Make Crappy Epic/Legendary items worth more

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by kogi, Jun 6, 2014.

1. kogi

kogi Ogre

The longer I play, the more I stare at my growing collection of crappy epic/legendaries.

If would be great if I could get more gold than the piddly 20gp/100gp
    If would be awesome of I could swap them for pizza or even Epic chests

tks
    K

2. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

lol.
    More gold, yes. 20 gold is indeed nothing, and its tough to part with a legendary for 100, be it crappy or not.

I kinda wish for a trade 3 against 1 unindentified model, though.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    Sazanami likes this.
  3. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Yeah if I could trade 3 Antioch's Figurines for something new...

I'm not entirely sure on the numbers, but it needs to be a way that people can't farm the level 1-6 items and trade them for the level 15-18 items. Maybe a level constraint that takes the average levels and distributes accordingly.

4. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

not the exact same legendary, just 3 legendary items. You could add some sort of pawn shop / second-hand-dealer on item island. The game could use more vague figures like Randimar enriching the world.

5. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Now to come up with a crafty name for such a store...

6. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

As long as it's not run by someone from the damned Randimar's family...

7. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Unfortunately, any game mechanism which let's you convert items into other items would subvert and devalue the loot chase heart of the game. This is because it is always possible to get more items, it's just a question of the time you put into it. This would unhealthily encourage and motivate people to grind single player heretofore unseen amounts for items, any items, in the knowledge that the mass of them will eventually translate into the best-in-class items they want much faster than is otherwise possible.

I'm sorry, but there it is. Any change to the current systems which makes it easier to acquire specific items will move the basic nature of the game away from its current incarnation. I know many would welcome this but is it really what Blue Manchu wish to create? I think current evidence points to no, but of course it's their decision to make, which even might well change over time, who knows.

Some are of the opinion that all should have access to the most desired items to have equal footing in MP or just to satisfy their collecting instinct but that is a different game from what Card Hunter has been. Blizzard and their players learned this to their chagrin with Diablo 3. Easily getting the best items, it turns out, is just no fun for anyone interested in playing a loot chase game. No chase, no game.

I'm not saying these things to discourage discussion or to belittle the call for such systems (as this is e.g. valuable feedback and food for thought for the devs). I'm just trying to point out the far-reaching consequences of such a change.

What can change the nature of a loot-chasing man? Item crafting/trading can.

wavy and Stexe like this.
  8. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I agree that in general a lot of things people ask for to make CH easier appear to be something that would make the game more fun, but would actually just cheapen the game and thus it's long term appeal.

9. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

I have 7 Sharp Shell. Why can't I trade in 4 of them for a chance at getting something else ? Rather than a measly 80g.

If I put in all of the time playing the campaign long enough to get 3-5 random items, shouldn't I be able to trade them for another random item?

I agree that being able to trade for a specific item would ruin the game experience.

kogi likes this.
  10. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Exactly why i share my half-baked thoughts. I too am bothered by the low gold value of legendaries and epics. You can buy them for 2500, selling one for 250 would have a rounder feel to it. I'm not set on the 3 vs 1 random model, nor convinced by the reach and the nature of the consequences you conjure here for its introduction, unless someone automates his grinding. And the mention of the "best-in-class-items" touches upon the deeper problem, the few overpowered items that distort the game as soon as they appear.

11. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Unfortunately, even trading them for a random item would, given enough time, translate into finally getting the specific items you want faster than would otherwise be possible. Of course it would be much slower than e.g. crafting but it would have an effect. How large it would be would depend on the exchange ratio.

The trade program might actually well be a desirable thing to reduce the frustration with multiple copies of rare items if the exchange rate was suitable to not upend the game design (whatever value that would be). One problem with that would unfortunately be all of us who have sold many, many high-rarity duplicates already, we'd feel a bit shafted. Still, maybe future benefit would overshadow past regrets in that case. And you could never progress if you always let stuff like that prevent it.

12. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Nice Planescape: Torment reference.

And I agree. It would be better for the game in general if weaker cards were buffed and OP cards were nerfed. Changing items should be a last resort and changing drop / picking what you get undermines the whole system.

13. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

What if it only let you trade X items for a copy of an item you already own? So that, for instance, I can get my 2nd Trembling Staff a bit faster by trading in a dozen rares*, but I can't complete my collection or get that incredible legendary I've been wanting.

*I'm thinking it would still be random, so any item of a given rarity that you already own.

14. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

*Trades in all of my legendaries except Vibrant Pain to get more Vibrant Pain*

Seems like a good idea.

Stexe likes this.
  15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

LOL there could be limits. Anyway proceed :p

16. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Vakaz suggested using multiple items of a given rarity to craft another item of the same rarity. I think 'Craft' and 'Trade' are roughly equal in terms of this discussion.
    This method might be further limited by only trading for items +/- 1 Level. So if it requires 6 legendaries to trade for a legendary item of equal or lower level, it might take 8 or 9 to trade for one a level higher.
    Some players get more "lucky" drops than others, and this might alleviate some frustration for those who don't. Given the drop rates for legendaries and epics it would require quite a lot of playing to gather enough items for a swap (depending upon the number set). Being able to overcome a sustained run of lousy RNG rolls by means of expending great effort seems fair to me. Considering the work (play) involved and the time consumed, I don't think it would unbalance the game. I'm not in favor of "buying whatever you want", but I wouldn't place this method in that category.

Edit: I've sold quite a few legendaries, and dozens (possibly hundreds) of epics, but if this is implemented and improves the game I wouldn't feel shafted. I was enlisted for 21 years. It takes a lot to make me feel shafted these days.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    doog37 likes this.
  17. Stexe

I think it fundamentally changes the nature of the game from hunting to crafting.

I would like the ability to reset Randimar's for a cost. It still follows the random distribution but would allow people to re-roll Randimar instead of simply buying chests (which are nearly worthless to people overall).

Anything that bypasses the RNG aspect changes the game too heavily.

18. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

If I have to farm 6 (or 12, or 20) items for the swap, it still feels like hunting to me. It does give an option to get around the RNG if you put in enough effort, so I think I see where you're coming from.
    I agree. I hope there is a gold option for the reset. We still need good gold dumps.
    Rationale: I buy club membership because it supports the game, but also because it does nothing for me if I don't put in the effort. Buying pizza chests feels kind of like cheating because I'd be using something (money) from outside the game to produce instant results I didn't earn.
    I really hope there are others who don't feel this way, because I'd like BM to sell a lot of stuff.

19. Stexe

But how much gold at most would you pay to reset? It seems like a really valuable thing... I'd probably pay 2k at most to reset it in gold and maybe 50 pizza?

20. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

Edit: don't know what happened with the quote, but I guess it's understandable anyway :p