play other stuff

EDIT: reached 1302 rating in 40 games (85% winrate). With no Epics/Legendaries.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    direndai and Sir Veza like this.
  5. The game is very balanced now, not like the old times when winds of war, nimble strike, imp. nimbus, etc were all op cards with no way to counter them, only using the same cards :p

The bad thing is that the game is still binary, some decks/cards are powerfull vs a certain type of deck/cards but a waste vs other/decks cards.

If you wanna make a team to get a good chances to win vs a deck with 15 volcanoes, your team will suck vs 3 warriors with 15 parries all in the VP (for example). So we need more items, more cards and more combinations to face all kind of decks with at least some chance to win.

6. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

how was that nerfed? was it duration two or somthing else?

7. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

A lot of cards now deal "unpreventable damage," bypassing nimbus.

8. BlackVoidDeath

What do you mean by that - i dont think any damage attacks can bypass nimbus

9. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

Demonic Revenge and Demonic Feedback. People were making silly infinite draw builds before those cards were nerfed.

10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Demonic Power, etc.

11. BlackVoidDeath

yES BUT THOSE TWO ARE SELF DAMAGING AND CANNOT TARGET OTHERS

12. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

1. Calm down.
    2. We're explaining now nimbus was nerfed. It was nerfed by making self-damaging cards like those ignore it. That's the accurate story, no buts.

Mr. Magnifico and Fifjunior7 like this.
  13. BlackVoidDeath

Ok thanks so imp nimbus is still op, and funny how you thought that i was angry :p i accidentally turned Caps Lock on, why is it even a thing? :confused:

14. They added purging burst in the last expansion, indirectly that's a minor nerf to imp. nimbus.

15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I did not think you were angry. I often think you are too excited. :)

BlackVoidDeath likes this.
  16. BlackVoidDeath

Again that is not damage, now thinking of purging cards, the item Purging Strike - does it do damage and take out the nimbus at the same time?

17. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Dunno, haven't used it against nimbus. However, having additional means of removal by fighters as well as priests significantly reduces its power, so it's an indirect nerf.

18. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yes, Purging Strike deals damage at the same time as it removes nimbus.

19. BlackVoidDeath

Great!, then i guess a good item vs nimbus is Purging Mace

20. karadoc

karadoc Hydra