[Legendary Build] Rain of Fire

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Jade303, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

This is the first entry of my new Legendary Builds series, where I will use the power of the Internet (Especially the Card Hunter Wiki!) to devise the most powerful, ridiculous builds possible. The premise of these builds is that you have access to every single item in the game without restriction, in the current level 18 format. Now, the goal here is not actually to use exclusively Legendary Items. You certainly have options to use only legendary items, but it just so happens that there are un/common and rare items which are probably better choices than the best Legendaries.

With that preamble out of the way, I shall begin with the best Firestorm deck I can imagine:

Magmos Ashcloak (Level 18 Dwarf Pyromaniac Wizard)

Staff:
    [​IMG][​IMG]Wym's Lavastaff
    [​IMG][​IMG]Wym's Lavastaff
    Can we say 4 Firestorms and 2 Volcanoes each? Yes we can. There are no other staffs for me.

Arcane Item:
    ////Azgul's Orb = Glob of Flame
    ////Brin's Storm Locket = Forgetfullness
    Chartwell's Ring = Short Perplexing Ray (I'll take 4!)
    You have to pick 4 items of your choosing. See below.

Robes:
    Firehide Robes (Resistant Hide/Firestorm/Firestorm)
    /OR/ [​IMG]Tempest Robes (Whirlwind/Whirlwind Enemies)
    /OR/ [​IMG]Robes Of White Wylla (2x Arcane Shell/ Dangerous Maneuver)

Boots:
    [​IMG]Sticky Slippers (Immovable/Immovable/Wild Run)
    /OR/[​IMG]Ulalia's Boots/[​IMG]Xander's Boots (For 1 Arcane Aura)

Arcane Skill:
    [​IMG]Focused Pyromancy (Firestarter x3)
    Dwarf Skill:
    [​IMG]Untrained Stoutness (Immovable/Immovable/Trip)

=26 Attacks
    18 Firestorm
    4 Volcano
    4 Short Perplexing Ray/*

=2 Other
    1 Resistant Hide
    1 Wild Run

=8 Traits
    4 Immovable
    3 Firestarter
    1 Trip

18/28 cards are Firestorm. Add in Volcanoes and Short Rays, and you have one crazy
    pyro.
    Now, you have other options for this build. Forgetfullness will hamper enemy priests and wizards, while Glob of Flame might be helpful for sniping an enemy but most of the time probably not.

You may also wish to pick one Arcane Item purely for utility cards like Counterspell, Improved TK, Perplexing Ray, Smoke Bomb, Boiling Armor, Dissolve Armor, Cone Of Cold, or Wall Of Stone.

You could also give up two Firestorms to get Whirlwind/Whirlwind Enemies from Tempest Robes.

If you need another token Novice Pyromancy isn't bad.

If you *have* to give your wizard extra firepower, you can get some Arcane Aura and Arcane Shell, but use at your own risk.

Do I even need to explain why I picked Dwarf? No, I didn't think so.
    Moving on...

Pyro Support Priest (AKA Level 18 Dwarf Priest, St. Bloken)

Divine Weapon:
    [​IMG][​IMG]Knife Of St. Blenko (2 Inspiring Presence!)
    [​IMG][​IMG]Knife Of St. Blenko (2 Inspiring Presence)

Divine Item:
    Skull Of Savage Iljin (Inspiring Presence/Savage Curse X2)
    Skull Of Savage Iljin (Inspiring Presence/Savage Curse X2)
    [​IMG]Jygpin's Healing Ring (Inspiring Presence/Team Heal/Light Heal)

Divine Armor:
    [​IMG]St. Sebanna's Armor (Reliable Mail/Team Heal/Team Heal)
    ////[​IMG]Mail Of St. Oxivia (Arrogant Armor/Arrogant Armor/ Savage Curse)

Shield:
    Cold Shield(Icy Block/Hit the Deck/Dropped Guard)

Boots:
    [​IMG]Sticky Slippers(Immovable/Immovable/Wild Run)

Divine Skill:
    [​IMG]Untrained Stoutness (Immovable/Immovable/Trip)
    Dwarf Skill:
    Untrained Piety (Altruism/Altruism/Defensiveness)

=8 Attacks (Mostly useless)
    4 Penetrating Lunge
    4 Spear Of Darkness

=15 Support Magic
    7 Inspiring Presence
    3 Team Heal
    4 Savage Curse
    1 Light Heal

=4 Other
    1 Reliable Mail
    1 Icy Block
    1 Hit The Deck
    1 Wild Run

=9 Traits
    4 Immovable
    2 Altruism
    1 Trip
    1 Dropped Guard
    1 Defensiveness

*EDIT* Inspiring presence at the time of writing was Heal 3 and draw a card, period. This makes the deck very good at the time. Now that it has been nerfed, this deck is much less effective.
    15/27 cards are good cards. In this setup, Inspiring Presence is king. This card is so very good for firestorming, and it's worth using two of St. Blenko's Knives. Godtouched Spear has 3 utility cards but it costs more and only has 1 Inspiring Presence. Skull of Savage Iljin is perfect for this build, supplying our wizard with Savage Curses. Jygpin's Healing Ring is also an amazing item, and if you would like to fit in one more go for it (mind the tokens!). You could also swap one divine item out for Ring of Majestic Healing (3X Team Heal) if you don't like that 1 Light Heal and you are willing to lose 1 Inspiring Presence.
    You can use Streaked Shield instead of Cold Shield, but that Fright will prevent you from using Savage Curse and attacks. On the other hand, Dropped Guard will cost you that Reliable Mail sometimes. I'm not sure which is better yet. You can also use Novice Piety but I wouldn't recommend it. It's up to you.

Untrained Stoutness and Sticky Slippers are the keys here. They help keep you from being blown around and give you more of the cards you need. Most of the time you are simply not moving anyways. It's good to hang onto a Wild Run sometimes, just in case.
    Vira's Shoes are a decent, tokenless alternative, and don't be afraid to use Raging Battler too. I would not consider using them because of the consistency loss and vulnerability to Whirlwinds.

The primary problem for this build is enemies with armor cards, especially Resistant Hide. That is why you want as much power as possible (Via Savage Curse or even Arcane Aura) and cards that can discard enemy armor.
    Whirlwind is a problem too, but with 2-4(!) copies of Immovable running around, it won't be too big
    of a problem.

Now, these are just 2 characters. The third character can be another similar/identical draw/heal/buff priest, or a control/armor destroying wizard. I think another priest would be the most effective choice against most decks, particularly control wizards.
    If anyone can actually build these two-three decks (And there are probably only... 1 or 2 people that could) I would love to see how they perform. Then again, who has 4 Knife of St. Blenko, Iljin Skulls, etc, etc. But hey, if someone can build a real deck that's even close to this one, that would be cool.

Flaxative likes this.
  2. PaladinGP

PaladinGP #1 in Spring PvP Season

Super looking characters. Firestorm could become a real powerhouse when people start to get stacks of legendaries. If people moan that Trembling Staff and Staff of the Inferno are too powerful costing no tokens, it doesn't address the problem of the legendary combo the other way that you have found! (Legendary & epic tokenless arcane items with lots of firestorm, enabling 2xWym's lavastaff).

It will be an interesting problem if ever anyone gets enough legendaries to build this. A reason to keep packing the turn 1 whirlwinds if this deck ever starts to become dominant :)

3. Snorre Liljegren

Snorre Liljegren Mushroom Warrior

I think http://wiki.cardhuntria.com/wiki/Items/Mail_of_St._Oxivia is a better option for priest, that is what i use. Not sure about Knife Of St. Blenko either, yes inspiring presence is good, but quite often i have found myself saved by the cards on Healing Hand Mace, the damage is great, it can kill annoying armor and have 3 team heals which is alwasys nice for a firestorm deck :) and its easyer to get :) I really had high thoughts about inspiring presence, but after having a deck with lots of them, i must admit its not that great.. TOO often you find yourself close to enemys because of ww and what not..

4. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Please remember to use the Edit button so you can avoid double posting.
    That Mail Of St. Oxivia is a pretty neat choice, I had thought about it but with the two Skulls you have 4 savage curse already and I believed the two team heals on St. Sebanna's Armor were a better choice and could feed Altruism. Also, when it comes to Dropped Guard, there are only 3 cards in this deck, that we don't need, that can just be discarded. The armor isn't even really important, it's more of a dead card unless both priests have it or something goes wrong and the formation gets broken up. If that happens it would be nice to have a Mighty Bludgeon maybe but in most games it either won't happen or the game is lost anyways. Most games will be spent camping in the corner of the map.
    The thing about team heal is, these priests usually don't need any armor because the whole party is healed and damaged equally. However, this is also why I mention Streaked Shield, which I would have to playtest to decide which is better/worse.
    I also considered Healing Hand Mace, Godtouched Mace, and Godtouched Spear. I was tempted by all of them but in the end I was taken in by the sheer draw power of The Knife.
    Remember, the wizard has up to a 64% chance of drawing Firestorm on any given turn, and two identical priests have a 25% chance each of drawing Inspiring Presence on any given turn. Two priests with the same setup therein have a high chance of drawing at least one Inspiring Presence and the wizard should draw at least one Firestorm on a given turn. Inspiring Presence is raw draw power, and that is what this deck needs IMO.

I think it is important to restate that this is a theoretical build using items that currently no one, and certainly I, do not have.

If I did have, one Knife and two Healing Hand Mace and one Godtouched Spear and one of this and one of that, I could make something similar that may or may not be a better build. I can only guess. If anyone would like to post their take on a similar Firestorm Build, Please include the items you are using, but remember that unless you are running similar numbers of key cards like 4 Immovable, 5-7 Inspiring Presence, and maximum Firestorm, your results may not be helpful.

5. Snorre Liljegren

Snorre Liljegren Mushroom Warrior

Ok, I think i will post my deck and reasonings, maybe that might help :) im currently about 1500 rating, been up to 1550, but the problem about this deck is that i sometimes meet someone 400 below me and loose, and that cost me A LOT of rating, on the other hand i also sometimes meet someone in 1700 and win. But i do meet ppl below me more more often´, so even though i have positive win/loose ratio, i still dont get better rating. Usually what goes wrong when i loose is that their war is up my face killing my 2 wiz in first turn because the map is small, or because of nimbus strike/team sprint and other awesome move cards.. Or because i get WW, so i am thinking about trying out immovable as you suggest :) it might help :)

Fire
    Level 18 Dwarf Wizard

and
    Level 20 Dwarf Priest

Storm
    Level 18 Dwarf Wizard

I use the Black Walnut Staff because of the light attacks, they might not seem that good, but actually this i quite often what i win at, because i get them very low, if not most of them dead before they get to me, and then kill them of with the light attacks. All the shimmering Aruas really do a LOT for surviving, they are quite often offered for savage curse though, so 2 Firehide Robes would probably be better if i had it, would also loose up a token to use for better arcane skill. im not sure though that perfect pyro will help much, since i often cast like 4-5 firestorms first turn, and the fire dam next turn aint doing so much compared..

the short perplexing rays are pretty nice when they get too close, or to remove resistant armors (or other annoying ones), which i have used it for quite a few times. I started out using 2 Godtouched Spear, but chanced one of them for Healing Hand Mace which as i said actually have saved me more than once :)

Sorry for my long from perfect english and bad spelling, and sorry for the double post, didnt know it wasnt allowed. Will edit in the future :)

6. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Very interesting build, although I imagine you wish you had a lot more Azgul's Orb and Chartwell's Ring rather than things like Pumpkin Bomb and Crown Of Mad Eskin.

I think the fact of the matter is that *no one* has all of the items and ability to have 18 Firestorms in their deck, or 7 X2 Inspiring Presence for that matter. I wish that their was {an option on the} test server you could put any cards you wanted into a deck for... testing purposes. Like PaladinGP said, it's probably for the best.

*EDIT* I am well aware of the test server. My interest is NOT in acquiring millions of pizza and opening chests until the cows come home. What I would like is the ability to select specific cards (just like a monster deck) and put them into situations where you can test certain combos easily and reliably. But that is a whole 'nother sack of potatoes.

No worries on the double post; but if you could edit+delete the two of them together that would be nice. ;]

7. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

There is a test sever, and it lets you use Paypal sandbox accounts so you can buy a million dollars of pizza if you want. Opening all those chests still takes time, though.