Gladiatorial Arena, Qualifiers, entire party 1 shotted?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by ProtoZealott, Sep 16, 2013.

1. ProtoZealott

ProtoZealott Kobold

On the 2nd battle of the above mentioned campaign, after several attempts my level 10 group was finally able to kill the hulk and the dwarf, with only the 2 fairly weak (or so I thought) enemies left. All 3 of my guys were alive, and with a bit of luck everyone had around 10 health and victory seemed inevitable at this point. So I was relaxed, sitting back, when all of a sudden one of the enemies I thought was no threat, played something quickly that killed my entire team. My biggest gripe is I have the animation set to 10, and was sitting back, so it all ended way to quickly for me to even comprehend what just took place.

So now I reach the two real points of this post
    1. What, just killed me?
    2. As a suggestion to the devs, could you guys let us check the battle log after being beaten, this way we can see what killed us in future situations like this.

2. Colliwinks

Colliwinks Kobold

Sounds like the festering zombie trait which causes 18 damage to all characters within 2, on their death. Hard to say how this triggered on their turn, probably either terrain damage from lava, or reflected damage from spiked armour.

Agree with 2: Would be nice to access the combat log (and chat log for MP) after a battle.

3. xienwolf

xienwolf Goblin Champion

They have a trait that makes them do 18 damage to all adjacent tiles when they die. You must be at range (preferably with the dwarf or orc near the zombie) when you kill them.

4. ProtoZealott

ProtoZealott Kobold

Ahh, I see, good to know. Thanks for the answers. Next time I'll try to kite them with my mage instead of confronting them head on.

5. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Be cautious, since they might draw Resistant Hide. Prepare your card types in advance, or prepare to sacrifice somebody for the good of the team.

6. Dashel

Dashel Kobold

Yeah sounds like Festering Gut (I think that's the name). Note that you can use it to your advantage, I used it as a bomb to blow up three opponents from range last night in the Arena finals.

That resistant hide is a pain though yes. As is heavy armor.

7. Cruq

Cruq Kobold

It's smart to have discard card on mage or cleric for hide. As for Festering Gut it's probably this as I lost the vary same arena to that. Kinda funny though as I killed him first so it should be my victory :confused:

8. xienwolf

xienwolf Goblin Champion

Acid for hide removal, or terrain effects to get past it with a decent size punch. And don't forget that spears will also leave you out of explosion range, so it isn't exclusive Wizard territory for safe killing. And of course you can just wait till the trait expires, but using the trait for bonus damage against the other two is very nice.

I believe that the trait triggers the same way that Lifesaving Block does. Activates when lethal damage is coming at you. So technically they "blow up" while still alive, which is why you cannot suicide a win.