Improve my warrior deck

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by scorpion_wins, Dec 31, 2013.

1. On the last map rotation I ran a 2 wizard/1 warrior deck and achieved a 1700 rank quite easily. The build does less well on the current rotation and levels out around 1400-1500. Rather than tweak my deck I'd like to try something new. I'd rather play for entertainment than rank, so switching to full DCW doesn't interest me. Instead I've been toying with various iterations of 2 warrior decks. 2 warrior/1 priest definitely seems to be more successful for me than 2 warrior/1 wizard and also slightly more preferable given I've spent so long playing wizards.

This is the current deck I'm using. I could load up on more Hard To Pin and Toughness if required, but I assume movement/team movement takes priority over those on the current rotation. An area I could change would be adding even more parry, esp for the 2nd warrior, as other warrior teams are all that really run now anyway. Any cons or improvements I'd be most interested to hear. If you think I should be using different races, explain why. I have most items (no VP) so can accommodate most changes.

Warrior 1, Dwarf

Double-Edged Sword
    Blocking Mace
    Nifty Halberd

Tough Leather Cap
    Slippery Shield
    Emperor's Plate
    Salazar's Sandals

Untrained Toughness
    Novice Impaling

Warrior 2, Dwarf

Bejeweled Shortsword
    Double-Edged Sword
    Nifty Halberd

Tough Leather Cap
    Slippery Shield
    Gauntlets Of The Giant
    Red Jon's Boots

Advanced Toughness
    Novice Impaling

Priest, Dwarf

Dark Drewg's Mace
    Nimbus Blade

Bullseye Shield
    Untouchable Plate
    Wlakwa's Boots

St. Bethan's Charm
    Shuddering Relic
    Shielding Token

Advanced Toughness
    Superb Devotion

2. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

OK, well it would be nice to know what other notable items you have at your disposal, and what decks you are having trouble against. Currently the game seems to be, rush to the victory location and hold off the other guy. Problems come from pesky frost wizards, lava, and winds, or the occasional frenzy warrior.

Fundamentally, I don't see the point of the frenzy priest if 2/3 your party are all equipped with Arrogant Armor. Either ditch the Arrogant or use some different items without Unholy Frenzy and Mass Frenzy.

Let's start with the Warriors.
    The weapons are good, although personally I would use Warrior's Mace over Blocking Mace. If you feel the need for the extra Parry on one warrior than stick with it.
    The Slippery Shields are good, but the Tough Leather Caps are questionable. I would try and get my All Out Attacks elsewhere and use Crusty or Wealking's Helm.
    Again, the Emperor's Plate makes no sense to me. Try Vibrant Plate or go tokenless with Dependable Mail or Solid Mail. Then give Warrior 1 Solid Rock or Perfect Toughness. I think he would like that.

The Priest is a troublesome one. Dark Drewg's Mace is a nasty weapon, and the Unholy Frenzy on it are nice too. Nimbus Blade is good but Whiteglow Flail would be better. Untouchable Plate is pointless with Mass Frenzy in some games, try Burnished Plates or go tokenless, or try Mail Of Succor. Bullseye Shield is cool but Spellthwart Shield or something would probably be better than being slowed by Stuck Arrow. I rather like Stuck Arrow, but it's just not worth it. Shuddering Relic is good and so is Shielding Token. However, I have never seen someone use Superb Devotion. Seems like a waste of a gold talent to me. Either go with Novice Piety, or pick the one with 2 Altruism and Healing Rays/Greater Heal.
    Hope that helps...

3. I agree re the Arrogant Armor. I think I was trying to be too much of an anti-everything deck rather than focusing on one area and stacking that.

I have switched to Dependable Mail for warrior 1. I do have another Gauntlets Of The Giant I could use on him, but I can't figure in that token cost (possibly could ditch Tough Leather Cap, but team moves are so vital right now). For the priest I have switched to Mail Of Succor and will experiment with that. Other available priest armours that seem appealing (but may not be) are St. Borgun's Plate, Mail Of St. Aulx and Blessed Mail.

I do have a Whiteglow Flail so will see how that fares vs Nimbus Blade. I have a Healing Hand Mace also but that just doesn't seem functional enough. Other priest viable options for this deck seem to be Bynzer's Black Spear and Heavy Mace but I don't see the point of using up tokens on those.

I do have Lochaber Axe available for a warrior but it just seems like Bejeweled Sword is a better option.

4. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Here's how I would build a team with your items.

Lvl 18 Human Priest
    Dark Drewg's Mace
    [​IMG]X2Nimbus Blade OR Whiteglow Flail (Your choice)

Spellthwart Shield /Icicle Shield/etc (You might like a general purpose shield for battling close to the front line with those Strong Bludgeons)
    [​IMG]Mail Of Succor
    [​IMG]Wlakwa's Boots (Use Rhood's Boots or Salazar's Sandals if you have them)

[​IMG]St. Bethan's Charm
    Shuddering Relic
    [​IMG]Shielding Token

[​IMG]Perfect Command (Dash Team+Run Team + Flanking Move)
    [​IMG]Advanced Piety OR Advanced Cleansing

This priest doesn't have as much Mass Frenzy as I would like... but oh well. Personally, given the number of Nimble Strikes at your disposal, and your two Dwarf Warriors, I would use a lot more.
    On the plus side, now there are 3 team moves in the deck to push those warrior into position. That's what I do like.

Now for your warriors....

Warrior 1, Dwarf

[​IMG]X2Bejewelled Shortsword
    [​IMG]X2Lochaber Axe
    Nifty Halberd

[​IMG]Tough Leather Cap
    [​IMG]Slippery Shield
    Dependable Mail / [​IMG]Gauntlets Of The Giant
    [​IMG]Salazar's Sandals / Your favorite tokenless boots

[​IMG]Perfect ToughnessORSolid Rock
    Novice Impaling

4 Powerful Attacks. 5 Vicious Thrusts. 5 Nimble Strikes. Man am I jealous. This guy takes the front line and takes names.

Warrior 2, Dwarf

[​IMG][​IMG]Double-Edged Sword
    []()Double-Edged Sword //You can use a Mace here if you like...
    Nifty Halberd

[​IMG]Tough Leather Cap
    [​IMG]Slippery Shield
    [​IMG]Gauntlets Of The Giant
    Red Jon's Boots

[​IMG]Perfect ToughnessORSolid Rock
    Novice Impaling

Dwarf #2 here is all about zipping around and stabbing people. Double-Edged Sword is really good and complements those Flanking Move very well. This is the kind of character where it would actually be pretty cool to use the Shield Of Ultimate Dodging.

You might also consider swapping a Gauntlets of the Giant for Dependable Mail and Novice Impaling for Frenzied Slicing or Powered Slicing. I might even go for Superb Impaling on Dwarf #2 because I am insane like Impaling Stab so much. But anywho... Whaddya think?

PS Seriously, why is the image cap at 20 when you need 24 tokens to build a 3 person team?

scorpion_wins likes this.
  5. Thanks for the detailed reply, this is all good food for thought and I'll be experimenting with a lot of this. Switching away from the Arrogants has certainly helped. I may view having the 2 extra Nimbus as a luxury and could instead switch in St. Hongjin's Soulstone to make up more frenzy.

6. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Cool, experiment away. You can use Arrogant Armor in the future but you will have to use more healing (Or a Wizard!) and stay away from frenzy/nimbus.
    That Soulstone is cool, although you might consider Incense Of Roiled Air for synergy with Altruism.
    Also, you can try Novice Piety, Novice Ablution or Trained Cleansing (Tokenless) so you can switch out Shuddering Relic instead, it's up to you.