Instant Burn - Help me out

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Scarponi, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I have both White Flame and Red Flame but never use them, should I? I just don't see how to make Instant Burn better than another attack card. In a Firestorm build, I'd rather have more Firestorms, same thing for Ember Burst and pretty much for just about any burning card. With Instant Burn you have to have a good burning attack build already - it seems to me that doubling down on those attack cards would virtually always be more beneficial then following up with Instant Burn. Maybe Flame Jet or Glob Of Flame would benefit from Instant Burn, but it would be pretty hard to create an effective build around those with enough of them in your deck after tying up one (or two) staff slots for the Instant Burn cards.

Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks!

2. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

3. jday

jday Mushroom Warrior

4. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Yes, I suppose if you can time it with Firestarter it makes it much more effective.

5. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Hmmm, well in some sense I think you may have answered my question. That actually looks like a reasonable build with Instant Burn - I just happen to be missing 6 of the 10 items in that build, including all of the Arcane Items. Oh well, maybe my staffs will just have to sit for a while.

6. Ector

Ector Hydra

Holy crap! :rolleyes: I wish I had one of these wonderful staves...

Yes, they are worth using. Moreover, I am dreaming about White Flame! You need to collect many various burning spells to fully utilize Instant Burn. The best spells are Fireball, Ember Burst, Flame Jet and Glob Of Flame (in that order). The best trait is Firestarter, since the opponent may have no significant armor, or he may have Resistant Hide, and you'll have to remove it anyway. The best fire wizard is probably like this:

White Flame(minortoken)(minortoken)
    Staff Of Million Embers (majortoken)(majortoken)
    Rantic's Orb Of Inner Fire (majortoken)
    Rantic's Orb Of Inner Fire (majortoken)
    Miligar's Dragon Tongue (minortoken)
    Azgul's Orb
    Firehide Robes
    Bertha's Big Clogs
    Untrained Toughness
    Focused Pyromancy (minortoken)

6 * Instant Burn
    6 * Ember Burst
    3 * Flame Jet
    5 * Glob Of Flame
    2 * Boiling Armor
    4 * Firestorm
    3 * Firestarter
    1 * Resistant Hide
    1 * Reliable Mail
    1 * Officer's Harness
    1 * Walk
    1 * Shrug It Off
    1 * Parry
    1 * Reliable Hide Armor

This character has almost no armor compared to jday's, but he has no negative traits as well. Playing Combustible having 4 Firestorms is extremely risky.
    If you have a supporting priest with Savage Curses, this char will be able to burn all the enemies alone!

Sir Veza likes this.
  7. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

My best results on the test server used a build similar to Ector's with either Ember Burst or Fireball on the second staff. Note that Instant Burn triggers all the wizard's burning attachments regardless of the target. If you don't have LOS on an enemy you can target an ally with resistant hide or reliable mail and do little or no damage to your team while burning your opponents.
    It was fun to play with, but I found drawing cards in the right order was a bigger problem than drawing stacked attacks in a straight-up burning deck.

8. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

With my FS team I regularly use Instant Burn with Firestarter to finish the map a round early. It's fun to do. :)

I just recently discovered this and it is amazing!

Ector and Sir Veza like this.
  9. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Instant Burn can be a lot of fun! All you need is the right combination of cards. Having longer duration cards like Flame Spit, Glob of Flame and Flame Jet give you more chances to use Instant Burn then just Firestorm, Ember Burst or Fireball. Certainly Ember Burst and Fireball are flashier/easier to hit with and better against groups, but unless you have a draw priest it can be hard to get consistent results in tandem with Instant Burn.

10. Ector

Ector Hydra

This is true only if you don't have enough Instant Burns :) If you have White Flame, you will have 6 of them, and that's probably enough.
    Time works against you, since the opponent will use it to get close to your wizards. Thus, it's great to burn enemies as fast as you can. So the best spells are area-based like Fireball, Ember Burst and Flame Jet. You should try to get the various spells, since they are also used to remove the opponent's positive attachments. The best party IMHO should have a burning wizard, a supporting priest and a mixed damage-controlling wizard with freezing spells and armor-melting.

11. Here is my take on Insta-Burn, but it is untested. It is heavy on legendaries, naturally. I think that Martyr Blessing, Demonic Power, and Inspiration are crucial so you can get the cards in hand in a single turn to incinerate an opponent's character. You really want to go off on a turn where you just stack 3 attachments, then drop instant burn(s) and watch them go up in a puff of smoke. I may not have enough armor removal, but further testing would reveal that, and maybe the Rod of Winds could be swapped out for armor removal arcane items.

Flying Lotus
    Level 5 Dwarf Wizard

Gitrik
    Level 15 Dwarf Priest

Sun Ra
    Level 6 Dwarf Wizard

12. doog37

doog37 Hydra

I have been working on a Instant burn wiz myself and it is a tough build since half of the burning cards and most of the good ones Fireball, ember burst, fire spit, Sizzling Bolt and Instant burn are only on Staves. So you really need to max out your staves. I have a Staff of the Fire God (2 Fireballs, 1 Instant burn, but then 1 Glob and 2 magma spray which are both found commonly on arcane items) and I have been trying other staves with it each which has it's issues. I think I need to buy a Red Flame (in Randi's for me right now) 3 Ember Burst and 3 Instant burn, but then I lose the chance for any long range that is not a burst attack, or drop the fireballs and use a Charring staff for the range (3 sizzling bolt, 3 flame spit). Now that I type out that combo I get 3 embers 3IB, 3, Flame Spit and 3 Sizzling for 2Y 2B tokens.

I am fortunate enough to have 1 Rantic's Orb Of Inner Fire and 1 Boxton's Red Pendant which give me 2 globs and 2 flame jets with 2 good utility card (Telekenesis and Boiling armor) and have been trying different of the 0 token burning arcane items or making sacrafices for 1 more blue token.
    These include: Gaudekki's Orb, Ring Of Hot Spikes, Fiery Shard and Magma Spiral for the tokenless.
    Too many 1 token items to mention, but Rod Of Falling Cinders for the Gusts of War and Mathilda's Locket for the Flash Flood and Cone of Cold, but they dont have the Flame Jets or Globs of Flame (and to a lesser extant Magma spray 3 Burning but short range) that I am really looking for burn my opponents down with.
    I have bene sticking with Forceful Robes (Force Cone had a nice buff if you haven't seen it) and Perfect Toughness and boots with Team Run (usually Salazar's Sandles) or Turquoise boots for the sparkling plus Quickness aura.

I wish instant burn triggered any burning that your team cast not just the specific wizard, otherwise I would LOVE Overheated staff.
    I think I might have to integrate more Firestorm, but other than Firehide robes I dont have any 2 FS items (non-staff). A Brin's Sotrm Locket or a Wym's Fiery Pin would be a perfect add, but probably not in the cards right now.

13. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

White Flame is pretty much the best thing for burn wizards, combined with Focused Pyromancy. I don't have any items with ludicrous amounts of Ember Burst, but I do have a Searing Pain, which works very well most of the time along with providing a minor source of direct damage. Miligar's Dragon Tongue and Smoag's Bucket Of Pitch are long range options for the bourgeois, and if warriors move to take out your wizard (and they always move to take out your wizard, let's be real), Magma Spirals and Scorching Wands are cheap and effective ways of really getting things... heating up. :cool:

14. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

My main issue about Instant Burn and fire in general is that the best advantage about it (not requiring line of sight with Fireball, Ember Burst and sometimes Flame Jet) is neglected by the fact that you do have to get in los to remove armor, as any decent armor will shut your build down badly. I have good items with Instant Burn such as Red Flame, White Flame and Overheated Staff (2) and other good fire staves and arcane items like Searing Pain or Avakiria's Cup, but could never combine the amount of Fire spells, armor removal, movility and control my team needed. I tried it after the balance changes, and as one of my opponent's said to me, fire got the short end of the stick in terms of damage, which makes it very unstable.

15. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Except I'm running it in the front page atm ;)
    Edit: as this thread's author has already witnessed himself :p

16. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Just played a game with a Flamestorm wizard like so:

Level 18 Dwarf Wizard
    Red Flame
    Red Flame
    Rantic's Orb Of Inner Fire
    Avakiria's Cup
    Brin's Storm Locket
    Berian's Locket
    Firehide Robes
    Garalem's Boots
    Focused Pyromancy
    Perfect Toughness

6X Instant Burn
    6X Ember Burst
    5X Glob of Flame
    1X Flame Jet
    4X Firestorm

2X Stone Spikes
    1X Forgetfullness
    etc

With the help of a priest and another wizard, this guy annihilated the enemy team with Firestarter followed by a single Instant Burn two turns later.

Would be neat to get Wellspring or something on the guy, but it's not really necessary. The enemy's armor barely slowed him down.

Ector likes this.
  17. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

I would say that Hot Flames would help with armor, but it's kind of like saying Battlefield training is a useful card: it's only useful situationally, while the slot can be used by much better.

18. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

You really want to stick with only Focused Pyromancy; you want to be able to play support cards along with Firestorm without losing the Firestarter.

19. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

No armor removal? Or you had it on the other wizard? Otherwise, you may have been lucky that your opponent wasn't running or didn't draw armor, because a single Reliable Mail can neglect most of the damage. Besides, with the increased importance of priests, I guess you also have to deal with healing cards and Nimbus, right?

20. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

There's a Boiling Armor on this wizard, and two more on my other wizard along with Short Perplexing Rays. My opponents thus far drew Reliable Mail and some other armor cards, but they really didn't make a difference, at least not yet. They die pretty quickly :)