Mind Flayers

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by Jim, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Jim

Jim Mushroom Warrior

So then guys how did you deal with these pesky wee buggers?

So that hew Mage armour helps, unless you either don't draw it or you get that attachment that means you hold no cards the turn before you draw it, grrrrrrr.

I'm guessing Arrogant Armour works too, anyone know where they drop? :)

I like the new monsters they push new builds, but crikey do they take some getting used to.

2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Parry!

3. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Mind FLENSERS ;)

Pengw1n, Inkfingers and Flaxative like this.
  4. ClanCrusher

ClanCrusher Hydra

Hate this set of levels so damn much. Had to dedicate a specific party slot to build for it and had to draw in a few items from the new set. The ideal party here considering the sheer amount of attachments for me was two priests and one warrior. Naturally, Arrogant Armor is a must have, even if you can only get one of them in a deck, as they will make these matches far far easier provided they don't get lucky with Perplexing Rays.

As for the equipment itself, my two priests are practically duplicates of each other so I'll explain one. Untouchable Plate is obvious for the Divine Armor Slot but any Epic level item with 2x Arrogant Armor will do fine. Since almost all of the attacks enemies use against you are ranged, I have both equipped with Magnetic Shield, though Bullseye Shield works just as well. Obviously, Stuck Arrow can't stick to you if you happen to have Arrogant Armor as well.

The Divine Items are all dedicated to purging enemy attachment cards. From the new set, ideal items include Purging Charm and Spellstripper Relic, two and one respectively. Finally, the weapon of choice for me was a pair of Glinting Eye Hammers on each of them due to the Purge card and the Healing Rays. Advanced Clensing will give you a third Healing Rays and another purge. In the end, this gives Priests 10 potential cards to remove enemy effects and Arrogant Armor as well, and leaves a blue power token open for the racial slot. Really, any race will do, though some might consider Dwarves have the edge since they have the unique card Shrug It Off to further help remove bad effects while Humans can get Forward Thinking to buff their hand size.

Lastly, and the reason why my third slot is dedicated to a warrior, is the brutal 12 Damage ranged attack that decreases damage by 3 for each card in your hand in the second and third stages. Best solution here? Officer's Harness. Ideally, you'd like something such as Captain Cedric's Helm and Argo's Boots to help keep more cards in your hand and avoid taking the full damage. The best strategy I've found is to simply wait for the Mind Flensers to take their turns, keeping cards in your hand and waiting until all have acted before unleashing your attacks on them. Just be mindful of Weak Parry.

The third slot is certainly flexible, and having a Wizard for the final stage will probably make it far easier on your party, but I've found that two purge-heavy priests are pretty much essential. I'd recommend starting from there and hashing out a party with the third character as your primary damage dealer.

5. Jim

Jim Mushroom Warrior

Flensers, yes, yes :)

Cheers for listing some items there ClanCrusher, time to go hunting......

6. esthkol

esthkol Lizardman Priest

Arrogant Armor and Purging Burst got me through, with my standard build: Dwarf Warrior (Impaling Stab and All Out Attack) - Human Priest (heavy on the heals and purges) - Human Wizard (can't remember which element--probably fire, but possibly acid or cold). I also dealt with the mind blasts by waiting out the flensers each round and then unleashing hell. The warrior is the primary damage dealer, but the wizard dishes out enough to get the job done when the warrior goes down.

For the Arrogant Armors, I got lucky enough to snag 2 Bern's Untouchable Mail out of my 15 total legendaries; Armor Of Negation was nice; Mail Of The Novice is more readily available.

The wizard basically served as bait in the last level -- I traded it & my warrior for the flensers, then carefully walked my priest around and waited (healing as needed) until I had drawn the few decent attack cards (Fiery Stab from my beloved St. Olf's Fiery Pike) I had on it.

7. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

If you have a good Firestorm party, just burn everything down. You'll kill everything by round 2 so Mind Flenser fatal attachments don't matter.

On the test server I used a 1+1+1 party, just used the best stuff I had, don't remember purging anything. A strong offence is a good defence against them. That is dead which can eternal lie around in chunks.

8. e-stab

e-stab Goblin Champion

I've beaten the Elder Mind levels just today and my top priorities were purge, purge and purge. The new Purging Burst helps a lot. Basically I wiped my chars clean of enemy effects every 1-2 turns. I used two priests and a wizard (Smoke Bomb - not worth it in these levels), but a warrior or even another priest would probably be more effective instead of the wizard.

As long as you keep your cards as long as possible and purge often enough, enemy hits aren't so bad. No need to worry about the "deadly attachment" card when you have enough purges. I finished the Elder Mind with only one priest at 4 hit points though. His mirror block failed - lucky me. :)

Flaxative likes this.