Peasant Tournament - Round 1 Pairings & Match Times

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

First Round Matches Complete: 8/8
    Round complete!

Hi everyone! After some randomization and a lot of time-zone-checking, I have the pairings and match times for the first round of the peasant tournament.

Players: You have given me your availabilities and registered your builds. The following pairings are final, and the match times as well, unless either A) I have misunderstood something or B) there is some kind of emergency. Show up on the server ahead of your match time (5 minutes early is fine) to confirm your presence. Remember that showing up late by more than 5 minutes will result in penalties. Missing your match entirely counts as a forfeit. All these rules are in the original tournament thread, which you can continue to reference throughout the duration of the event.

Spectators: You will be able to spectate the games at the specified match times on the Card Hunter PvP server. Remember to be respectful when spectating. If you can't watch the matches live, I will be posting video footage of them to YouTube. Links for that will be made available as footage becomes available.

Discussion in this thread: You guys can chat in here in anticipation of the matches if you'd like. Any questions or concerns about the following details, however, should be raised via PM (start a conversation with me)—I don't want them getting lost in the discussion.

Pairings & Match Times

I am listing these in chronological order, and labeling them with both their UTC times and their PST times (that's my timezone). Be sure to double check at what time these matches are occurring in your time zone! PM me if you have any questions about this, or if my math is wrong.

1. Alfonze vs. PIZZA
    UTC: 6 a.m. on Friday the 20th​
    PST: 10 p.m. on Thursday the 19th​
    RESULTS: 0-0 (Neither player showed up; double forfeit.)
    > VIDEO <

2. thedoughster vs. ItsEtai
    UTC: 2 p.m. on Friday the 20th​
    PST: 6 a.m. on Friday the 20th​
    RESULTS: 0-2 (ItsEtai wins)
    > VIDEO <

3. Mosalla vs. Scared Little Girl
    UTC: 3 p.m. on Friday the 20th​
    PST: 7 a.m. on Friday the 20th​
    RESULTS: 0-2 (Mosalla didn't show.)
    > VIDEO <

4. CT5 vs. ElShafto
    UTC: 1 a.m. on Saturday the 21st​
    PST: 5 p.m. on Friday the 20th​
    RESULTS: 2-1 (CT5 wins)
    > VIDEO <

5. Stormyknight vs. Tragus
    UTC: 2 a.m. on Saturday the 21st​
    PST: 6 p.m. on Friday the 20th​
    RESULTS: 2-0 (Tragus didn't make it due to technical difficulties.)

6. ArcadianRook vs. Red Mage
    UTC: 6 p.m. on Saturday the 21st​
    PST: 10 a.m. on Saturday the 21st​
    RESULTS: 2-0 (ArcadianRook wins)
    > VIDEO <

7. TheShadowTitan vs. Dave
    UTC: 1 a.m. on Sunday the 22nd​
    PST: 5 p.m. on Saturday the 21st​
    RESULTS: 2-1 (TheShadowTitan wins)
    > VIDEO <

8. tuknir vs. Stexe
    UTC: 2 a.m. on Sunday the 22nd​
    PST: 6 p.m. on Saturday the 21st​
    RESULTS: 0-2 (Stexe wins)
    > VIDEO <

Please check this thread periodically. I will try to alert everyone if there're any changes, but I need all tournament participants to stay on the ball and keep an eye on these things.

One last thing...

All participants should download the attached zip file. It contains 10 .scn files—Card Hunter scenarios—which we will be using for our matches. When it's time to fight, the first player listed for a given match will need to "Create Custom Game" from the PvP lobby, "Load..." a given scenario, and invite his or her opponent to play. Clarification on this process can occur right before the match starts in case players are hazy. In the meantime, download the zip file. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Good thing I'm not in a dire need of pizza because I'm predicting I will lose every single match in this tournament :)

I already lost one practice match against TheShadowTitan which really showed me the major flaw in my deck. And to make matters worse, it's a flaw that I doubt the sideboard will fix. The match was quite close though and came ultimately down to the last draw, but bad luck happens to both players so that's not a valid excuse. The main point is that I didn't feel like I was in control or dominating at any point of the match. I was basically on defence mode the whole time (thanks WWE!), which I really hate because in my experience it's the player who is pushing the pace and has that "be first" attitude that usually wins.

Hopefully Mosalla will also bring some crappy untested deck like mine so I'll have a better chance :) But whatever happens, this will definitely be a learning experience.

3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Interesting thoughts, SLG. I look forward to seeing your matches, though. You never know what the match-up (or map!) might bring to your party.

4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I have updated the first post in this thread with the results of the first match (Alfonze vs. PIZZA 0-0), as well as video footage of this exciting game of Card Hunter.

A note to any who wish not to follow in the footsteps of our first no-shows: if you have any question at all about your match time, contact me via PM. If you do not contact me, I am expecting you on the server at the assigned time. Forfeits suck. Don't sabotage your chance at pizza. Show up to your match!

6. thedoughster

thedoughster Kobold

Video works well, unfortunate they didn't show, Ill be on early for my round counting down from now only another 4hours.. lol

7. I doubt this will be the last time people don't show up. I was involved with similar tournaments in another game, and I've seen this same thing happen many many times. It's really frustrating. Problem with these type of sign-ups is that you get random casual (newly joined) forums users to sign-up because it's free and there is really no downside for not showing up.

We fixed this problem (at least partially) by having a minimum required post count before you can enter (I think it was 20). This way newly joined members, who very likely don't show up for one reason or another (statistical fact), are left out until they learn the ropes and show more interest in becoming a part of the community. Sure some people will whine that "it's not fair to leave newbies out of the tournaments!" but it's not like having a minimum post count or 10-20 is some kind of a huge obstacle. If a person doesn't bother to post 10-20 times, he or she probably won't bother showing up when the fight starts. And we also have to respect the work of the organizer(s) who has to spend a lot of time setting this up.

Here's one more suggestion. I suggest that anyone who fails to show up during their first match is out of the tournament and a replacement will be taken right there and then from the chat lobby. This way the match is guaranteed to happen.

8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

PIZZA is definitely not a new player, I don't know about Alfonze... I was surprised that neither showed, though I can't say I was surprised that [someone] bailed.

That seems fair... but that's not the rule I established, and I feel weird about changing that right now. I'm open to feedback on that.

9. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

That's a pretty neat idea!

Working from Australia means that I occasionally set up calls with people in other parts of the world, and my experience with that is that people are terrible, really just terrible, at figuring out time zone differences. There are some useful online meeting planner tools for arranging a multiple timezone appointment, but I'm not sure what you'd use for something like this. It might be worth just asking everyone where they live (down to the particular city or state) and telling them explicitly what time and day they are playing. It's a lot more work for the organiser unfortunately, but people really are very bad at this.

thedoughster likes this.
  10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

First post updated with results from match #2 (thedoughster vs. ItsEtai 0-2), as well as footage.

11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Mosalla didn't show for the match vs. SLG, and forfeited. The first post of the thread has been updated with the result (Scared Little Girl wins 2-0) and a useless video.

12. Seems like Alfonze registered on the forums the day sign-ups started and his first and only post have been the one where he signs up to the tournament. He might have a solid reason for not being able to make it, but like I said earlier, new forum users are very unreliable when compared to veterans. This is why I strongly feel that minimum post account (or forum sign-up date for lurkers) rule should be added to the next Peasant tournament.

I personally think that you as an organizer should be allowed to make changes if needed in order to improve the event. This kind of flexibility is important when organizing these kinds of things because it's impossible to predict all that will happen. Using replacements when no-shows happen is 100% logical and only a crazy person would not see it. It would be different if the contestants had worked for this for months, but since all they did was post a couple of words and send you a deck, I don't see how they would be entitled to have a second chance and screw the whole tournament in the process. Participants must take responsibility for their own actions. If they do not show up when they are supposed to, they should lose all tournament rights, and their spot should be given to an alternate. If they think it's unfair, maybe next time they will show up.

On that other forum I talked about where they also had tournaments, we had this cool bbcode for countdown. The way it worked was that we put [countdown] code that had the time when the tournament started, and every time you refreshed the page, it showed the countdown as a static number (days, hours, minutes, seconds). I'm not sure who develops this forum software or if something like that was possible to do, but we found the bbcode really helpful. One other thing we used was this link that takes you to a page that shows the event time automatically in your timezone (I guess it uses the IP address or something). Both of these are much better than simply telling the time in UTC because many people don't really understand what it means and it's easy to miscalculate.

There are many countdown apps or whatever on the internet but since we cannot add html in our posts (for obvious reasons) Flaxative unfortunately cannot embed those in the first post under each matchup. That bbcode or just a simple link would probably be the best option.

13. THE WAITING GAME
    Mosalla vs. Scared Little Girl

My opponent was online about 30 minutes before the match was supposed to start. He then decided to play mind games with me and suddenly left the chat. The epic battle against the clock had begun..

Match 1 - Winner Scared Little Girl
    I decided to play the waiting game. It was a slow and boring strategy but in the end I managed to get the win.

Match 2 - Winner Scared Little Girl
    I didn't use my sideboard and simply decided to use the same exact strategy as I did during the first match, which was to wait. Halfway through the waiting, sitting started to feel a bit uncomfortable, but I fixed it by sitting on a soft pillow. This way I managed to wait until the end of the match and collect my flawless victory.

Seriously though, we were planning on using a replacement since auto-win is lame and was interested to see how my deck would perform. The problem was of course that simply fighting someone random with a random peasant deck, could potentially put me at a big disadvantage if that person knew what kind of deck I'm using. The way to make it fair would have been if the substitute player used the same deck and sideboard Mosalla had registered. After some general confusion and a couple of people starting to build the deck that Mosalla had registered, there was a kind of general consensus that we should just follow the event rules, forget about the substitute player, and simply give me a free win. Not the epic outcome I was looking for but I think Flaxative made the right call under the circumstances.

After the waiting game, I wanted to test the deck and maybe kill something. Dave kindly agreed to fight a Peasant exhibition match. My deck performed pretty well and I managed to win the match quite easily, but it wasn't an epic win because my deck was a really good counter for what Dave brought, and if I understood correctly, it was something he hadn't even tested before. Also, I didn't really think about that map that much and just took the first one "Create Casual Game" gives you, which probably gave me a slight advantage. Still a win is a win, and hopefully because of that exhibition match win, my free tournament win could be seen as a bit deserved :)

Phaselock likes this.
  14. Mosalla

Mosalla Orc Soldier

Arghhh, what? Have you changed my match times? Or I read it wrong the first time it had been post? I thought my match was scheduled in 5 hours to come, not gone already. Very strange.

My apologies to people waiting for the game and opponent.

15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Farbs, can we do this? Pretty sure I could code it in if no one on your team with the expertise has the time to implement it.

Nope, your match time has been the same since I posted the pairings. In the future, please double-check the match times and make sure that you have the time right in your time zone. You can confer with me via PM if it is unclear.

SLG, nice report. I laughed. Sorry that you didn't get a real fight, but I'm sure in the second round you will.

Alfonze was also good about staying in touch with me throughout the registration period, so I don't know. Also, one thing that I thought was cool was seeing long-time players registering forum accounts for the first time because of the tournament; I figure, BM wants more people playing the game and more people interacting in the community and thought I was doing them a service. Hopefully the absences won't hurt BM ... but I hope that as the tournament continues, people will become more consistent. The fight for the pizza must be epic, and actually fought.

16. Player1

Player1 Mushroom Warrior

No need to reinvent the wheel imo. Something like THIS should be enough. (assuming it works).

17. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

erm...don't want to digress this thread but I was under the assumption that 'this' tournament thingy was going to be a feature in-game ? Sorta like an icon in MP lobby where everyone could click on, wait for the queue to fill/just shoutout in chat and play against each other ? Relying on forums for organizing tournaments isn't really efficient in the long run, imo.

18. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Of course it's not, but I can't program icons into the PvP lobby. This is as much support as BM has been able to give us at this time, but I think more features are coming in the future.

Farbs likes this.
  19. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

ah, gotcha ! :)

20. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Just went thru the video and have a suggestion for chat. Assign tournament participants with a different chat color so its not just a black wall of text. In this case, I couldn't quite decipher flax and the contestants chat msgs. In future, if someone joins a custom tourney and want it filled quick, diff color chat msgs will help.