Miffed at restart battle cost

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Janus, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Janus

Janus Kobold

So to begin with, I love the game. I fully understand the need to generate revenue and create 'pinch' opportunities where players such as myself decide to reach in their wallet and buy something.

That being said, I just lost the final battle of 'Highway Robbery', where I was prompted to spend 25 gold to retry the battle or restart the entire adventure (consisting of 4 battles!). I didn't have 25 gold, so I opted out, wasting an hour of progress. Since you don't appear to gain XP between battles in a 'module' (which is exceedingly lame), I basically got squat for the time investment.

While from a product manager's point of view this is probably a great way to force players to pry open their wallets, I expect that you'll lose a ton of players this way. There are a lots of better options for you in which to monetize players, such as making chests that produce loot of the player's level (I'm level 3) rather than stuff at level 1-15 which is mostly useless to me right now.

It's a great game though. Conceptually brilliant and nicely produced... bravo!

2. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Do you even have the option to buy gold at that point? Besides to be harshly realistic not bringing enough gold is your fault not them wringing you for money since gold is the in game currency. If this is your first loss and you feel they should tell you before hand to keep 25 gold handy that is a whole other matter and can be brought up in a pre-existing thread about tutorials.

3. RoflCat

RoflCat Goblin Champion

>I got squat

What about the loots from the 3 battles before?

Also, you should've lost 3 times (unless on challenge mode) before the game even force you to do that.

If you couldn't change your strategy enough to win in that 3 attempts, I think instead of going "wahhh game want my money" you should be going "well crap my gear isn't enough, maybe I should visit the shop"

Because unlike many games, Card Hunter isn't one where you can spam resurrection until you win.

skip_intro likes this.
  4. DukeMyers

DukeMyers Orc Soldier

This is a thread I suspect should have been started within the beta section. Questions and concerns are better there. These threads are supposed to be more fun and distraction while waiting for a key or game release. :D

5. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Depends on if his intention is to get dev feedback on his concern or rile up other people. As it is now i would say its placed correctly based on his basic intentions and wording.

6. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

As RoflCat said, you've had a couple of tries on the same map with a chance to re-quip every time you fail. I bounced off a lot of modules - and still do -but I just chalk it down to experience and go somewhere else to get XP / Loot. At low level it helps to grind the lvl 1 and 2 modules to get loot, either treasure to sell or gear to equip.

It might also help to post your party if you want some pointers.

7. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Ah, I didn't want to reply first, because I thought other people might have good angles on it. (Also, this belongs in beta feedback; because it's beta feedback, just like the last time someone gave feedback on retry cost in the beta.) I see folks have done so. So lemme just add . . .

As you can tell by the post I linked (note username), "The '25 gold per retry' is my main use of gold." When I've brought this up, I've been met by a number of people who literally never pay for retries, and the general attitude is "You lost, start over. Besides, you got some loot, so you're still better off." So, coming from that attitude, I'm surprised to find somebody else who uses resurrection! Janus, whoever you are, come back and post more!

But aside from that, certainly don't forget "You got some loot, so you're still better off." Not to mention that if you survived to the end of Highway Robbery (nasty module, that), you've developed your strategic skills and are smarter now than you were before. The programmers here aren't trying to make an easy game: they're trying for "classic difficulty," and if you check out the beta forums then you'll see tons of people talking about how badly they've been beaten by one challenge or another . . . and the resultant development of strategy.

On the other hand, the programmers are trying to make a fast game: see this post and the next about how the battles are supposed to be so short that you get quick rewards from victories (which you got) and minimal punishment from loss (which you also got). Sounds like you'll beat Highway Robbery soon enough; and when you do, you'll have multiple run-throughs of loot.

8. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

I'm in the 'never paid for retries' camp as well. There are usually better uses for money anyway.

Everytime I hit an adventure I can't beat with the given 3 attempts, I just skip that adventure for now and try the next one. Or play the previous ones to get XP and better equipment before trying again.

9. brolatypus

brolatypus Kobold

i 2nd that, ive played quite a few "pay to win" games and this doesnt have that "we want all of your money" feel. 25 gold really isnt hard to maintain and even if you got pizza to turn into gold, the $ cost to get pizza is far more reasonable than any game ive played. most games charge $10 for 50 x currency and that usally only transfers to 100 x in-game currency.

10. brolatypus

brolatypus Kobold

its $10 usd for 400 slices here, i play another browser game called call of roma and its $10usd for 100 coins there, also here the lowest opt is $1 for 20 unlike roma where the lowest is $10 for 100. i think the pay system is more than fair.

11. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Moved to appropriate forum.

Lance and brolatypus like this.
  12. LightPhoenix

LightPhoenix Orc Soldier

It looks like I'm going to go against the grain and agree that it can be very frustrating and feel pretty unrewarding to go through an entire adventure only to lose on the last battle (my current bug is Jewel of AC). That said, aside from everything else, I don't think the issue here is the restart cost at all (which I don't use). To me, the problem is actually a confluence of issues specifically at lower levels:

1) Starting out, you simply don't have enough items. The lack of items means a lack of flexibility; you can't really adjust your equipment effectively for an adventure, let alone per battle. It does look like there has been an attempt to address this with the more prolific shops.

2) As a side-effect of the first point, you can't really afford to sell items for gold at lower levels. You need the items/flexibility a lot more than you need the gold. This makes the shop less useful (unless, of course, you buy gold).

3) Adding to the first point, there are a limited number of slots available for low level characters, further decreasing flexibility. A broad approach is difficult to pull off at best; you're almost forced to specialize at lower levels.

4) At this stage of the game, higher concept game play hasn't really been introduced, let alone had time to sink in. Class roles, interplay between classes, inter-battle equipment swapping... these are all things that don't really come up until later.

5) Moreover, at this stage of the game I don't think the style and design of that game are overly apparent. The game is meant to be challenging, you're supposed to lose battles and experiment and grind battles.

Personally, I think all of these points can be seen reflected in posts such as this. I don't think that the intention was to rile people up; I think it was a frustrated outburst coupled with a hazy understanding of what the game is.

13. brolatypus

brolatypus Kobold

at early levels the enemies are much simpler as well tho, most enemies use 1 or 2 attacks and only one or two moves a round.

14. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Also at lower levels with less slots you churn through your deck a lot quicker, so you never have to wait too long for that good card to come into your hand.

brolatypus likes this.